Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 76 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: Davidsamuels ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne Topic Next Topic: An inventory challenge
Page: of 56

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  4:30:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nice interpretation of the prototype.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  8:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thatís an interesting looking bridge, James. Nice job on the model.

George

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  8:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More scenery progress:

The future site of BEST's "Clam Box" kit has a fence and a parking area. The Atlas "post & rail" fence is about right for a roadside attraction of the era, but I need to either weather it in the direction of gray, or paint it white. And then do something about power/phone poles along the road, and solve the cable guard problem.

I'm debating whether to use the self-stick commercial road you can see. The color is pretty good, but the center line should be double yellow.

I'm got some grass mats on order for Little River, to see if I can do a better salt marsh than with fake fur. The landscape needs a little more stonework and painting and detailing the river banks first, though.

The next scene to the right (East) is the US 1 overpass, but I've gone as far as I can without finalizing the design of the bridge. My friend who works for the state copied me some pictures from the archive, but I don't see a commercial path to the piers. Worst case, I have to make four patterns and mold/cast all I'll need. I've never done that before, but much has been written about it.

I've also done a lot of work on the High St. overpass area, but it hasn't gotten beyond bare screen yet. I'm feeling good about how I laid it out, even though I had to compress it a lot.

Edited by - jbvb on 05/01/2011 8:55:11 PM

MikeMc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  12:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeMc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man, the frost heaves this past winter did a real number on your road!

Mike McNamara
Delran, NJ
nekrailroad.com

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  12:47:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeMc

Mike McNamara
Delran, NJ
nekrailroad.com

Either that, or there was an unreported Magnitude 7+ earthquake on Cape Ann that didn't get covered in the news. I can't wait to see the clam shack there (and that makes me hungry for a plate of clam bellies, something not on my diet that I occasionally head to Legal Seafoods for an indulgence.)

dave

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  5:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello James, that's a fabulous image of the 3821 at the bottom of the previous page! Your layout is really coming along beautifully.

Your cutaway area for the narrow stream promises to turn out to be a lovely scene. I've found that when I've had to cut away the terrain for even the smallest of streams, I had to go pretty wide for the embankments...even if there is a creek!

I hope to someday get down your way to see the trains run on your B&M layout! Keep up the great work.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  6:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeMc

Mike McNamara
Delran, NJ
nekrailroad.com

Michigan road.

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  07:31:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys, I'll get the DPW out to put up "Frost Heaves" signs.

An earthquake is actually a risk here. It hasn't gotten any scientific notice, but there are stumps of full-size trees upright in the sand about 3' below low spring tide on beaches in Hampton and Rye, NH. AFAIK, that only happens one way.

I'm about an hour north of Boston and welcome visitors (let me know in advance so you won't be tripping over things and sneezing while I blow the dust off the layout).

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  10:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finished installing screen on either side of High St. in Newburyport the other night, and applied wood putty glop last night and tonight. After I cleaned up, I shot a panorama of the north end of the attic, but lost the last few shots due to a download error. Here's the more complete part:

I'll re-take the east side over the weekend.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  10:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

This is coming along very nicely!

Pete
in Michigan

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  07:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good!

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  1:03:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The river is going to be nice. Have you considered using real stones in the river bottom? Maybe to emulate the current on the bends with white water current going around the rocks.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  10:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are the rest of the panorama pictures, taken with a new camera. I don't like it's "auto picture" exposure as well as the old one, though the black paint on the roads and retaining walls was still wet and doesn't help the poor microchip.

High St. overpass area.

Newburyport depot site.

Where the Merrimac River will go someday (it decided it needed flash for this one).

I guess I'll read more of the 300 pg. manual over the weekend.

Lynn and Mike, the Little River scene will be a tidal creek amid salt marsh, so neither rocks nor white water are planned. It should look more or less like (but hopefully better than) the Rowley River area.

SDB
Section Hand

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  7:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi James,

I happened to see your Rowley NMRA module, which you show in photos above, at the Hub Div show in Lexington, MA last December. Very nice work! It really looks like a quiet town on the North Shore.

Are you permanently building it into your layout? Or is it removable so you can still exhibit it in module shows?

Stuart

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  07:13:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Stuart, Rowley and Rowley River remain removable and I expect to bring them to several shows next season. In the topmost picture on this page, you can see the (RR) easterly joint. The 3/4" gap required to slide the first one out is occupied by a foam filler strip which I'm attempting to scenic so as to hide the joint. I brushed Weldwood contact cement on the top of the strip and sprinkled scenery materials. I'm reasonably satisfied with it so far, but the fixed layout edge needs more work.

Page: of 56 Previous Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne Topic Next Topic: An inventory challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000