Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 58 ]  [ Total: 61 ]  [ Newest Member: Csarnick ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: CMX Track Cleaning Car
Page: of 62

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  01:23:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would suggest the Walther's Freight Office. It is of similar construction and window design.

Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Edited by - nhguy on 03/07/2011 01:23:59 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  06:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce, the receiving area is 21" long. The tentative plan has the main Bldg. 41 twice the height and perhaps as much as 30" long, with me doing something clever & photographic about angling it into the backdrop at the right end.

Bill, no sooner do I build this than I find a photo of 41 before the windows were covered with corrugated fiberglass panels: The main part uses metal-frame masonry windows; think two Walthers' locomotive shop stacked vertically, with three floors behind the bottom's windows and two behind the top's. I'm considering where else in the complex I can use my receiving area - possibly Bldg. 30 (foundry), which was built earlier.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  10:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't done much actual modeling in the past couple of weeks, and next weekend I'm taking Rowley to the Greenberg show in Wilmington, MA. However, I have been making progress: Ron G., who I met via the BM_RR@yahoogroups.com list, gave me a copy of the ICC valuation survey of the Newburyport depot (he got it from the B&M RR archives in Lowell):

I know of a dozen photos from this angle; I have yet to find evidence of a photographer actually walking around the building. Given the survey, I've been working on a drawing:

This plan view is full size; once I get the windows done I will start experimenting with how to shrink it to fit my space. The roof itself is 80' road to track, and I have at best 70' or so.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  7:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I get stalled on one thing, the railroad has plenty of other opportunities: I had been thinking about how to do the salt marsh banks of the Little River, just railroad-west of Newburyport. I had done the Rowley marshes with screen, but I had trouble keeping both banks flat and at the same level. Here I used masonite:

I'm planning to use Enviro-Tex for water, so I'm taking care to level everything. Next I made "bathtubs" for the river bottom using more masonite and 3/4" high strips of plywood; the straight pencil lines show the edges of the "bathtubs". The second one (shown) I knew to scribe and cut the curved ends *before* adding the plywood strips.

They should be dry now. I'll fasten them in place after I've cut the outline of the river. I'll make the near-vertical part of the banks from screen and wood putty.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  10:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last night I cut out the river and glued the 'bathtubs' into place. Tonight I cut away the stone culvert area and installed screen wire.

Then I got started on support for the US 1 overpass at Newburyport West, as I need that designed before I can add screen on the E. shore. Then I'll do the river banks.

Some time before it gets hot, I really should get un-stalled on roughing in scenery - by the end of this week, I'll likely have about 25 sq. feet of screen waiting for me...

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  11:23:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote

MisterBill
Section Hand

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  12:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Layout's coming along nicely, and that station is really cool! The turret looks like a giant .45 slug.
It'll make for one very unique structure.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  1:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Newburyport Depot must have been the inspiration for this new landmark building in London: http://www.homedit.com/london-gherkin-an-unusual-eggshaped-building/

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  4:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some fine Sunday in the middle of the week, I'll get down to the Newburyport Public Library and search the 1892 newspapers for an 'official' reason for that tower. Much later, one author said it was made to look like a salt marsh haystack. The 1915 valuation survey doesn't show access to it other than up a ladder and through the attic. Then there's the two small windows and the vestigial gable (if it was for a clock, it was gone by 1915). I suppose it goes to show that an architect *will* find a way to spend the budget; it's entirely covered in slate, as is the arched gable facing the tracks behind it.

Luckily for me, the valuation surveyor drew it's shape in some detail, so he could figure out the volume.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  08:04:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been thinking about "ground goop" for a while, because Savogran Wood Putty (no longer available) is my favorite scenery material but it can be tricky to mix (a sloppy mix will set up faster than plaster) and apply. Yesterday I got off the dime and experimented with mixing it with sawdust and brown latex paint. All but one of my test batches set up overnight; the one that didn't probably had too much sawdust, but I'm still hoping. The one that was easiest to work with was 2 parts paint, 3 water, 4 sawdust and 8 Wood Putty. Alas, while it had a working time of an hour or more, the part that I left in the sealed tub overnight was hard as a rock this morning. Pictures later, but I'm well along on what was 20 sq. ft of bare screen at noon Saturday.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  07:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Word was out there was steam on the Eastern route. The fans set up overlooking Little River, and waited quite a while:

It was even clean (rare in this era) but what was that funny piece of work equipment?

Before I got started on the ground goop, I did a little stonework on the Forerock bridge (built by the Eastern RR of granite slabs). There's a lot more ground goop to go, but there are also a couple of scenes I can finish and photograph.

And then the odd: it's an old house, so I hear Deathwatch beetles once in a while. Yesterday afternoon one sounded loud and odd. I looked around and it was drumming on the roofwalk of a boxcar trying to find a mate. Evolution didn't favor that strategy, but now I've actually seen one.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  10:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've applied a lot of ground cover around the 1A overpass and Little River, as well as some other areas where I had bare screen. This evening I started on grass (just WS dyed sawdust for the RR-owned strip to start) and it looked like there might be a few decent photo locations.

I'll return to this place when I've got the scenery farther along; I'll set lights up for better depth of field.

Edited by - jbvb on 04/10/2011 10:01:40 PM

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  1:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote

SDB
Section Hand

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  8:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice photo of the B&M passenger train! I particularly like the highway bridge in the background. What's the story with it? Kit? Scratchbuild?

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  10:35:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The bridge is a selectively-compressed model of the Rt. 1a overpass at Eastern Route MP 31.9 in Rowley MA. Per a friend who does bridge engineering for the Commonwealth, it was built in two stages: The concrete arch to the RR east was built in 1907. The road was widened in 1931 with concrete-encased beams on the west side. The line was single tracked in 1959 and is used by MBTA commuter trains to Newburyport; freight service ended in 1983.

I scratchbuilt the bridge structure from wood (pillars, abutments) and styrene (arch, retaining walls). using Rix beams and balustrade moldings. I have an article in progress, which I plan to submit once I can take some "finished" photos.

This weekend was devoted to scenery work, including the greenery and fences. The photo reveals a bunch of things I've got to fix, mostly painting the fence and abutments and trimming the copper wire holding it to the posts, so not quite yet...

Page: of 62 Topic Next Topic: CMX Track Cleaning Car  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000