Railroad Line Forums - Harrisburg Terminal Railroad (HTRR)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: buc45 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Harrisburg Terminal Railroad (HTRR)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: My Layout... Topic Next Topic: Birth of a Harbour - HO Scale
Page: of 117

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  10:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job with the mock ups Rick. What are you using to attach the paper to the mockups?

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  10:44:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a 'mock up'? Geez, looks good enough to be a finished model!!! Market Street is looking great Rick. Keep it going! Before you know it, the branch line will be in and need your attention.

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  01:05:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Seriously? That's just a mock up? You know If I were you I add some internal bracing, some roof details and weathering and call it good. Looks like an almost finished model to me to.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  07:05:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My apologies for the miscommunication, guys....the buildings will start out as mock ups, then become completed models using the Scale Scenes materials....or at least that's my intention.

Bill: that's exactly what I will be doing next: adding internal bracing, roof, and details, then plopping it in place. Chicago Bridge and Iron will be done in the same manner; the Scale Scenes "kit" includes an alternative white siding as well as some lower brick walls which I'll use on that building.

Bob: that's the "Uhu" glue stick I was referring to; I picked it up at A.C. Moore. Apparently made in Germany, it was recommended on a couple of the paper modeling forums I haunt and appears to have pretty darn good holding power....nothing I've glued with it has come apart....yet. LOL.

If you are interested in seeing how well this medium can work, take a look at Jim Musser's blog here: http://mussersteelmill.blogspot.com/ About halfway down the page is an entry about the Scale Scenes container crane kit he built...click the pictures for an enlargement. Now THAT'S impressive! Jim got started building their free download of an low relief warehouse; Clever Models is another source of very nice "kits" too as well as different textures for "paperbashing".

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  07:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a follow up to my previous post, here's a few shots of the "completed and no longer a mock up" 84 Lumber:

This paperbashing thing is getting addictive...

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  11:29:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick, that looks awesome. So if I understood your picture trail, the original, all "vanilla" building was what you deemed a mock-up to get the shape and idea of where the Scale Scenes items needed to be placed. The follow-on pictures were of you building on top of the mock-up with the Scale Scenes items, not another building, correct? After seeing your work and a number of recent articles in magazines recently, I think we're going to see paper modeling make some significant inroads for structures and other details,

Phil

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  2:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sjconrail

Rick, that looks awesome. So if I understood your picture trail, the original, all "vanilla" building was what you deemed a mock-up to get the shape and idea of where the Scale Scenes items needed to be placed. The follow-on pictures were of you building on top of the mock-up with the Scale Scenes items, not another building, correct? After seeing your work and a number of recent articles in magazines recently, I think we're going to see paper modeling make some significant inroads for structures and other details,

Phil

That is correct, Phil.....looking back, my choice of wording was a little misleading. The original mock up seen in the earlier picture was disassembled, laminated with the Scale Scenes siding, doors, etc, and then reassembled. If you look close, you'll notice that the foundation of the finished version is just the bare illustration board...I picked up a light buff colored sheet last time I was at the art supply store thinking it might make a decent looking concrete. With the exception of the roof vents, AC unit, downspouts, and stairs, everything else came from the Scale Scenes PDF.

A final footnote: if you''re thinking about going with paper, sealing it with a clear finish is something all the experts recommend, but be careful what you use. Luckily for me, I actually thought ahead and tried spraying several cast-off pieces of siding with different brands of sealers, one of which ruined the printed surface (Valspar Clear Flat). I ended up using several LIGHT coats of Krylon Clear Matte, both inside and out, to seal the model.

Steam just sent me a text awhile ago that he notified OSHA about the missing handrails for the steps, so those, along with a couple of lights, are the remaining items to be added.

I'll take a few pictures of the CB&I project and post them (if it comes out OK, that is!).

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  2:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done. When you get motivated, there is no stopping you. Did you do anything special with the Scale Scenes roofing?

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  4:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BN_Fan

Nicely done. When you get motivated, there is no stopping you. Did you do anything special with the Scale Scenes roofing?

Thanks, Bob.... the roof isn't Scale Scenes but instead nothing more than blue masking tape spray painted gray with seam lines drawn in using gray chalk....was trying for the rubber membrane roofs commonly found on commercial structures.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  10:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your era is about 1965, given the power I see and lack of mating worms anywhere? That style of 'diaphragm' for the truck doors, combined with the light roof color, make me think 84 Lumber has *just* moved to that location. They look good, just with more of a '70s flavor than a '60s flavor to my eye.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  09:14:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Your era is about 1965, given the power I see and lack of mating worms anywhere? That style of 'diaphragm' for the truck doors, combined with the light roof color, make me think 84 Lumber has *just* moved to that location. They look good, just with more of a '70s flavor than a '60s flavor to my eye.

Good point; when starting the Market Street extension, Mark asked me for the customer names in order to configure them into the waybill system; stuck for an answer, I simply blurted out "84 Lumber" and didn't give it much thought until I actually started figuring out the building itself. Your premise regarding the time period is very close; it's October, 1966 on the Seven Miles of Sheer Hell Route....which sent me to Wikipedia to confirm if 84 Lumber was even in business then (it was started in 1956).

As far as the doors and roof covering is concerned, I can't honestly say whether they existed in 10/66 or not....

Edited by - Harsco on 04/14/2012 09:18:04 AM

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  1:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,

Looks great. I wish I had your motivation, talent and speed; my layout would be done by now.

Lance Mindheim is using a lot of paper modeling on his new layout and it looks great in photos too. I wondered if in person you still get a 3D effect and the feel of the texture?

Thanks,
Dave

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  5:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grubes

Rick,

Looks great. I wish I had your motivation, talent and speed; my layout would be done by now.

Lance Mindheim is using a lot of paper modeling on his new layout and it looks great in photos too. I wondered if in person you still get a 3D effect and the feel of the texture?

Thanks,
Dave

Thanks for the nice comments, Dave... not certain about the talent, but in this case I was motivated by the possibilities offered. Best part about this approach is that replacement "parts" can be easily printed out when I screw up!

Mr. Mindheim has been an ongoing inspiration; I regularly check his website and have marveled at how realistic the models look. His eye-level videos of the layout are fantastic to watch...

As far as the 3D effect and texture goes, I think it's an "eye of the beholder" thing. I've used printed corrugated siding to good effect with several of the Harsco Shipping buildings and since then have found even better looking siding that even has the bolts showing, something I'd never do on plastic siding.

In my case, I rarely tend to notice specific details when viewing a layout (as opposed to a specific model), but instead, take in the entire scene to decide if it "looks real" to me. Individual models though, are different since they are the sole focus of a person's attention.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  11:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, the finished 84 Lumber looks awesome! Nice job!

Dave, I'll add my comments and say YES! Frankly, I think these paper models, when done carefully, look MUCH better than a plastic model, and the reason is simple.... they are pictures of the real thing! Some of the brick buildings Rick has done are amamzing. I don't think anyone can duplicate the level of, shall I say 'weathering detail' that these 'photos' give.

As for the 3D effect, well I have always been of the opinion that we tend to overstate our 'textures' so they can be seen. Take brick for example. In real life, a mortar line is maybe a 1/4" deep, give or take. But how deep are they on our models? Or an asphalt road. We tend to overstate the texture on our layouts when in fact asphalt is very smooth, relatively speaking. So even though the sides of these buildings are flat since they are pictures, they are probably close to 'scale' in texture, and the appearance is perfect... in my humble opinion!

This converstation could go on forever as I'm sure there are others that might disagree. Rick, since this is YOUR topic, it might be interesting to start a thread with this building medium, perhaps in the Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner folder, showing off some of your work as you have done here, so that others that may not frequent this thread can appreciate what you are doing. I would be really interested to read some opionions of some of our resident craftsmen on this topic and hear their feedback.

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  02:11:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
ON your background buildings did you use the same glue stick to adhere the buildings to the foamboard or something like 3M spray adhesive?

Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Page: of 117 Previous Topic: My Layout... Topic Next Topic: Birth of a Harbour - HO Scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 2.83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000