Railroad Line Forums - Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: Dec. 2018 Modeling Year In Review Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3
Page: of 37

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  7:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lurker

... Oh ya one more thing Gregg did you by chance photograph the other/backside of this building and if so could you please let us see what it looks like?.Thanks again!

Greg,

Hmmm, a guy with the handle "Lurker" is interested in pictures of backsides. Why am I not surprised? I drove by The Barn the other evening, on the way to Carl's and was able to take a couple quick shots, including one of the rear. This beauty has to get built!!

Gregg

belg
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  07:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gregg, did you measure anything to be able to scale the building? I agree that it needs to be build and have saved all your pics to make an attempt at it in the future. The afore mentioned question would be much appreciated, thanks Pat

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  08:30:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by belg

Gregg, did you measure anything to be able to scale the building? I agree that it needs to be build and have saved all your pics to make an attempt at it in the future. The afore mentioned question would be much appreciated, thanks Pat

Pat, Pat, Pat. Let me get this straight. I am 3000 miles from home on business, driving down a country road, find this barn and I am supposed to stop, pull out a ladder and tape measure and get all the dimensions of this baby before the farmer decides to introduce me to some buckshot? (It's bad enough that Lurker has me sneaking around taking pictures of the backside.) I cannot believe how demanding you all are!! Ok, I'll fess up, I actualy thought about how to scale this beauty. So I did the best I could do under the circumstances and made sure my Hundai rental car was in one of the pictures. (If you look back you will see the white SRV). We can get the length of the car and then scale everything from there.

Gregg

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  09:08:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Great structures indeed Greg, thanks for posting. This storefront definately has lots of interest and may appear in a thread near you shortly .
Thanks,
Karl.A

Karl,

Yes, this unusual structure demands to be modeled. Notice how it even sits on a sloping grade. Because it was so interesting, I tried to take enough photos to work with. Here are a few more to help us out.

Gregg

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  09:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That last close-up was particularly valuable, as I didn't realize the diagonal panels were also clapboard siding...

This set is a super study in decoration and weathering, thanks much for posting them all!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  10:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

That last close-up was particularly valuable, as I didn't realize the diagonal panels were also clapboard siding...

This set is a super study in decoration and weathering, thanks much for posting them all!

dave

Dave,

Yes, there are some great details in this structure. And the diagonal application should give us a whole new set of design ideas to work with. Here are a few more shots of the clapboard siding.

Gregg

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  10:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pictures, Gregg. Where are the nail holes?

George

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  11:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great shots Gregg, those small diagonal siding inserts will give those of you who have a stack of "it'll be usefull for something someday" little offcut pieces of sheet clapboard saved a use for them

As you appear to be taking requests Gregg...... could you hop up onto the roof and see what modeling gems are up there, with the camera of course

Any idea of the exact location, street name, zip, etc, google earth should supply a layout/floorplan.

Thanks for taking the time to shoot and post.

Karl.A

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  12:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gregg
I think Pat is right. You should have risked life and limb and carry at all times a Stanley 25 foot tape measure. If you should get arrested, we'll all chip in for the bail and if unfortunately the buckshot finds it's mark first, we will be glad to visit you in the hospital. I tip my hat to such a brave soul, who risks his life and limb, to 'bring home the bacon' for his fiends and fellow forum buddies.
Peter

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  1:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Where are the nail holes?

Well when clapboard is done -correctly-, the nails holding each row of clapboard are hidden by the overhang of the next row.

If you look carefully at the side shots, you can see the subtle change in weathering color along each vertical joist. But no nail holes!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  2:05:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave
You're right, the builder screwed up!
Peter

Don Brimmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  3:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gregg, that barn is going to look great in N Scale!!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  5:34:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The backside of the barn, in the first shot of this page, is absolutely gorgeous.

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  7:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great photos Gregg!

I especially like the satellite dish!..

belg
Fireman

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  08:23:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GreggW

quote:
Originally posted by belg

Pat, Pat, Pat. Let me get this straight. I am 3000 miles from home on business, driving down a country road, find this barn and I am supposed to stop, pull out a ladder and tape measure and get all the dimensions of this baby before the farmer decides to introduce me to some buckshot? (It's bad enough that Lurker has me sneaking around taking pictures of the backside.) I cannot believe how demanding you all are!! Ok, I'll fess up, I actualy thought about how to scale this beauty. So I did the best I could do under the circumstances and made sure my Hundai rental car was in one of the pictures. (If you look back you will see the white SRV). We can get the length of the car and then scale everything from there.

Gregg

Well Gregg, I'm glad to see your brain was working just like mine when it came time to scale. I see a few other items in your additional pics that can also be used. So you mean to tell me that the thought of a little buckshot would have scared you off?? NNNaaaah I don't believe that. I think even the color of the storefront are really well thought out. Now as Peter said if you really wanted to help us out you should have gotten on the roof to take some detail shots from up there as well. LOL thanks so much, Pat

Edited by - belg on 08/24/2008 10:59:35 AM

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: The Gallery: Dec. 2018 Modeling Year In Review Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000