Railroad Line Forums - Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: Dec. 2018 Modeling Year In Review Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3
Page: of 37

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  08:43:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I was back at that house last weekend to get some measurements. I saw no evidence of any stream near the site. Although I assume that the 8"x8"s were installed before the stonework during the construction process, both look quite old now, so I don't know how long the one may have preceeded the other.

From the location of other houses (and a store) near this house, I think the owner had a very long, but narrow piece of land, right along the road. That somewhat forced him to build right at the edge of the embankment.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  10:19:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

BTW, for those interested in building this house, George D. has started developing the plans over in the Starting From Scratch Forum. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21072

Edited by - Dutchman on 04/02/2008 10:22:13 PM

JohnJ
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  9:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pat: I got back up to Heber City today and took a couple of photos of the house I posted a couple of weeks ago.

As you can see, what we thought might have been lettering is just concrete patching where a porch appears to have been removed.

John

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  12:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this little beauty in Eastern Tennessee just off U.S. 321 at Lenoir City. The building is about 1/2 mile east of the Tellico Dam on the Tennessee River. U.S. 321 has been rebuilt and now travels about 50 yards to the rear of the building, leaving it at an abandoned crossroads. There is also an old house next door that was likely the owners can be seen in one of the photos). In the 50's this would have been a thriving place. (I would like to see GeorgeD do the drawing for this ) Danny

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  12:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Danny, that is indeed a gem!

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  12:32:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, the only detail that is hard to see is there is a rear door covered by the bush on the rear shot. I would have made closer photos, but you will notice the "keep out" signs. In the South, take the sign for exactly what it says. Danny

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  8:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thatís a basic but interesting looking building, Danny. My plate is full, but I have a feeling if I were to draw some plans, Iíd find some challenges there. I wonder what those two raised pieces are above the front wall.

George

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  08:35:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right, George. This is basic and I can draw the plans. I still do it the old fashioned way. I do not know the purpose the panels on the front. I wondered the same thing. Danny

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  08:54:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Danny

I was looking at this and it is definitely an interesting structure. I too wonder what those offsets along the front roofline are for. Is there anyway to get a photo look ing directly at the rear so we could see what the roof looks like? There might be a second floor storage area and we're looking at the roof edge. Otherwise I suspect it's some sort of framing for signage.

Doing a quick count of clapboards and windows it appears that the front is be about 30' wide and about 22'-23' high. It looks like it has a floorplan that is nearly square so it's probably about 30'-32' deep (not counting the entry deck).

Maybe I can come up with something.
--Rich B.

Edited by - RichBeau on 04/08/2008 08:55:40 AM

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  09:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rich. I think you are correct that the offsets are either for signs or just simply decorative. I photographed this when I was traveling last weekend. It is about 150 miles away. It appears that it is a part of an estate and has "Keep Out" signs posted everywhere. I did a quick photo of the underside of the front porch, but was a little uneasy about anything else. The elevation to the rear drops off, so there is no way to get a roof view from the rear without a ladder. But, as I said, I think it is just a decorative part of the false front. ...... another thing that seems a bit strange to me is the small, high windows, above the other windows on the side view.

I do not plan to build this right away, but I will do it in the future. The one thing I am about to start is (keeping in my current theme) Wally's Service from The Andy Griffith Show. I did some research and found a couple of "still" photos of the two structures. They are both simple buildings, so I plan to do the interiors. If anyone finds any more "still photos" of this, I would love to have a copy. Danny

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  6:42:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was going through my photo albums looking for bridge photos for this months' Gallery and came across these shots that I took back in 2003 in Georgetown, Colorado when attending the NG Convention in Denver. Nice weathering on the old buildings!

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

belg
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  07:34:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob this looks like it could have been the inspiration for Tom Yorke's Vicksburg kit?? Pat

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  10:27:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob
OUTRAGEUS AND FANTASTIC
Peter

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  4:07:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
R.I.P.

Today, in my travels, I went past the sites where two of the structures that appeared in the first two threads on Prototype Structures used to be. They were gone - torn down. That made me go back to look through the previous two threads, and I found that a total of five of the structures that I had posted are now 'history'.

Here are the structures that no longer exist, and links to the original posts:

The Erie Station in Harriman, NY.

Link: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4647&whichpage=3

Small bait house, West Milford, NJ.

Link: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4647&whichpage=16

Barn, Warwick, NY.

Link: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4647&whichpage=5

The brick welding shop, Suffern, NY.

Link: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5840&whichpage=6

And finally, the 'famous' cockeyed building, West Milford, NJ.

Link: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4647&whichpage=5

The lesson to be learned? Always travel with your digital camera in the car, and take pictures of interesting structures when you see them!

BTW, models of two of these structures, the Welding Shop, and the Cockeyed Building, have been constructed by members of the forum.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  7:40:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While not an entire structure, I thought that this window awning I saw on a barn might give you some modeling ideas.

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: The Gallery: Dec. 2018 Modeling Year In Review Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000