Railroad Line Forums - Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Members Prototype Photos Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3
Page: of 37

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2014 :  9:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Wow Greg, Where is this house located? I have seen this type of siding, but never on a house of this type. Must be at least a century old, I would guess.

Ted,this old house is located in Ontario,Canada.
On Hwy 400 north by Mount St.Louis Moonstone ski resort.
I would guess it was built in the late 1800's.
The pressed tin siding was later added probably the early 1900's.
The old general store beside my house had similar siding added to it in 1914.

Greg Shinnie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  1:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg it is an excellent project for me in O scale. I have printed the photos. It is in my folder of up coming builds. It's funny, I picked up some paper in Michaels craft store for a project I was working on. It is almost exactly like this siding. I think this type of material and design was used for ceilings in those days. My Grand parents ceilings were made of metal sheets very similar to this siding................

quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

quote:

Wow Greg, Where is this house located? I have seen this type of siding, but never on a house of this type. Must be at least a century old, I would guess.

Ted,this old house is located in Ontario,Canada.
On Hwy 400 north by Mount St.Louis Moonstone ski resort.
I would guess it was built in the late 1800's.
The pressed tin siding was later added probably the early 1900's.
The old general store beside my house had similar siding added to it in 1914.

Greg Shinnie

rkdanieljr
New Hire

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  8:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was sent a new website from my son who moved to Chicago in the middle of our recent recession. He keeps track of Detroit an its up and downs, sends his old man the good stuff. One of he most recent ones is applicable to this group. It is truly a unique view of Detroit then and now.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140722/NEWS01/140721003/THEN-NOW-Watch-Detroit-change-before-your-very-eyes

I hope you enjoy it.

Bob Daniel

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  9:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Bob, It is so sad what happened to that once great city. I always find it amazing' as where do they take all ruins. The steel, the exploded concrete etc. It is just unbelievable to say the least to see such a decline over a 50 year period. Very scary.... This is happening in other citys as well all across America....I think it's time to kill [NAFTA]...These befor and after photo sites are terific...Thanks for posting!!!

http://www.freep.com/article/20140722/NEWS01/140721003/THEN-NOW-Watch-Detroit-change-before-your-very-eyes

I hope you enjoy it.

Bob Daniel
[/quote]

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 07/23/2014 9:08:19 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  9:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a very modelable coal dealer in Bergen, New York. Pictures were taken at two different dates. The most recent were 9/2013.

Here's is something similar in Leroy, New York. Need to go back here and get some more pictures of the opposite side.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Edited by - Bernd on 07/23/2014 9:27:07 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  11:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd' This is a really neat find. I love the small
office weigh station. That siding is crazy.......Haven't seen anything like that in more years than I care to say'''''Great structures for
modeling........

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  08:56:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bernd' This is a really neat find. I love the small
office weigh station. That siding is crazy.......Haven't seen anything like that in more years than I care to say'''''Great structures for
modeling........

Thanks Ted.

The first set includes some pictures from a modeling railroading acquaintance of mine,Tim Guenther. When I saw his pictures I figured I needed to go take some details pictures. I'd like to build this someday.

I'm going to have to go back and take more shots from the second set of pictures I took in Leroy to get the other side of the building. It's another one I'd like to build sometime.

Bernd

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  10:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I saw your first photos I thought that would be a perfect model to fit into an odd shaped lot.
But after seeing the second set, I like that even better with the varied roof lines and compact arrangement.

Were those silos actually used to store coal?

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  12:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd and Dave, Looking at these great structures, I have been wondering, how the heck did they get the coal into the
silos???? Bernd, how far outside of Rochchester are these towns. I would imagine it is still farm country up that way.
And it still is one of the most beautiful areas in the country, NY State has gorgeous scenery............

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  7:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mabloodhound

When I saw your first photos I thought that would be a perfect model to fit into an odd shaped lot.
But after seeing the second set, I like that even better with the varied roof lines and compact arrangement.

Were those silos actually used to store coal?

Hi Dave.

I'm not sure if they stored coal in those silos. Leroy is west of Rochester, New York. I believe the NYC had a siding at this place. I'm going to have to do some research and get back to you Dave. I'm also going to see if I can get some more detailed shots of the whole place. I'll post back here when I get more info.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  7:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bernd and Dave, Looking at these great structures, I have been wondering, how the heck did they get the coal into the
silos???? Bernd, how far outside of Rochchester are these towns. I would imagine it is still farm country up that way.
And it still is one of the most beautiful areas in the country, NY State has gorgeous scenery............

On the Bergen one you can see, in the pictures I took, a bucket system. On the left of the solos must have been the place where hopper cars dumped their load into a pit. The coal was then taken up and distributed at the top of the silos into which ever one needed coal or different grade of coal.

The one in Leroy, as I told Dave, may not have been for coal. I'm assuming it was but may be wrong. Need to do more research on them. As I told Dave I'll post here as I find more info on those silos.

Both towns are west of Rochester. If you do a Google map out of Rochester follow interstate 490 west. It ends just northeast of Leroy. Also Bergen is close by. I couldn't tell you the mileage of hand but I think some were in the neighborhood of 30 to 40 miles.

Yes, NY has beautiful scenery but a lousy government. (and that's all I'm going to say about that.)

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  7:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought I give Google a try. Here's the other side of the Leroy building. It's located about 3/4 mile north of Rt. 5&20 on Rt.19

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.983177,-77.992254,3a,75y,194.83h,94.49t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sqz4jxRITDEOu1vpwL4PThQ!2e0

Here's the one in Bergen. The New York Centrals (now NS) double track main line runs to the south of the building. Apparently there was a siding on the north side of the building. And I just noticed something. Both buildings are on Rt19.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.086453,-77.942,3a,75y,313.57h,92.1t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sHS0CCJ8q62F1r5Itt7c17Q!2e0

Bergen is north of Leroy by several miles.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0363946,-77.9410912,12z

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 07/24/2014 7:32:12 PM

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  7:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bernd. I'll await your further investigation and photos.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  9:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,
I believe Harold Russel did drawings of the Leroy silo's years ago for MR or RMC. They were used to store beans according to the article/drawing... IIRC.
Across the street was an elevated low coal trestle long gone. I lived there in late '60's when my wife taught in the school across the street were we lived.

Gordon

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  10:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got the word out to a couple of railroad buddies as to what those silos held.

Here's a quiz. Anybody know what Leroy, New York is famous for? (HINT: it's a desert)

They also have a statue of Miss Liberty in town. I'll have to take a picture of that too.

Bernd

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: Members Prototype Photos Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000