Railroad Line Forums - Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: Dec. 2018 Modeling Year In Review Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3
Page: of 37

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  9:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sticking with the house theme, here is one that caught my eye. Kind of like the house that Jack built (or was it Brian Nolan?)

The house sits on an embankment right next to a road.

My best guess is that the house was built in three stages. The main part with four side windows on the right, the narrower extension on the left, and a closed-in porch addition on the rear.

The foundation is interesting. There are three 8"x8" timbers running from the floor of the house to the ground. These might have been the load bearing timbers holding up the house, and then the field stone was filled in between those timbers. The foundation under the left-hand extension is concrete, but there is also a little section that is brick. That gives you four different materials in the foundation alone.

Here is a side view that shows the second addition better, and you can now see the closed-in porch on the rear.

If you look to the left of that brick 'column', you will see a small section of the foundation that is made of brick.

The roof line is interesting, in that the slope flattens out as it approaches the side walls. The 'vertical' line of brick on the edge of the foundation is odd. It is not plumb, but slants out from top to bottom, following the edge of the field stone foundation. Notice the 'cellar door' on the end.

There is the remnants of a metal vent pipe caught in the vines, and you can see a window in the field stone wall.

Here is a shot of the other end of the house. You can see the porch with roof, and past that entrance door, the porch has been closed in.

If I were going to scratchbuild this house, I would start with some of the stone wall sections from New England Brownstone for sure.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  9:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, this is a perfect application for the sample pieces Russ and his wife Diane? were giving out at CSS 07, between the one from the clinic I have 3 others and I think that would work perfectly. Good luck with the build, Pat

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  01:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce-
Is that house in NJ? Is it presently occupied?
-Dave

-Dave

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  03:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very nice house, Bruce, which shows that models featuring lots of different materials, if rare, are far from being unrealistic.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  09:03:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Creek and Western

Bruce-
Is that house in NJ? Is it presently occupied?
-Dave

Dave,

It is indeed in NJ, up in Sussex County. It is at the intersection of Rt. 206 and Sussex Co. Rt. 611, between Andover and Newton. It is not currently occupied.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  09:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

A very nice house, Bruce, which shows that models featuring lots of different materials, if rare, are far from being unrealistic.

Frederic,

It was that mix of materials that caught my eye. Thankfully, my camera was in the car.

Edited by - Dutchman on 03/27/2008 09:09:26 AM

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  10:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent find Bruce!

CHuck

TrainClown
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  8:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What an unusual house, Bruce. I love it! I copied your pix to my reference folder for further study. I really like the way it's perched on a cliff face. Makes me wonder if there is a cave in the cliff right there.

Christopher

Clowning around with trains.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  05:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce
Fantastic! Thanks for the photos. Just the info I needed.
Peter

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  8:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple... I'll probably do the fertilizer Plant in HO.

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  07:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stumbled on this one and it's a beaut...

Simple but elegant. I'm sure this one will find a way onto someone's layout.

There's a larger version of the photo here.

--Rich B.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  08:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, I like the signs on the building. The dark contrasting window frames and trim look interesting. I'll bet it was a colorful building.

George

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  7:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's one of my favorite structures. It used to be a storage shed for bagged cotton seed on the Louisville & Wadley RR in Louisville, GA. I shot these back in the late 70's or early 80's. It's gone now. Sure would look good on the R&E line.

Of course, if you ever need to find away to get rid of all those leftover detail parts, signs, and other junk, try this one.

This is Rogers Trading Post in Thomson, GA. I was actually going to build this one before I retired the L&WS.

Hope you enjoy.

Ray46
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  11:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, it looks like the flour has spilled out all over the sidewalk and streets.

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  03:48:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TrainClown

What an unusual house, Bruce. I really like the way it's perched on a cliff face. Makes me wonder if there is a cave in the cliff right there.

Christopher

A really interesting guess, Christopher. It never occurred to me, but you could be right!

The place where the house is located happens to be in one of the few limestone areas in NJ where caves can and have formed. As a younger caver I have been in caves in or near Andover, Newton, and nearby Lafayette!

People sometimes enclose the entrances of small caves to make spring houses. This house sure looks like one of them.

Bruce-
Can you tell if the wood uprights preceded the limestone blocks in the wall? I wonder why they haven't rotted away by now. If the stonework is relatively new that might explain things. Did you spot any stream runoff in the area-- no matter how small?
The house is unquestionably taking advantage of the natural air conditioning from the bedrock.
-Dave NSS #12295 (National Speleological Society)

-Dave

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: The Gallery: Dec. 2018 Modeling Year In Review Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000