Railroad Line Forums - Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 142 ]  [ Total: 144 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Members Prototype Photos Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Dec. 2018 Modeling Year In Review
Page: of 37

PHQRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  11:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit PHQRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Small power plant on the Kanawha River, WV.

Some rivet detail on the New River Gorge Bridge, WV

rkdanieljr
New Hire

Posted - 11/22/2013 :  10:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - Newbie here but I shot a series of the General Store at Kilmanagh, MI several falls ago. There are too many pics to upload so I loaded it to my Flickr account. They are located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/32193811@N03/
let me know if it is inaccessible or, if you plan on modeling a replica there are some more detailed shots not included in the album that might help. Please alert me if I break some group protocol or something.

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2013 :  06:27:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Robert --

The link worked fine for me. Your photographs are excellent, very interesting, and provide a lot of material for model building.

It would indeed be a lot of work to upload that many photographs to rr-line. But it would be nice if you do it. Links to outside sites tend to disappear over time. If you look back some years on this forum, you'll find many formerly-great threads that have become unusable because the author passed away or lost interest and didn't maintain the site that his thread linked to.

Thanks for sharing your pictures, however you do it.

Don

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2013 :  10:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert, I saw similar photos of that store a few weeks ago and after some research located a few more, but yours are even better.
I like the fore-shortened version you show and this would be a good model to build.
Michigan has some of the most interesting buildings.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

Edited by - mabloodhound on 11/24/2013 07:55:01 AM

rkdanieljr
New Hire

Posted - 11/23/2013 :  11:50:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys - I'll learn how to post directly to this site and upload pertinent pics.
We are experiencing more interesting stages of our older buildings as we can less afford to keep them up (see: anything in Detroit). It does affect the outlying villages and towns as well as we become depopulated. Fewer people around to fight for the historically-significant-but-not-commercially viable.
Regards, Bob Daniel

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2013 :  11:28:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great article and photo of an early gas station: http://www.post-gazette.com/business/2013/12/01/FILL-ER-UP/stories/201312010079 (First drive-in gas station in America)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2013 :  3:45:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I came across this photo today of a house in Jefferson Township, NJ. This is a good size to model and still add character.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2013 :  5:03:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave Mason, do this in HO and I'll buy it! (It would also make a great kit in O, because of the size.) And this probably has some really good 'kitbash potential'

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2013 :  9:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check out this pioneer home built in a tree stump, ca. 1910:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leedman/2318692269/in/set-72157604073472543

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2013 :  10:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlborough, New Hampshire.

Pete
in Michigan

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2013 :  10:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not exactly a structure, but this old sheep herder's wagon would make a great model:

westernmaine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  6:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a modelgenic, pike-sized grain dealer in Sinking Spring, PA. Still an active rail customer in 2013

NORTHERN TERMINAL COMPANY - The mainline to the Maine Coast

Bruce Scott
Section Hand

Posted - 12/24/2013 :  5:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A number of years ago, I found this abandon mill at Sexton, IA, along the old Milwaukee Road, west of Britt where the annual Hobo Convention is held. She looks like an old hag, but probably did well in her day. The railroad was IC&E at the time, and is now CP Rail. Might be a good candidate for a styrene structure.

Not too far away, at Esterville, IA, on the Rock Island, was this stately wooden beauty, a Golden Sun Elevator:

A view of the back of Golden Sun:

Edited by - Bruce Scott on 12/31/2013 12:08:09 AM

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2013 :  2:40:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This building in Luning, NV would make a good trackside industry. It's located along the old Carson & Colorado right-of-way.

Originally there were tracks on this side of the building. On the other side of the building is a place where trucks would dump their load.

I have a complete set of pics on my website:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/Luning_NV.html

Bruce Scott
Section Hand

Posted - 12/28/2013 :  2:48:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is an unusual lap turnout serving an industrial siding in the streets of Berkeley, CA. I did the photograph in the 1980's. It would make a great challenge for those who build custom special trackwork. The lap turnout facilitated negotiating spur trackage in tight quarters. The points of each switch are between the points and frog of the other.

If you can find a March 1957 Model Railroader Magazine, there is a good article, "Lap Turnouts", at page 35.

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: Members Prototype Photos Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Dec. 2018 Modeling Year In Review  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000