Railroad Line Forums - Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 129 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: Dec. 2018 Modeling Year In Review Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3
Page: of 37

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2011 :  09:48:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a type of structure/business you see/saw all across America.
I know of a few in New England that look almost exactly like that. Local small fuel dealers would fill up there and then deliver to homes around the county/town.
Nice.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2011 :  11:54:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic,

I'll have to agree, corrugated does not have a lot of appeal. But this one kind of grows on you. I drove by and delivered to this business for years without paying much attention to it. Then one day I stepped back and took a closer look. Now there is an HO model of it on our local club layout.

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2011 :  12:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a couple from me, down under....

This is an interesting old business called Calga Motors, on the central coast of New South Wales.

It was a workshop, petrol station, and residence combined, and it was completely by-passed when the new expressway link road was built, only a dew hundred metres to the north.

I think it is still a residence, but the pumps and workshop are long gone. This pic is from 1990.

I especially like the false front, and the peeling paintwork.....

These two are of the Courier newspaper building in Ballarat in Victoria. (The centre of the 1860s gold rush area.)

It would make a good stand-alone model, or as part of a low-relief structure at the rear of any scene from late 1800s to the present.

Time is the Gauge of Existence

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  10:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just shot these photos on Monday in Point of Rocks, Maryland. I was drawn to the structure because of the weathered walls, but it makes a nice candidate for a 'first' scratchbuild. Simple lines, yet the porch and rear addition give it some interest. Not too many windows, either. I would model it with a door out the back of the rear addition. It could be a small store or a house.

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  3:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bruce,

Hey that's great!

Looks like it needs a coat of paint, though....

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  5:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll never win a contest with a model of that, there are no nail holes :-) :-) :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  6:39:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah... but you can sure see where the nail lines are in the peeling paint pattern.

What a great subject for a 1st scratch build.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 03/31/2011 6:41:43 PM

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  8:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's strange how it's weathered badly on both sides.......

I guess it must face due north. Or due south.

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  4:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Crew,

Many of you know that I'm a sucker for rural country stores (and gas stations and cafes). Here are a couple that are real classics from opposite ends of the country. The first, "Toady Jones Grocery" is from somewhere in the Deep South and which I found (believe it or not) in a cookbook on Southern Cooking. The second, "Aguanga General Store," is located in the town of Aguanga here in Southern California and which I photographed yesterday.

Wow! Both of these stores could be located anywhere in the country and could easily be backdated anywhere to the 30's or earlier. They could easily be scratchbuilt or just as easily kitbashed from say, a Blair Line General Store, or similar kit. For Toady Jones, the Blair Line "Rock City" decals would look great. Oh, when I passed by Aguanga this time last year, the sign was your classic painted, faded and peeling lettering.

Hope you enjoy.

Steve

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  5:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great finds, Steve. Treasures are hidden in the most unexpected places, and there's never an X to indicate them...

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2011 :  11:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a Feed Mill in Randolph, NY, that is soon to be torn down. What a shame, could be an interesting model.

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2011 :  11:30:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an old Potato Storage building in my home town. Was also used as a School house.

Rich

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2011 :  8:37:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich,

Your feed mill would certainly make a good model. It does need some more photos and dimensions too.
If you take photos with a measuring stick, it'll give you all the dimensions needed for building it.
Get some rear photos and some "straight on" photos. Angled ones are harder to get true dimensions from. Use a 6 foot or 8 foot stick in the photos stood vertical next to the wall.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2011 :  10:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich,

Both are good additions to the thread. I particularly like the feed mill.

Wulf
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2011 :  2:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Barn just up the road from us (NW of Kingston, Ontario)

Note the small window to the right of the doors - definitely losing points for sloppiness on that 1:1 model

For size reference, my wife is exactly 5' tall (& for weight reference, my dog is exactly 150# )

Even blown right uo to 2200x3200 pixels, the only nailholes visible are on the window frames (!)
If anyone would like additional shots or the full size files, just let me know.
Cheers,
Ron

CEO, Lancre Valley Steam navigation Co.

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: The Gallery: Dec. 2018 Modeling Year In Review Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000