Railroad Line Forums - Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: rsmokingus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Members Prototype Photos Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3
Page: of 37

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  6:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good Chuck, I'd like to use it too. Seems there's a signage challenge going on that could use a boat ad. ;)

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  7:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed there is Chester!

Here is a tumbledown shack with an interesting chimney. I have seen this partial design more than once. I would love to see someone try it!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2194/2199605382_3c5b27db3f_b.jpg

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  8:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Doan

Here's a neat sign, perfect for a maritime business:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2033/2216666084_8019ac5f14_b.jpg

Cool sign Chuck.
I have a metal detail boat that is cast in 2 sections(left and right sides) that would work perfectly and I also have a structure that this would fit on quite nicely.
Add a few of the details shown in the picture and I should be all set.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  05:53:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Doan

Indeed there is Chester!

Here is a tumbledown shack with an interesting chimney. I have seen this partial design more than once. I would love to see someone try it!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2194/2199605382_3c5b27db3f_b.jpg

This is one of the best you've ever posted, Chuck. I saved it under the name "Bad state of disrepair". It's the least I could do...

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  10:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, thanks for the links. That half a chimney is different. Never seen anything like it.

As you think, so will you be.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  10:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Anybody up for some challenging shingling??

No lasercut permited, individual shingles only.. see you in a year or two.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/31/2008 10:38:02 PM

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  10:54:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The four-masted schooners Hesper and Luther Little were abandoned in Wiscasset Maine in 1932. There they remained, rotting, becoming tourist attractions, until their hulks had deteriorated so badly that in 1998 they were demolished.

If you want to read more about these two here's the web page where there's plenty of photos.

I've always thought something similar could make for an interesting scene.
-Rich B.

JohnJ
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  10:11:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was passing through Heber City, Utah yesterday when this house just kind of called out to me. What do you guys think??

John Johnson

"I'm right 98% of the time. Who cares about the other 3%."

TrainClown
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  8:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great photos so far!

Now I got one for you guys.

I was driving back from Moose Jaw one day. About half way between MJ and Regina is a very small old town called Belle Plain. Must be all of 60 people living there. Evey time I have drove past this town one building always stood out and made me curious. So, being by myself, I turned off the highway and went to take a look.

It must be the largest building in Belle Plain. A private residence that someone was taking pains to save. Here is what you see from the Highway.

Upon driving through a town where some places were neat and tidy and kept up and others were mere shadows of their former self. This house was fenced off and surrounded with all manner of farming paraphernalia. But I did manage to snap enough pix to build a model.

First look at the Barn house.

Starting from the left side of the house. Those buildings on each side of this pic are grain storage sheds.

Here is the front of the house. That white frame thing is a trailer for hauling bails of hay.

This is the right side of the house. Looks like there was a porch at one times.

This is the best pic I could get from the back of the house.

I have since learned this roof is called a Dutch roof.(I think) Perhaps I posted this before, but I'm not sure. Anyway, there she be.

Christopher

Clowning around with trains.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  9:45:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Christopher,thanks for posting the photo's of that farm house that's shaped like a barn and from your photo it appears that their barn is shaped like a house. By the way I think that style of roof is referred to as a "Gambrel" roof.And dutch was a style of architecture.Always love to see interesting buildings.Thanks again Greg Shinnie

TrainClown
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  01:32:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, Greg, there is no barn on the property, as such. I'm not sure if there ever was one or not. those buildings you see are in fact the way farmers use to store grain before silos were commercially cheap enough. The grain sheds, or granary, as they call them locally, have iron rods that go through the walls and 4" x 4" beams on the outside with nuts and bolts, that hold the walls from spreading out due to them being filled to the roof with grain. Actually, the way they store grain in sort of make-shift ways is rather interesting.

Christopher

Clowning around with trains.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  07:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, do you know if this is an old house or a great job at a recreation? Or maybe it was restored? It looks like there is still some work needing to be done on the deck, can you read what those letters say back there cause I can't make it out in the pics? Thanks Pat

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  09:11:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very interesting structure Christopher. When you model this one it will be a very interesting thread.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

JohnJ
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  09:46:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pat: It's definitely an old house that has been relatively well maintained. I think someone has started some restoration, but most of what is there appears to be original. As far as the "letters" go I don't know either. I was in a hurry when I took the photos and it really did not register on me that these might be letters. It looked more like where a porch roof had been removed. The next time I am in Herber City I'll take a look again.

John Johnson

"I'm right 98% of the time. Who cares about the other 3%."

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  8:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys, we have had some interesting houses posted here lately.

Karl, when we were kids, we used to stay in an ocean front house in Sea Girt, NJ that was all cedar shake, and had a first-floor porch that your house brings to mind. It did not have that neat second-story porch, however.

John, that is a classic style house, and could easily fit right in here on the east coast. Many old towns in NJ and Penn had brick houses of that style.

Christopher, you might have found a 'one of a kind' house. Pretty neat!

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: Members Prototype Photos Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000