Railroad Line Forums - Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: Dec. 2018 Modeling Year In Review Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3
Page: of 37

JohnJ
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  8:39:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a pretty unusual diner that I came across this summer in Polson, Montana. There was no inside seating; just a drive-through with outside seating. Overall, I thought it pretty original.

I thought it would be a fun project if I can find an appropriate mobilehome in O scale to kitbash.

John Johnson

"I'm right 98% of the time. Who cares about the other 3%."

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  06:02:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny and unusual place, John. There seems to be a great talent in the US for unexpected dinner architecture on roadside.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  11:06:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I came on this reference site while doing research on a scratchbuild in the other forum.
The Michigan Tech University 'Keweenaw Digital Archives' ha some great photos of copper
country and the upper Michigan towns.
Also includes many RR and locomotive photos.

http://digarch.lib.mtu.edu/

Just plug a town name or item reference into the search and you'll get hundreds of photos.

(interesting bow shape)
Hotel, Baraga, MI

Saloon 8, Hancock, MI

Old Rooming House, Baraga, MI(newly found photo)

They even have a written text/history for each photo.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  2:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just noticed the slogan for "Tootsies" Diner.

Home of Half Fast Food

Nice play on words!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  10:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found myself with a little time on my hands this week when I took Bonnie up to Cornwall, NY to visit a friend. I decided to poke around a bit with my camera. I asked a local if there were any railroad structures around, and was directed to this building. Now I don't know if it was really a railroad structure originally, but it is really 'out of place' where it is. Everything around for blocks is a wood framed residence.

(The railroad that served the area was the New York, Ontario & Western that was abandoned in 1957.)

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  3:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks kinda like a fire station to me, with the large front opening and tower.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  3:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Dave,

I agree, but boy it would have been a very small fire station.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  09:04:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is an old barn about two miles from me that is nearing collapse. I wanted to get a few pictures before that happened.

It appears that the barn might have been painted red before the wood shingles had been put on many years ago.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  10:07:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce
The Ringlet would make a perfect small structure whether masonry or wood. A future project.
Thanks for the photos.
Peter

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  2:44:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I shot this on our recent Raritan River Railroad walk. It was behind some kind of small tile factory and seems to be a jury rigged auxiliary heater.
I thought that it might make a nice detail on an industrial building since it so clearly implies a story and a history. Notice how a downspout was removed to make way for the left-hand shed. The plywood door is held closed by that old standby- a block of wood with a nail in it.
-Dave

-Dave

grlakeslogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  4:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Dave,

I agree, but boy it would have been a very small fire station.

It is the same design and size as many old one-room country schools around here. But most of ours were wood. The large front center probably would have been a set of double doors. Generally, the lowered addition protruding from the back led down cellar steps and was how they got either firewood or coal down there for the furnace.

At least that is what it looks like, compared to similar buildings in the upper midwest.

--Stu--

--Stu--
It's a great day whenever steam heads out into the timber!

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  6:04:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

Those shingles were obviously applied to cover those nail heads that some people say would never show up.

My blog:
http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com/

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  6:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave
Great find.
Peter

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  8:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darrylhuffman

Bruce,

Those shingles were obviously applied to cover those nail heads that some people say would never show up.

Darryl,

Did you just open a -

Edited by - Dutchman on 12/03/2009 8:13:07 PM

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  11:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, it looks like all the worms already got out!

As one who has spent more time looking at weathered structures than a sane person should, I can offer this:
I have seen many old buildings where the nails are virtually invisible even close up. And conversely, I have seen many buildings where the nails are clearly visible even from a surprisingly far distance away.
So whether you like to add them or omit them completely, the prototype has you covered.

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: The Gallery: Dec. 2018 Modeling Year In Review Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.91 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000