Railroad Line Forums - Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 132 ]  [ Total: 142 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: Dec. 2018 Modeling Year In Review Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3
Page: of 37

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  4:39:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in 2003, I started the first thread devoted to "Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled". When that thread got near 20 pages long, I locked it and opened a follow-up thread titled "Prototype Structures for Modeling, Part 2". My reasoning was that it was becoming difficult for members to page thru the entire thread to find a particular structure that they remembered seeing.

Well, that second thread grew to over 25 pages, so I unlocked the original. Now both threads a huge, and my concerns about the easy of searching for a structure are compounded.

So, it is time to open a third thread devoted to this topic, and to once again lock the first two.

Here are links to those threads for to make it easier for members to find them in the future.

The original "Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled": http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4647&whichpage=1

The follow-up thread "Prototype Structures for Modeling, Part 2": http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5840&whichpage=1

I continue to encourage you to take your camera on your travels. As you find a prototype structure that jumps out at you, post the photos here as inspiration for your fellow members.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  5:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like Victorian commercial architecture. Here's a pair of nice small storefronts:

Merchant's Alley is from Frostburg, MD. This would be relatively easy to scratch-build. You can glue together Grandt/Tichy window castings with a bit of Evergreen strip between, on top and beneath them to get that big expanse of 2nd floor windows. You can cut off the mullins from the lower half of the window to duplicate the prototype's windows. Of course, that much window space would call for some interior detail, too. The side down the alley has filled-in windows on both floors. Also on the top left of the photo, notice the firebreak wall that extends over the top of the roof of the building you can barely see.

Fairhaven Runners (Monahan Block) is in Bellingham, WA. The arched windows and fancy brickwork would be a bit more of a challenge. But the Ironfront wouldn't be that hard to simulate using overlays of Evergreen structural shapes (half-round, etc) and a bit of imagination. There are some cast Ironfront tops that would also help you out. Look at the exposed side, which has what looks like corrugated siding covering the 'false side' part that sticks over the roofline, and then stucco over what is probably cheap and badly weathered brick. There's some flashing just before the right-hand-side (yellow painted brick) storefront bumps up against the wall.

Download Attachment: Merchants Row.jpg
55.83 KB
Download Attachment: fairhaven-runners.jpg
83.13 KB

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  5:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a simple barn with attached shed. Note the main roof, left to right. Old shingles, really old shingles, a patch of newer ones, and then a large piece of newish corrugated. Something different than the ordinary roof.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2169/2197385709_a3a8368764_b.jpg

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  5:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great picture Chuck of a diverse evolving roof, another thing worth noting is the stark colour difference between the redwood(?) side wall and the pure grey back wall. That colapsing back roof would be a challenge to model... hmmm...

Thanks for the pic,
Karl.A

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  6:00:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very true, Karl. The coloring and the collapsing shed would be fun to model.

CD

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  12:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is one I found somewhere but I don't remember where. It is the only picture I found of it so the rest of the building is up to your imagination. I am currently scratch building this one.

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  11:51:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wabash Banks

Here is one I found somewhere but I don't remember where. It is the only picture I found of it so the rest of the building is up to your imagination. I am currently scratch building this one.

This is the link to the scratch build topic noted above ...
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19843

Joe <><

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  1:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I might be wrong but I could swear I read somewhere that one of the kit manufacturers out there is going to produce that "pawn shop" as their next kit. As I said, I might be wrong and thinking of another similar building but I think it was this one. Just an FYI....

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  4:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a cool little Blue Ridge mountain cabin:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2393/2208498795_62090014eb_b.jpg

CD

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  6:22:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very nice study of greys and rust, Chuck.

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  8:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple from Fremont, NE. The former CNW main is in the foreground, the UP mains are about 100 ft behind me and the CB&Q/BNSF main is about 150 yds past that.

These buildings are across the street from the former CNW freighthouse.

Dave H.

Dave H.

Iron men and wooden cars

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  5:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a real oddball. Partial brick facade on a wood framed building. Looks like a stucco addition on the rear. Metal roof. A little something for all tastes!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2214/2213013438_5a72fe8c8e_o.jpg

CD

Edited by - Chuck Doan on 01/24/2008 12:45:58 PM

JohnJ
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  8:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck: Cool, that one will go in my delapidated beyond hope file.

John Johnson

"I'm right 98% of the time. Who cares about the other 3%."

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  1:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chuck...that's a great structure for modeling.

Dave....doesn't that first picture cry out DPM! It looks almost identical to their "Seymour Block":

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  4:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a neat sign, perfect for a maritime business:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2033/2216666084_8019ac5f14_b.jpg

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  5:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That is too cool Chuck, I'm using it, dont know where , dont know when, but its too interesting not to be used somewhere, thanks for the post.

Karl.A

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: The Gallery: Dec. 2018 Modeling Year In Review Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000