Railroad Line Forums - Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 42 ]  [ Total: 45 ]  [ Newest Member: 36Plyguy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The 2017 Pick One, Build One Challenge Thread Topic Next Topic: My visit with Karl Osolinski
Page: of 6

DaVinci1953
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  02:04:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit DaVinci1953's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We'll call it Sin City. Using it's real name would serve no worthwhile purpose. It's sometime in the late seventies, that seediest of decades.
Our journey today takes us deep into this urban decay - right to the rotten core at its heart.

That core has a name: Bleeker Street.

The early morning is the only time there's ever quiet on Bleeker Street. And even that brief peace is shattered by the growl of an ancient locomotive, working the crumbling industries in the next block.
Big Boy's Jive Joint rests silently in the early sun. At this hour, no jungle jazz throbs from its fissures.
Later.
Big Boy's owns the long nights around here.

Up on his battle-scarred wall, Big Montana lights his first smoke of the day.

Farther up the street, there is clatter of a garbage truck making its rounds....in a futile attempt to clean up a place that can't ever be clean again.

Apple Annie, the bag lady shuffles down the street. She's up early today. Maybe she never slept again last night. No sleep...no demons to torment her.

Farther still up the block, Freddie is having no trouble at all sleeping on his park bench...until an over zealous cop prods him awake with his nightstick.

All the sins that go down around here and the cops have nothing better to do than hassle a man getting an innocent nights sleep!

As the sun crawls higher, the "hood" begins to stir. Street denizens stake out their turf in front of the Roosevelt Hotel. What business they conduct is best left unknown.

Annie shuffles by, as oblivious as everyone else to East Side Elvis' attempts to entertain. He hasn't even had a drink yet, but he's ready to try his slightly off key rendition of "It's now or never". We have to leave - just in time! Some drunk is begging him to play "Feelings"

A few feet over, underneath the "El, "Whacky Willie" holds court at his 45 gallon oil drum. Willie was never quite the same after he came back from Southeast Asia.
Behind him: home for the homeless. Abandoned cars, old cardboard boxes, mattresses. shopping carts. Cast off things for cast off people.

Next door is the Sunshine Cab Company....
It's seen better days.

Across the street. a neighbourhood "lady" chats with a police officer:

What's all the commotion?...Oh.....the cop is there for a reason. In fact, the area is crawling with cops. looks like there's been an interesting find in the dumpster out behind "Sonny's Burgers"...

It appears that Johnny, the bartender at Big Boy's Jive joint, won't be mixing any more shooters.
"The vic took six to the chest," says Detective Lenny," Nice grouping, though. I'm guessing that the perp was a pro."

Just another typical incident in a typical day down on Bleeker Street.

LeRoy Brown cruises down the street in his custom Eldorado. He's got a custom Continental too.
By the lampost, stands Lola, just as much a fixture on the street as the post. She's a big-boned "girl" with a deep voice. She claims that the Kinks wrote a song about her.

The big guy lights yet another smoke.

Big Boy's Jive Joint waits for the night to arrive....

and finally....dusk does arrive on Bleeker Street.

And with the fall of night, come the drunks and the working girls......

Willie and the boys under "the El" huddle around a fire in the oil drum for warmth.

Once more, the jazz beat pounds into the street from Big Boys Jive joint...the night is complete.

The next morning another of the frequent trains rumbles over the "El"....another day. Life goes on in Bleeker Street.

Lance Russwurm
http//www.lancerusswurm.com

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  02:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Truly incredibly, realistic modeling, Lance. Just fabulous. So much detail and so well done. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  03:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lance, what a great rendition of the mood of this quite unsafe place. So, even LPs can be killed...

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  04:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lance
Great imagination and some very well done modeling. Thoroughly enjoyed the 'slide' show.
Peter

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  05:32:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very realistic modeling and excellent photography. Thanks for the pictures and the narrative.

As you think, so will you be.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  06:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Realistically depressing. I would not want to be there after dark. Places like that are why I live in the country. Even the railroad I model is for a large part in the National Forest.
Thanks?
L&N nut
Jon

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  06:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome modeling and photography! Lots of work too! Thanks for sharing!

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Quinn222
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  06:25:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic work Lance, loads of creativity. You've set a dark, edgy mood perfectly.

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  06:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lance,
Wow, this is great. What an imagination you have. Great use and placement of the figures. I like Freddie and the big blonde matrix.
Great placement of the liquor store next to the hotel...how true that is.

John

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  06:51:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great sequence Lance!
I hadn't made the connection between the diorama and the night photo of O'Malley's Bottoms Up until just now.
Thanks for letting me revisit Bleeker St once more.
--Rich B.

Sodbuster
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  07:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet! I like it.

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  07:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lance,
Excellent modeling. Those night shots are superb and I love the story line that goes with the pictures.
Jeff

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  07:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lance, that is some great urban modeling! I enjoyed the photos and story line, too.

davidellinger77
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  08:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm particularly impressed by the realism of your street's pavement, Any tips to your methods and how you pulled off such realism?

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  08:27:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Lance,

Excellent!!! Reminds me of my old neighborhood in northwest Detroit.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

towncar59
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  08:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit towncar59's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ehh, Lance....

There at the crime scene...I'm missing Kojak and his assistant Stavros.....

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: The 2017 Pick One, Build One Challenge Thread Topic Next Topic: My visit with Karl Osolinski  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000