Railroad Line Forums - DRIFTWOOD yes that banefull word can be used again
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 DRIFTWOOD yes that banefull word can be used again
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: mexican style roof tiles Topic Next Topic: sierra west scale models railroad camp-O scale
Page: of 2

kay4pacific
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  2:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tabooma County Rwy

Hey, Paul, I've seen Dr. Ben's stuff on his website and was curious about it. Glad to see you posting this report. How about some pics of some stained wood?

Al, I stained a few pieces for you to see. The photo is slightly darker thanit actually is.

Download Attachment: DSC_0050.JPG
172.37 KB

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  2:42:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bill,

It's hard to tell from the posting, but it does look very similar to the Floquil stuff, I think....

madmike3434
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  3:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can make your own building blocks easily. Staple down a sheet of wax paper, mix some USA gypsum #101 hydrocal white plaster, spread it whatever thickness you want 1/16 1/8 3/32 1/4 ?? and let dry for a week . After its dry, score the top with exato knife. Simply break it into pieces and chop the sides and the rear to width you want. You want to keep that one side with the rough finish as your stone facing out. I believe this is what george sellios of fine scale miniatures does to get his as a pattern for the stonework walls he does in lead.
Also believe Jack Work wrote an article on this back in the 60's 70's in one of the magazines.

Most recently i read an article buried in this forum by Karl Osolinski..something to do with using sculpty mold....was ingenious and well written...........madmike3434

kay4pacific
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  4:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al, I corrected the color. Hope this will give you a more acurate description.

Download Attachment: DSC_0050.JPG
165.4 KB

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  5:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bill, looks pretty convincing to me!

DaveInTheHat
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  09:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit DaveInTheHat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I only have a little bit of Floquil Driftwood left. I met Dr. Ben at a train show a few years ago and got some if his Driftwood. It's pretty close to the color, works a little different because its thicker. I've been giving my wood a wash of ink and alcohol first and it gives me a variation in the color. I like the way it looks.
I haven't tried the weathering powders yet. I'm not sure which bran I'm going to go with when I run out of what I have.
Those building blocks look like pieces of floor tile.

http://www.fotki.com/daveinthehat
http://www.youtube.com/user/daveinthehat/videos

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  10:14:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, thanks for the photos and for the count. I appreciate your taking the time to do that.

Do you know what material the blocks are made of? Dave's comment (above) about floor tile is kind of what I was thinking when I looked at the photos.

Mike, I've made my own blocks several times in the past from either plaster or Sculptamold. I've also done a lot of hand carved plaster stonework for various projects.

However, when I saw the Dr. Ben's blocks, I thought they might be a quick, easy, and relatively inexpensive alternative to the other ways of doing stonework.

kay4pacific
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  7:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Do you know what material the blocks are made of? Dave's comment (above) about floor tile is kind of what I was thinking when I looked at the photos.

Mike, I would have to agree with you. Some type of floor tile. It has a marble design on the flat side.

PaulD
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  11:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike this is how my first HO scale Swakhammers wall turned out. I deliberately left the end lengths overlength so I could cut and interlock them together. I also gave the wall a wash with the Aged driftwood to tie the colors together.
I spent a great afternoon, Saturday with Barry and gave him a box of blocks and a tub of the Aged Driftwood. He wasted no time building a fireplace similar to the one that MikeC built. He also used some bragdons grey to fill in between the blocks to emulate mortar, the final product was exceptional.

Question on scale, the blocks are large enough to use in 0 scale. They cut and snap so easily you can build up a wall in no time flat. Mike it would take little work to round the edges of the Baby Blocks to give you the fieldstone look your after.

I realise that you can make your own blocks using sculpey or such, I've done that myself, though the low price tag on these blocks makes the work involved in producing your own a waste of time. JMHO

Finally I am posting a shot of my 5th kit build which will be a backwoods type engine shed. You can see how a light drybrush of the Aged Driftwood looks over an A&I wash on the scribed siding.

By the way, I haven't colored the windows with paint, they are coloured using the Dark Rust powder from Dr Ben. These pigments are so useful, a dip in straight Isopropyl and then into the powder and you can quickly color anything, I have noticed that when used on styrene it's best to have a white undercoat to give the piece some tooth for the powder to hang onto. The best part of the powders is you can burnish the wash when dry and it stays matt, all the other powders I've used tend to give a shiny surface when burnished. I can't speak highly enough about these powders.

Dunny from Downunder.

Edited by - PaulD on 03/27/2007 11:28:55 PM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  11:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the additional info and photos, Dunny. It's all very helpful.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  01:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Paul. Those blocks are neat and I agree it would hardly be worth trying to make them yourself. I'm looking forward to trying out the driftwood colour.

BTW, I love your description of Dr Ben's as being in a Vegemite Jar sized container. Our northern hemisphere friends possibly won't know the pleasure of Vegemite!

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  07:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My insurance company wanted to double the cost of my house & contents policy, when they found out I had bottles of driftwood..
Seems it's worth more than gold.....

regards

Hey Dunny...are ya gunna go to the NG con....
leave ya mate bpate at home....
he talks too much..

www.modvid.com.au

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  09:49:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dunnny,

Those sample pieces of stonework look super.

I also like what you say about the weathering powders, re: the burnishing aspect. As loathe as I am to add any more 'stuff' to my overcrowded paint/weathering arsenal, I just may have to get some to check em out.

P.S. Nice start on that scratch build.

Stevie O'

hairball
New Hire

Posted - 09/03/2019 :  1:52:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kay4pacific

quote:
Originally posted by madmike3434

Only those who do not have the genuine floquil driftwood stain, use the imposter. Ya gotta miss the opening of a sealed bottle and get that pungent aroma whafting thru the air. I still got 11 of them, for my fix........$60.00 a bottle on ebay, eh....humm, maybe i should share that experience with others ?
madmike3434

NO Thanks Mike, It smells like low tide, right?

Smells like a wet long haired SHIH TZU dog.

Back in 1996 I cleaned out Testors , owners of floquil, got 34 bottles of DRIFTWOOD STAIN, as they were moving everything back to Illinois and closing plant here. Was just lucky the hobby shop told me when trying to order the floquil paint and stain what was going on with them.

I have experimented also with floquil grime , very similar colouration but thicker with more solids .

mike ...madmike3434 now HAIRBALL

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2019 :  6:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Folk Art's Barnwood (#936) is a near-exact color match for Floquil/Polly Driftwood. A little thinning with windshield washer fluid makes it into a great stripwood stain.
Likewise, Ceramcoat's Mudstone is an exact color match for Floquil/Polly Grime. OR

For making Driftwood stain:
Visit a Sherwin Williams paint store. Ask for 1 quart of interior wood oil stain classic. The base color is pickled white. The tint used is as follows:

W1-20
B1-16
Y3-11
Y1-2

That's it. The one requirement that you will need is a store that has a computer mixing set-up.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: mexican style roof tiles Topic Next Topic: sierra west scale models railroad camp-O scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000