Railroad Line Forums - DRIFTWOOD yes that banefull word can be used again
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 DRIFTWOOD yes that banefull word can be used again
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: mexican style roof tiles Topic Next Topic: sierra west scale models railroad camp-O scale
Page: of 2

PaulD
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  8:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gang

So now all those sinners who hoarded a slab [Aussie slang for a carton of beer] of the Old Floquil stain just to sell it for $60 dollars a 1/4 full jar on Ebay ..............EAT YOUR HEART OUT

Dr Ben's' Scale Consortium now sells a 300gm odd Vegemite sized Jar of a new Formula of the wicked brew and it
doesn't STINK bad and is water based. at $8.45 US it's worth it's weight in Gold

This new Magical Brew is 70% Isopropyl Alcohol which has an odor but nothing like Ye old Floquil. It works in all the same ways the Old Floquil formula did.

Hooray!!!
Dr Ben you are a Legend. I've bought three tubs so far and intend to keep hoarding it while I can.

I should also mention that I bought his pro pack of powders and In my humble opinion it is the best powder I've used and I have Rembrandt chalks, Bragdons powders, Aim products and even the English Carrs brand. The box was 130 odd dollars but it has some fascinating colors, one of which, Chicago Brick, is my new favorite Brick coloring agent. I've also found that if you have an undercoat of white primer, with a quick dab in Isopropyl and then into the powders you can paint a large Tichy window with one brush load and it burnishes without a shine.
I have no affiliation to Dr Ben but just think his products are cool. I'm using his Baby Building blocks to create the stone cut walls for my Scratchbuilt Swakhammers.

If you do order some products, tell them Crocodile Dunny from Downunder sent you.

www.DoctorBens.biz

All this of course is just my own Humble opinion.
Dunny

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  8:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dunny, I'd be interested in seeing some progress photos of your Swakhammer's walls with the blocks and getting your opinions about working with them. They might be usable in a project I have in mind. Are you using them in HO?

TrainClown
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  10:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the head up, Dunny!

Christopher

Clowning around with trains.

PaulD
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  11:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
I'm building up one wall now, they have one side smooth for gluing to substrata and the others like stonework. One slash with a razor saw and they score and snap like styrene but with a nice raw stone edge. Coloring is very natural slate grey through to cream variagated. Some even have natural mottling and all various sizes. I'll post some shots later tonight of a finished wall. at $6.49 a 3X4X3/4" box, there cheap as chips.
Dunny

kay4pacific
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  11:16:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dunny, Glad you found out about Dr.Bens. I've been using his Aged Driftwood for about 6 months now. Real good stufff....cheap. Have those blocks, but have never used them yet. Don't know how they will be for O scale though.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  01:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Paul, I've seen Dr. Ben's stuff on his website and was curious about it. Glad to see you posting this report. How about some pics of some stained wood?

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  10:30:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's hard to tell from the photo what size/scale the blocks are. I have assumed they are suitable for HO scale, but is that really the case? Also, from what "material" are they made (plaster, fiberboard, etc)? I was thinking of pouring and carving a plaster "stone" foundation for a structure, but these may work just as well - if they can be stained and if they can be used in HO scale......

madmike3434
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  1:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only those who do not have the genuine floquil driftwood stain, use the imposter. Ya gotta miss the opening of a sealed bottle and get that pungent aroma whafting thru the air. I still got 11 of them, for my fix........$60.00 a bottle on ebay, eh....humm, maybe i should share that experience with others ?
madmike3434

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  3:59:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feel so poor, all I have is two unopened bottles of the REAL Driftwood! Of course they are kept in a safe deposit box.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Edited by - railphotog on 03/16/2007 4:00:09 PM

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  4:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw a reference recently to using craft paint named LINEN as a Driftwood sub, anyone experienced with that here?

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

kay4pacific
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  5:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

It's hard to tell from the photo what size/scale the blocks are. I have assumed they are suitable for HO scale, but is that really the case? Also, from what "material" are they made (plaster, fiberboard, etc)? I was thinking of pouring and carving a plaster "stone" foundation for a structure, but these may work just as well - if they can be stained and if they can be used in HO scale......

Mike, They are meant for HO scale. Now I have to find a use for them in O scaleMaybe I'll stain a few and take some photos.

kay4pacific
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  5:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madmike3434

Only those who do not have the genuine floquil driftwood stain, use the imposter. Ya gotta miss the opening of a sealed bottle and get that pungent aroma whafting thru the air. I still got 11 of them, for my fix........$60.00 a bottle on ebay, eh....humm, maybe i should share that experience with others ?
madmike3434

NO Thanks Mike, It smells like low tide, right?

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  6:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paul
Looking forward to your scratchbuilt version treatment of Swakhammers. Thanks for the heads up on some might tempting products. Like Bob, I keep my few bottle of driftwood at the bank but now, I might actually use it and then go on to some new stuff.
Peter

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  3:38:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took a look at the blocks on Dr. Ben's site. I wish he'd provide a little more info about them beyond whether they're 1/16" or 1/8" thick. I'd like to know approximately how many come per box and if they can be stained or painted. That kind of info sure would be helpful when trying to plan a scratchbuild or kitbash. Anybody know how many per box? Dunny??

PaulD
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  01:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
There are a lot in the box, the box is about 4x3x1" and it's chockers, they are closer to 1/8th than 1/16 but there are lots of different sizes and thicknesses. I'll tip out a box tonight and guesstimate how many. I hope to start my Swakhammers wall tonight as I've been trying to get the RIGHT window look as there round topped and very long on the photos I have. Must have been a George special. I bought about 8 boxes as I'm stocking up for my Business side of my hobby.
Dunny

kay4pacific
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  2:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

I took a look at the blocks on Dr. Ben's site. I wish he'd provide a little more info about them beyond whether they're 1/16" or 1/8" thick. I'd like to know approximately how many come per box and if they can be stained or painted. That kind of info sure would be helpful when trying to plan a scratchbuild or kitbash. Anybody know how many per box? Dunny??

Mike, emptied my box and counted 517 pieces. They are various sizes:from 1/4 x 9/16,
3/8 x 9/16 1/8 thick. Also tried a brown leather/alchohol, blk/al mix. The blk is on the left.For some reason, the brown mix gave a greenish look and then one block without dye.
I'm going to put a few in one of your recipes and leave them in for a few days. Hope all this helps you.

Download Attachment: DSC_0048.JPG
179.51 KB

Download Attachment: DSC_0046.JPG
77.08 KB

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: mexican style roof tiles Topic Next Topic: sierra west scale models railroad camp-O scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000