Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: PMStrains ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lake Superior Railroad Museum N-Scale Layout video Topic Next Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Page: of 102

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  5:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm now working on the final building for "up on the hill". This area is supposed to be the back edge of Tellico Gap, a small rural town here in the southern mountains so I don't want to get it too built up. This building would be the back of part of mainstreet.

I "painted" the building my usual way by scrubbing on chalks. The colors are based on a real building here except I toned down the green part as the real one will blind you! . Still got to do signage and of course roof details and such. Here is a shot of about where it will go on the layout. I had considered just making this building a flat but I want to light it also so I decided on a semi-flat!

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 08/13/2007 5:35:09 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  5:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Both Drew's building and that row of 'Main Street' stores both look good. I can't wait to see some pictures of 'the hill' with everything installed.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  8:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like the colors a lot Mike, great structures and they fit well on that space

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  8:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Mike

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  9:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Tyson.
Starting to look like a real town now.

How big are the small rural towns over your way as that is way more buildings than I see in the small towns that make up Dade County Georgia except for the county seat of Trenton.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  10:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John most of these towns in the early 60's were around 1,000 to 5,000 people. The biggest difference is the mills or factory were usually on the edge of town. Being as I don't have room for the edge of town I had to relocate the furniture factory a little closer. When I moved here the pop. was 900 in town and 8,000 in the county. The main employers were Singer (furniture) employing up to 200 and Tuckaseegee (textile mill) employing up to 400. Main street was actually two streets forming an L shape and most of the buildings being 2 and 3 story brick. The whole town though was probably less then 1 square mile. But is stretched out for about 2 miles along the river. 2 miles in N scale is about 67 feet hence some selective compression.

Mike

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  09:07:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice work Mike!! I like the building colors. A little eye candy amoung the normal brick colors!

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  09:09:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike
A very interesting choice of colors for the row of brick buildings, adding quite a bit of character to the structures. Looking forward to the next set of construction photos.
Peter

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  10:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! Peter I hope to have it finished up tomorrow, I'd like to get at least a small part of the layout finished this year .

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  3:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Other than the lighting I'm pretty much done with this. I know, what took me so long! .

Mike

davkin
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  7:58:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That scene has a lot of promise! I assume you'll be putting in roads and other details, correct? You might want to consider a tall block wall to separate the industrial from the commercial.

David

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  9:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi David, yes after I get the lighting done and the building installed it is on to ground covers, road, parking area, trees and what have you. Thanks for the idea on the wall but we don't have anything like that around here (the area I'm modeling) and once the road/parking area is in there wouldn't be room for it.

Mike

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  11:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tyson, the whole scene (in the 3rd photo) is really nice. I like the arrangement as well as the use of perspective.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  12:18:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lookin' sharp!
I like the green brick building a lot! Looking forward to seeing this scene progress.
-Cody

womblenz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  05:54:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's starting to come together real well.

You're doing some nice work.

cheers Warren

Page: of 102 Previous Topic: Lake Superior Railroad Museum N-Scale Layout video Topic Next Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000