Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 125 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2
Page: of 101

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  7:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It looks like you used a different technique for the trees on this section. It looks like you achived some depth to me.
L&N nut
Jon

Edited by - LandNnut on 02/09/2013 7:07:02 PM

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  8:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking great Mike. Your progressing so quickly with this new section. I was surpised when I read how shallow this is as it has a lot of depth. You've certainly come up with a good result

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  10:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, Jon I've lost track of how many different type of trees I have used on the layout! These are used all along the edge of the entire layout so you can't see the bottom edge of the backdrop.

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2013 :  11:15:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I have most of the hill on the left hand side that disguises the hole in the wall finished.

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  3:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Started on the pond, made the water with WS's Realistic Water. First time I've tried it and so far I'm happy with it. In the pic with the grass and the cows nothing is glued down I'm just trying it out. Before the grass is installed it will have to be greened up a bunch.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 02/20/2013 3:32:54 PM

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  4:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Came out looking terrific. What is it your using for the grass?

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  09:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lynn, thanks! The grass is listed in the N scale catalog as Busch "Wild Grass Mats". Mine was part number 189-7214 corn field. I'm guessing they call it that because of the color because it sure doesn't resemble corn They also sell it in a light and dark green. You can adjust the color with chalks of course. The size for that part number is 20 by 16 inches and it also comes in a 32 by 32 inch size as well.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 03/04/2013 08:23:38 AM

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  1:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mooo over... I need a drink!

Looks great Mike!

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  1:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Corn in British English is any small grain such as wheat, oats, rye, and barley so Busch as European company calls that color Corn field like straw color. I think Busch is a German company. British call corn maize.
L&N nut
Jon

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  1:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, is that the Southern boxcar you got from me? Those are some good looking Geeps.
L&N nut
Jon

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  2:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, I thought it was maybe one of those static grass thingies.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  3:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Philip!
Yeah Jon a modeler from across the pond told me that sometime ago but I had forgotten, and yes that's the same boxcar (still needs weathering).
Lynn the static grass is wayyyyy to tall for N scale. I added somr bushes/reeds and a dead tree to the pond and greened up the pasture. The pasture is still not glued down and will need the edge of the water to the edge of the pasture blended in when I get to that point.

On a side note when I first poured the pond I used gloss medium but it had too many ripples when it dried so I poured a layer of WS's realisitic water over that but it did't hide it all. After I had painted the bottom of the pond I went over it with chalks to blend in the colors. Turns out gloss medium and WS's realwater don't bond to chalk so I was able to pop the "water" right out of the pond without damage to the scenery base! I then repoured with the WS's realwater. Another note is that either product and every other product I've ever used to do water "creeps" up the scenery so this time I poured the water and let it cure then added the bushes, dead tree and what have you and have no unsightly "creep" to contend with.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 02/26/2013 10:58:44 AM

Catt
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  5:33:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Catt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,when I did Tyson's creek I used Pledge floor wax which actually is a clear acrylic finish.It looks good and dries clear and glossy and a bottle of the stuff would probly do more creeks and rivers and lakes than the two of us could ever create.

The river is gloss medium but when I dredge it and install new road and rail bridges the water will come out of that Pledge bottle.

By the way I like the pond what did you colour the "grass"with?

Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
100% Michigan made

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  6:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike;
I will interested to see how you manage the transition between the grass mat and the pond.
L&N nut
Jon

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  10:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Catt thanks, I used chalk on the grass. Jon I'm very interested in how I do that as well!

Mike

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000