Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 88 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2
Page: of 101

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  1:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While at a hobby shop when I was on vacation they had this pack of WS tree armatures on the clearance table for $5. There are three sizes at 3,4 and 5 inch which means the largest is barely a mature tree in N scale at appox. 65 feet (the forest canopy in these parts is around 85 foot I believe) but all trees in a forest aren't mature so I figured if I mix em' in with the others they will be O.K. All of these trees regardless of size have the same exact branch structure and even though you can bend the branches in different directions pretty much if you plant several of these together your forest will start to look like it was cloned! When you remove the dorky base you lose about a half inch but when you put the foilage on you get the height back. Because the tree is a fakey, shiny brown color the first thing I did was spray it flat black after I had shaped it. Then I dry burshed it with some gray and blended it with some chalks (darker gray and reddish brown).

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  2:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did the foilage the same way as I do on natural twig armatures and after trimming some fuzz off I planted it on the layout. It makes for a decent looking tree but because of the extra steps of painting and drybrushing I can do several twig armatures in the time it takes to do one of these. However the extra thick trunk is nice and is long as you mix them to avoid the cloned look I think they are worth the trouble.

Mike

Catt
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  9:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Catt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I use the WS trees I usually use the base but bury it in the scenery.The only mod I make is to ream the hole in the base enough that the pin on the bottom of the trunk is a good fit.That way if you need to remove the tree it will plug back into the hole without a fight or worse a broken pin.

Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
100% Michigan made

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  9:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually the tree is a little top heavy so I drilled a hole in the pin (which is only about 1/2 inch long) and inserted a toothpick for extra stability.

Mike

Mountain Goat
New Hire

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  10:18:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good looking tree, Mike... and that's an awesome paint & chalk job on the tree trunk.

Bob

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  06:42:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob!

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  07:19:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've often looked at those shiny plastic trunks and wondered if they could be made to look realistic. Now I see that they can. Nice work, Mike.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  09:06:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job of putting the foliage on the armature, Mike. Looks good.

George

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  09:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Mike

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  1:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  2:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jon!

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  3:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To add some more "wet" to the water I topped it off with a couple of coats of Future floor wax. While it looks very wet to the eye the camera has a hard time focusing on something that is translucent and this is the best I could get.

Mike

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  5:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Both the tree and the water are so realistic, Mike. And...to think it's in "N"!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  6:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's 'treemendous' Mike.

As you think, so will you be.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  7:40:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Mike

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000