Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: PMStrains ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lake Superior Railroad Museum N-Scale Layout video Topic Next Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Page: of 102

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  09:12:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob! I'm going to be making some trees later today and will take some pics and post em' here. George I'm a big fan of the low level shot (where possible, can't get the camera in everywhere ) also. Thank you for looking.

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  4:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As promised:
In the first pic are some twigs, I usually can't find any that look good by themselves so I will glue and/or drill holes in the main part and break off other pieces and stick in until it starts to get a shape I want like in the second pic. I use Elmer's wood glue and it doesn't dry prefectly clear so any place the glue shows I just hit it with some pastel chalks to blend it in. Then in pic three the pile on the left is the WS's polyfiber fill straight out of the bag and on the right is after I have fluffed it out as thin as I can get it.

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 01/05/2012 4:44:07 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  4:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next I take four shades of the fine turf (soil/earth/weeds/burnt grass) and throw them in a container (like tupperware) then put the lid on and shake it up. I make no effort to measure how much of each as I want it to be random each time I make a batch so it will (hopefully) look more natural. The I spray the polyfiber fill with a cheap flat black spray paint ( this will give it that shadowy between the leaves look) and sprinkle it with the contents from the container. If you miss any spots hit it with any cheap hairspray and sprinkle on some more. When you get done you should have something that looks like the first pic. Then start cutting off pieces and gluing them (using Elmer's white glue) on the appropiate spots, starting from the bottom and working your way up as in pic #2. The third pic shows it about 75% done. This tree was kind of hollow in the center so I just cut several pieces (don't use one big one is it tends to look like a big ball) and dipped them in Elmer's and placed them in there. Don't waste your time trying to make the perfect tree as there is no such thing in nature really and when you get two hundred million of them on the layout you can't see but bits and pieces of them anyway. Of course if you are making "that" tree for the town square of other high profile area then you want to be a little fussier.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 01/05/2012 4:46:31 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  4:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And finally "planted" on the layout. Hope this was of some help Rob. Once you get used to this the actual working time (not counting glue on paint drying time) is about 10-15 minutes and the cost is about 25 cents a tree. The only change you would make to do this in a larger scale is to use a larger twig, also for S and O scales I probably would use the coarse turf rather than the fine turf.

Mike

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  6:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
great tree good proportions on trunk diameter to height and canopy size.
L&N nut
Jon

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  10:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jon!

Mike

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  12:21:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Thanks for the tree tutorial. Very clear instructions. A bit different to how I have been doing mine. While I've made some very nice trees, I'm a bit inconsistent with the results. Will give your way a shot, and see how I go.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  08:03:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just remember that this way is dangerous. To collect the twigs you have to expose yourself to fresh air, sunlight and excercise!

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  08:24:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice tutorial, Mike. Good looking results, too.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  08:54:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice trees, Mike. I've sprayed white polyfoam with black paint, but never thought of spraying the green stuff black. Makes sense - I'll do that next time.

George

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  08:58:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work Mike! A great scene, almost feel like you can walk up to the loading dock and here the banter between the people. The last pic is just plain excellent.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  10:38:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, those close-up shots on the previous page are incredible...especially the one of the grass and weeds growing right in the trackwork of the spur leading into the industry. Your trees are great too. A layout sure can eat up hundreds of em, and you've got the technique down pat. Looking forward to more pictures of your great layout!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Edited by - Mike Hamer on 01/07/2012 10:40:30 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  1:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce! George thank you, I used to use the white stuff also but if you miss a spot when spraying it black it's better if green shows thru rather then white which is why I switched. Thanks Rhett, much appreciated! Mike it's always good to hear nice things from someone with your considerable skills, thanks!

Mike

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  6:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your technique gives good results, Mike. And the scene in the last picture looks very nice.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  7:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic, much appreciated!

Mike

Page: of 102 Previous Topic: Lake Superior Railroad Museum N-Scale Layout video Topic Next Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000