Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 59 ]  [ Total: 68 ]  [ Newest Member: Bluegill ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lake Superior Railroad Museum N-Scale Layout video Topic Next Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Page: of 102

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  4:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'm finally done with the depot and the surrounding scenery. Everything between the two tracks and the road on the right is what I've been working on.

And a close up from the left and right:

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  4:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that the road is scenicked on both sides this is a windshield view as you drive into the junction:

And a panned back shot so you can see how it (way lower left) is fitting into the overall plan:

Mike

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  4:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great scenes, Mike! Really nice!

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  7:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks really good Mike.
As someone who has seen Mike's layout in person a couple of years ago I will say that the new additions really add to the overall look of the layout.
What's next on the agenda?

On this picture

I didn't know that you were trying to be funny.
I thought after the incident with Mr Dunn you were just switching to larger figures to stop any more attacks from the black tube.

I hope you are replacing these with N scale figures for it does make for a nice mini-scene.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  7:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Now that is a great scene, it has it all. The trees are well done. I like how you assembled the whole scene. Well done!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  8:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

"I didn't know that you were trying to be funny.
I thought after the incident with Mr Dunn you were just switching to larger figures to stop any more attacks from the black tube. "

Hmmmm, not a bad idea. Is the world ready for an N scale layout populated by O scale people?

John I think the next thing will probably be the pallet company.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 03/21/2009 8:05:25 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  8:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

"I didn't know that you were trying to be funny.
I thought after the incident with Mr Dunn you were just switching to larger figures to stop any more attacks from the black tube. "

Hmmmm, not a bad idea. Is the world ready for an N scale layout populated by O scale people?

Well since his scene is directly in front of the viewer with a little forced perspective I think you could make it work.

Looking forward to the pallet company.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  02:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Some fantastic work throughout this thread Mike, I dont usually stop by this forum but after seeing what you achieve in N I am very impressed , your scenery is as good and in many cases better than alot of HO that I have seen. I really had to keep reminding myself how small this actually is.

Your photography is also terrific, I particularly like your low shots 'down the line'. Any tips you can offer me on depth of field/focus, you acheive that very well.

Karl.A

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  08:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, very nicely done. Good job of placement of all the elements. Makes for a very realistic looking and believable scene. Love that last picture you posted of the over-all area.

As you think, so will you be.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  08:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike
WOW! The entire scene came out perfect. Now that's what I call model railroading.
Peter
BCT

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  10:26:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike;
I really like the way you made the foundation look like its really in the ground. I see way too many model railroads where the buildings look as if they are floating just above the ground. I have even see the problem on this forum where people ought to know better. I think perhaps many times the structure is placed on the lay out just to see how it looks. After that the modeler just never gets around to "planting" the structure and kind of forgets about it and there the "floating" building is in an otherwise perfect model railroad scene. Great Job Mike!
L&N nut
Jon

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  10:34:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I think my 'Nandina Trees' would work great for you in N scale, I used them in HO but the smaller ones would suit you. I'll try and find some pics later today, its the same method as the pines I recently posted but they make really good deciduos trees, so, quick and easy.

Karl.A

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  5:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for all the kind comments! Karl I am not the best one to ask for advice on photography as I am still learning myself. The only thing I can tell you is that for me I usually keep the aperture as small as possible and the shutter speed as slow as possible. I try to get the camera to focus on something midway into the scene and I use strong but indirect lighting. Please post your info on the Nandina trees as I would love to see what they are.
Jon I always try to remember to plant the buildings as they don't look finished to me until they are in the dirt.
Peter, thanks! I don't know about perfect but I'm happy with it.
Thanks Rick!

Mike

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  3:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the photo info Mike.

Here is a small Nandina tree with a HO figure, it should be a good size in N.

Here is the link to the 'how to' I just posted,

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25335

Hope they work for you.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 03/26/2009 3:55:06 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  4:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl, that's a good looking tree. I hadn't noticed any Nandinas around here, I'll have to start looking!

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 03/26/2009 4:53:33 PM

Page: of 102 Previous Topic: Lake Superior Railroad Museum N-Scale Layout video Topic Next Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000