Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 80 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy Topic Next Topic: NNY RR
Page: of 99

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  8:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Peter!

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  10:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are some really neat photos, Mike. That first shot down the ROW is my favorite.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  11:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mike, I am going to talk to Victor first and my guess is that he is going to say. "WHAT are you doing"

But I am going to try it on a small area, it surely will work.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  07:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce! Tim if it doesn't work please don't tell Victor you got the idea from me!

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  11:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I got rid of my temporary temporary panel:

And installed my new permanent temporary panel! :

The reason I call it my permanent temporary panel is that the labels and track schematic (sp?) can be changed at anytime fairly easily. The old panel was 1/8" masonite and the switches were starting to pull thru the panel. If you noticed instead of the switch being labeled Southern mainline or yard it simply states the color on the diagram. Why? believe it or not I had some over here who were confused by #'s and names! You can tell how model railroad savy the people here are huh? . I probably will change them at a later date. In the meantime the switches are now mounted in 1/4" plexiglass for a more permanent solution. Now maybe I can get back to some scenery.

Mike

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  7:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike;

looks better than my weird control panel:

My panel stared off life many years ago as a control panel for a really really old manually controlled hard disk drive so I have a weird pride about its off beat uniqueness. My Grandpa had a whole 32'x45' two story barn crammed full of too good to throw away junk. That is where this panel came from.
L&N nut
Jon

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  8:15:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's kinda neat looking Jon!

Mike

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  9:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea sort of NASA Atlas booster and Mercury project,uuhh?. Maybe if I erase that pencil marking and put some on some dry transfers it might do the trick.
Jon

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  2:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After going thru everything I had here and not finding anything suitable to use for my depot I ordered this kit. It was based on a Central of Georgia depot but the design was pretty common here in the South.

These are the instructions, notice there is no exploded view and they refer to part A goes on part C, ect. However there are no part numbers/letters on the parts or the instruction sheet???

In this shot notice the 2 interior walls. Don't use them, they are slightly too tall and the tabs don't even come close to lining up with the slots in the roof. Other things that will probably keep me from ordering from this company again are no window glazing for the windows that are too big to use the Micro-Mark glazing on. No chimney was included. Why? Because there was so many different types that were used in real life that rather than risk giving you one that you may not like they figured it was better to not give you one at all! Also all the windows are slightly narrower than the frames which is going to leave a gap that I'm sure will show up real bad when the lighs are on inside the building......................

Mike

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  3:36:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I can sure sympathize with your frustrations there especially after you pay good money for something. I guess Mountaineer Precision Products was not so precise as it should be. Maybe you can caulk those window gaps. On my 1:1 house that I live in I had to put in some pretty wide caulk joints between the brick molding on my back door and the very crooked rough concrete block opening that I had to install the door in. The way the opening moves back and forth parts of the caulked joint are narrow and parts are wide, bother bother, but it worked out. Maybe you could get one of those flat tapered tooth picks with the rounded off end opposite the pointy end and use it for a tool to fill those gaps somehow. I have been using DAP Alex Plus Acrylic latex caulk plus silicone, clear to glue down my cork road bed and it is a lot softer when applying than any other caulk that I have ever used so a tiny dab from a squeeze tube applied with a tooth pick might do the job. Just some brainstorming thounghts that popped up when I read about your problems. Hey is that John Bagley blue on the bottom of the wall?
Have fun;
L&N nut
Jon

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  7:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The panel had a nice clean look to it. Easier to understand.

Good luck on the depot build.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  10:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tim. Jon a heavy coat of paint on the window frames seems to have closed up the worst of the gaps. BTW did I mention that the roof sections were warped? I soaked them in water and they are now drying with a heavy weight on them. Will see how they look tomorrow. That's not Bagley blue, it's primer/concrete gray but it does look bluish in the picture.

Mike

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  11:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sheesh more and more. Paint for caulk that works. Oh well my lame joke flopped.
Jon

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  7:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the battens, windows and doors installed. From the pic in the catolog you couldn't see the back and one end. Turns out there is no freight door? So I added one on the back side. Also you will view this from the back left side when installed on the layout so I put a few things in front of a window so the place won't look deserted.

Next will be the roof, weathering, signage ect. However I have to work for the next few days so progress will be slow.

Mike

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  9:26:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

That's not Bagley blue, it's primer/concrete gray but it does look bluish in the picture.

Ah gee Mike, I thought maybe you had become a convert.

I am sure once you finish this will turn out to be a very nice station even with all the pitfalls you have encountered.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Page: of 99 Previous Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy Topic Next Topic: NNY RR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000