Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 67 ]  [ Total: 69 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary leftovers build.
Page: of 101

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  11:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike;
Can I come over and run a train on your Southern mainline powered by my Central of Georgia SD7 in the Tuxedo scheme if I ever get it done?
I decided to do that project because of all the Tuxedo painted units I saw dragging slop freights through Collegedale TN when I was a boy. Also Central of Georgia seemed more unusual than regular Southern and a friend of mine said that for some screwy finance reason the Southern would have units owned by the Central of Georgia and run them on the Southern mainline. I started this project when I was in my buy everything that I like because I think its neat and cool phase of N scale purchasing.
Stopping rambling for now;
L&N nut
Jon

Edited by - LandNnut on 08/12/2008 11:47:12 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  07:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce but the Arbor Day people no longer speak to me, but then that's a story for another day . Tim thanks for the kind words. Jon be my guest, just remember my Southern mainline is only about 7' long , of course you can also use the Nantahala main as well which would add about another 12' . I didn't know C of G had a tuxedo paint scheme. Can you post a pic when you get a chance? Thanks

Mike

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  09:13:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon,
Having been to Mike's place and seen the layout, I will add that there is a lot of interesting scenes and activity that can be found in that 7 feet of layout.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  12:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks John!

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  3:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that the camera batteries are recharged here are some final shots:

Mike

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  4:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Very nice layout you have, the backdrops blend in to your scenery so well.

I did not realize you were in the Blue Ridge area of NC. I take my wife up to Lake Lure every year and then we travel the parkway with the top down and enjoy the view.

Larry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  8:42:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking scenes, Mike! The first two photos are really nice, with the curves flowing into the background.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  9:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! Larry the next time you are coming this way PM me and we can see if we can get together.

Mike

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  10:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike;
I don't remember where the SD7 idea came from. You are right as usual. I am mixed up. I actually got out my decal set and read the prototype information sheet. The Central of Georgia had SD9's not SD7's. Aren't SD9s and SD7s almost identical? Maybe that was what I was thinking. My memory is most likely bad on that too. I only bought the SD7 because it was a good deal. Don't know what I will do now. A friend of mine had DDX-40's custom painted in Nscale in Southern Tuxedo just because he liked it.
Done Rambling
Jon

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  07:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most people can't tell the difference between a SD7 or 9 ( I know I can't) so I wouldn't let that stop you. That wasn't what I was talking about, I was refering to the tuxedo paint job on a C of G loco.

Mike

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  10:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice photos Mike, the third one really gives a far away distant look. Nice work.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  12:50:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim a trick I learned a long time ago was to spray some Dull-cote on the backdrop to give a sense of the atmosphere that we look thru when we see things from a distance.

Mike

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  1:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip on the Dullcote, I need to give it a try. I wonder how it will work directly on a painted surface like what I have. I think I will try it in a smaller area first. I do like the effect a great deal.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  3:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Tim, I don't think I would be brave enough to try it on your beautiful backdrop! Maybe you can paint something on some scrap piece and try it before trying it on the real thing.

Mike

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  6:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike
Great looking scene and a very piece of model railroading.
Peter

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary leftovers build.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000