Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2
Page: of 101

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  07:47:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Love the wall, nothing like a bit of stonework to really make the scene come alive and it was great to hire your LPB's to get the job done. I hope the project came in under budget.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  09:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

The wall adds some nice visual interest to the scene. BTW, the Association for Promoting Proper Respect for Little People put out a press release praising you for showing LP at work.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  10:55:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ron! For the record nothing my LPB's do ever comes in under budget!

Bruce thanks but I guess after what I just said to Ron they will probably come out with a new press release condemning me!

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 08/03/2008 10:59:28 AM

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  1:20:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike;

As usual I am not in the know. I understand LP is the abbreviation for Little People, but what does the B stand for? Your trees and brush and weeds are great as usual. the retaining wall looks good to. Those Chooch walls are pricey aren't they. I especially like the industrial spur. It looks good and squiggly like an industrial track should. I have had the idea that it is quite difficult to get N scale track to operate reliably unless it is laid very straight and evenly. How does yours operate? That area looks like a fun place to switch some cars.
Model Railroading is Fun;
L&N nut

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  2:32:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jon, the first time I saw a reference to plastic people it was Little Plastic Beings. The wall was an HO wall (with the smaller cut stones) and was around $8 if I remember correctly. However what you see is just a part of it, I still have peices left over I can use on other projects, so the price isn't that bad. A low camera angle magnifies the twists and turns in the track and makes it hard to tell that you are looking at over a 3 ft. length. No problems with the operations.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 08/03/2008 2:34:24 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  3:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to a video of switching the feed mill on the "hill". Not the best quality as it is shot with a DSLR and not a camcorder but it does show there is no problem with operating on all that crooked track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38lMn04lpSA

Mike

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  7:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike;

I had seen the video before, but somehow didn't remember it and connect it with that track. Looks good. That's great that it operates good. I had some problems with some of my track derailing and pulled it up to redo it. My bridge was a hump that did not work well. The track was highest in the middle of the bridge and went down on each side. That set up did not well. So now I am redoing the bridge so that it is level. That should work better. Little Plastic Beings that's pretty good. Yea low camera angles a lot of the time look better than helicopter shots. Good job.
Have fun;
Jon

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  5:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next is too finish off across the back.

This pic shows how I zig-zagged the track to try to avoid the boredom of following the straight edge of the benchwork. Hopefully by being able to put trees in front of as well as behind the loco it will give the appearence of going thru the forest and not in front of it. And maybe draw the eye away from the straight line of trees along the edge.

Just the foreground trees and groundcovers left to do.

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  6:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

It looks like we are both working on the 'backside' of our layouts at the same time. The gentle curves should accomplish what you want.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  6:29:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike
The curves track and the trees absolutely break up the the boredom of the straight run along the back side of the railroad.
Peter

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  9:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Looks very good and the idea of trees on both sides of the track is a great one and one that I might steal for a section of my layout.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  07:41:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, John steal away!

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  4:16:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a panned back shot, as you can see I still haven't done the control panel yet .

Then a closer shot of just the area I've been working on:

I would have had some closer shots but the batteries died, as soon as they are recharged I will get some pics posted.

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  4:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see that you've been busy planting trees and shrubs. The Arbor Day organizers would be proud.

I like that overview shot. It gives a sense of perspective.

Bruce

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  10:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW....WOW....WOW.....I just getting caught up with your thread. I really like how you curved the track to gain a longer look. The scenery design is well thought out, and the scenery looks teriffic.

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000