Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 11 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Page: of 102

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  11:18:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard of using chalks to add some color to bushes and grass and buildings , but never rocks . Great idea and good example.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  12:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has been an interesting treatise on chalk coloring, Tyson. I've never tried using chalks to color rocks before - something new for me to try.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  7:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well as John (Bbags) said it is a lot more forgiving than paint is.

Mike

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  8:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mike (Tyson) I just like the way that sounds. Your not into ears are you?

Ok enough teasing, thanks for the tutorial and now I don't feel so dumb. Sounds like a lot of us have never heard of or tried chalks before.
It is on my list to try. I have been staining rock work with oils, acrylics, dyes, and A/I all these years and never thought of really considering chalks as an option. I am glad you open my mind to this.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  10:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your welcome Tim! There is no reason for you to feel dumb, I've seen your modeling, it's light years ahead of mine!

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 10/31/2007 10:20:12 PM

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  09:12:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just as another approach but still very similar to what Mike does, I first take the chalk and grind it. I have a cheap $3.00 tea strainer with very hard wire mesh that is bowl shaped. It came with a little bowl that the strainer fits inside of so that the tea doesn't leak from the used bag all over your table. I pick up a stick of chalk and grind it across the mesh and it falls into the little metal bowl where I retrieve it with a brush. It works really well for me and the chalk doesn't stick well to the metal bowl. When I want to change colors I dump the small amount that I always have extra into a small container I have. I do this regardless of what color the chalk is. Because I use a lot of tan, brown and black chalk I end up with a really good all around dirty color that can be used on anything to grunge it up a bit. It gives me plenty of chalk to work with without having to rub it from the chalk sticks and I get a beneficial all around color and have no waste. All and all, it is a fun way to color things.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  09:32:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

That reminds me of the 'plaster craft' that was popular back in the '70s. You bought a plaster casting 'in the white', and then colored it with pastel chalks. I still have a beautiful plaster stage coach lamp that my father did back then.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  11:55:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WB I like your idea, I may have to look for a tea strainer! Bruce that's a new one on me, I don't remember those.

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  2:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ever so slowly the forest creeps from right to left across the layout. Man it takes a lot of time to gather enough twigs and weeds to forest about 1.5 square feet of N scale space! This means having to deal with fresh air, sunshine and excercise, always a dangerous combination!

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  9:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the "hill" is pretty much done which is good because I'm getting really tired of making trees . Not sure what I will do next but it probably won't involve much vegetation !

Mike

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  10:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very Nice, Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  11:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

You might be tired of making those trees, but they sure did turn out nice.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  11:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Looks great!
-Cody

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  05:08:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike
Outstanding. Very nicely done.
Peter

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  05:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.

Mike

Page: of 102 Topic Next Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000