Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Favorite N Scale Locomotive Mfg. Topic Next Topic: Museum N Scale Layout
Page: of 103

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  10:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lynn I always glue down the first layers and yes the glue does darken it some. But as I continue to add trees and bushes and what have you debris falls off on the orginal ground cover and I don't glue that. Also where there are spots that need touch-up I just sprinkle on more dirt, grass ect. and don't glue it either.

Mike

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  5:38:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Lynn I always glue down the first layers and yes the glue does darken it some. But as I continue to add trees and bushes and what have you debris falls off on the orginal ground cover and I don't glue that. Also where there are spots that need touch-up I just sprinkle on more dirt, grass ect. and don't glue it either.

Thanks Mike I'm glad I'm on the right track, I always thought it was maybe errr ahh a dumb question and didn't want to ask until I found out the differnce for myself.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  8:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I might have a possible explanation for "corn".
In British English the word corn means all small grains such as wheat, rye, oats, barley etc.
Noch's translator probably translated to British English. The description that you gave certainly sounds like a wheat field.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  8:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jon, that makes sense. Lynn I've seen pictures of your layout so I KNOW you are on the right track!

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  2:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I suspected work on the layout would slow down to a crawl once Oct. got here. And it will stay at a crawl till Jan. I guess. That said I have started on the final part of the "hill".

Mike

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  2:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Did you use chalks to color the rock work? If so, we (I) need to hear more.

You surely wouldn't just put those in the pics to throw us off would you.

I really like the soft color of the rock work, I have not made much use of chalks on scenery. I am getting excited now.

Nice work Mike!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  7:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Tim it's chalk. I painted the base light gray with a latex paint then colored the area with chalks. I also "stain" wood sometimes with chalk and "paint" brick with chalk as well. There is no secret to it, I usually use dark gray, rust, purple, dark and medium browns and some yellow and/or orange as well when doing rockwork. No particular order, if it's getting too dark or too light then go the other way with the colors for a bit and so-on.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 10/29/2007 7:25:25 PM

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  10:22:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mike,
So you shave off some chalk and then make a stain? Or do you brush it on dry? I don't want to sound like a clux, but I am very curious.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  08:40:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, I've never seen anyone use chalks on scenery, but the results speak for themselves. Very nice!

As you think, so will you be.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  09:18:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick! Tim I cut the bristles down to about a 1/4 inch on a small brush then scrub it across the chalk then on to the scenery, then take a larger softer brush and go across the the whole thing from time to time as I'm working on it to blend the areas together. I'll try to post some pics later when I get time.

Mike

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  09:26:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Tyson.

Having spent part of the last weekend in the Smokies (Townsend TN) I spent some time looking at the scenery and will say that your layout captures the look of the Smokies very well.

I have also used chalk for rocks and like the look it gives which is easily changed if it does not please your eye.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  4:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks John!

"I have also used chalk for rocks and like the look it gives which is easily changed if it does not please your eye."

Amen!

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  8:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On "painting" rocks with chalk, first the weapons of choice. The small really short brush is used to scrape up some dust off the chalk and "lightly" apply to the rock. The reason for lightly applying is that with bristles that short you can leave very hard to remove streaks if you aren't careful. The bigger brush is getting worn down, I didn't make it that short. When it gets much shorter I'll have to discard it as it needs to be VERY soft. I use the bigger brush to "paint" the dust on to the rock in smooth wide strokes.

Next the lump of spackle, er, I mean the rock!

Let the painting begin

Then sprinkle on some ground cover to blend it into the ground and I'm done. The whole thing took about 5 minutes.

This is not my most artistic rock as I only spent about 15 minutes (not counting time for spackle and the base coat of medium gray latex paint to dry) as this was just for demo purposes.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 10/30/2007 8:44:42 PM

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  10:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tyson,

Thanks for the tutorial. Its the first time I've heard of someone using chalks to color rocks, but as other have already said, the results speak for themselves. Thanks for sharing.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  08:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your welcome Ron, I hope it was of some help.

Mike

Page: of 103 Previous Topic: Favorite N Scale Locomotive Mfg. Topic Next Topic: Museum N Scale Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.94 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000