Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2
Page: of 101

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  8:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philip was there supposed to be a pic in your post?

O.K. I'm slow but I got it!

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 01/22/2007 10:29:33 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  5:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having gotten the basic wiring done I always run the trains in a mock operating session to make sure I have the electrical blocks the way I want them, to see if I need a longer siding here or a passing siding there that I hadn't figured on, and by doing this hopefully you will pretty much run most of your locos and rolling stock back and forth across ALL your track and switches there by turning up any defects in the trackwork.
Well I'm O.K. as far as not needing any extra track or turnouts however one of the switches decided to quit. Now these switches and the track have been recycled starting with V.1 10 years ago so I'm not complaining about that. However the passenger cars (Atlas 3 axle and Bachmann 2 axle) kept derailing going over the cross-overs. . Now they are new as I for some reason had not used x-overs on my previous layouts. All my track (and turnouts) are Peco code 55 but Peco doesn't make 90 degree x-overs. Atlas doen't give a code for theirs so I went with Shinonara code 70. Well besides being a different height they are also a different width, which made me automactically assume if there was a problem that is were I should look. Now everything else (locos and rolling stock ) were going thru O.K., so did I assume the problem was with the pass. car trucks? Of course not! That would have made perfect sense . I figured the x-overs needed a little triming . Well that made the pass. cars bounce around even worse , so of course the only thing to do was to trim the x-overs even more! ! When this failed to get the desired results I decide to try something really radical! I decided to check the pass. trucks! Whatta ya know? Problem found! Seems there is this little nipple like protrousion sticking down and when you trim them off the pass. cars quit de-railing. As you can figure by now the x-overs are seriously messed up . they actually function O.K. but look like crap! So I ordered 2 more. probably take a couple of weeks to get here and at 8 solder joints each they will be a major pain in the a** to replace.
Well that is how I spent my fun-filled afternoon, how was your day?

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 01/22/2007 5:32:56 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  5:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Your plight with the crossovers and the passenger cars had me laughing. I would have probably trimmed the cossovers one more time before looking for another answer.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  09:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce things like that explain why the third grade was the worst five years of my life!

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  7:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the wiring has gotten a little neater

And the track is done other than replacing those cross overs (which are on backorder so who knows when they will ever get here ).

Made a temporary panel out of a piece of masonite

The track diagram was made in MS Paint, not very slick but good enough for a temp panel.

The white line will be the Southern's Murphy branch line and my connection to the outside world. There will be staging yards attached to each end where the white line reaches the edge.
Where the blue and red lines cross the white lines is where the crossovers are. Where the yellow line crosses the white line it will be on a bridge. The yellow line leaves the red line and starts on a 4% grade up to the upper right. The upper right will be Tellico Gap, the small yard area (where red lines and blue line are joined with the white line in the center of what I hope will be a valley is Tellico Gap Junction. The dotted gray line is behind the ridge that the yellow line uses to get up to Tellico Gap and is the staging track for the Graham County R.R. The blue line is normally a pulpwood siding during operations but can be used to complete a loop so the Graham County R.R. can make laps when one just wants to let a train run for visitors or needs to break in a new loco. Will try to post a railroad "history" to explain how and why the railroad operates as soon as I finish making it up!

Mike

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  8:41:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Tyson,
Wow!!!!!! you sure work fast once you get started.
I agree on the cross-overs since I used some on my Mini and the trains never seemed to run through them smoothly.
When I transferred the track to the layout I eliminated them.

You wrote
"Will try to post a railroad "history" to explain how and why the railroad operates as soon as I finish making it up!"
Hurry up for we need to know the history of your pike.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  8:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy cow, Tyson! You sure don't waste any time!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  9:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys I started a month or so ago, I just now finished up the wiring and more importantly
downloaded the camera and edited the pics. John I feel the smaller the layout the more eye appeal you need to make up for the fact that you don't have those sweeping vista's the bigger layouts have and I think the crossovers (in this case) help to add that visual interest. It doesn't hurt that it will help operations as well.

Mike

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  9:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Hey Al you can always build a "Rails-to-Trails" layout! Model Railroader did one as a April Fool's joke one year.

Hi Tyson, well, actually, I've been thinking of making up a "modular", narrow gauge (probably HOn3, since I model in HO) abandoned railroad to display at the NNGC in Portland, OR in 2008. Think of it....no rail joiners, no crossovers, no switches, no wiring, no locomotives, no, no, no....well, you get the idea... Just roadbed with scenery and structures...right down my alley!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  12:19:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you do it Al please post some pics, would love to see it!

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  07:42:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, the old 'make a little progress before posting' technique.

Mike, do you know what % that incline is?

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  08:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce it's a Woodland Scenics 4% riser set.

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  4:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a little done today. First I took medium sized hunks of foam and turned them into small hunks of foam:

Then I used those to rough out the land forms:

Next step will be to smooth it out some with spackling compound.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 01/27/2007 4:54:48 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  4:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure anyone will really care for the reasons why or how my free-lanced railroad is supposed to exist, but thought I'd post my rational anyway.

The Southern Railway had a branchline going from Asheville (everything is in N.C.) to Murphy, where it interchanged with the L&N. In my time period (1960's) it also interchanged with the Graham County Railroad Company around Nantahala at Bear Creek junction. Where it comes through the area I'm modeling it followed the Nantahala river around the Nantahala mountain range. While I am rewriting history I also re-routed the Southern's line thru Tellico Gap, a natural pass in the middle of the mountain range. Tellico Gap is a real place but in my time period there is nothing there (see what happens when the railroad by-passes you ) which leaves me free to do what I want. This also disconnects the Southern from the GCRC which now means I can have it interchange at Tellico Gap junction. This is important for the operational reasons but also because the GCRC ran a Shay into the 1980's. One of the few times you can have a GP38 leave the yard and a Shay pull into the yard AND it's prototypical. The Atlas N scale shay is a little on the large size but will normally be in the yard by itself so it shouldn't be a problem. My biggest concern is how well it runs and how well it holds up. If either of those things are a problem the CGRC also had a SW7 and I have Life-Like's SW9/12 I can use. My second biggest concern is finding the $$$$$$$$ to buy the Shay!
In the western N.C. and north Ga. mountains coal is not only not king it is the ugly red-headed stepchild. In these parts wood is what drives the economic engines of industry. When logging played out furniture companies, pallet companies and pulp wood yards kept the Southern's investors smiling. And so it is on the Nantahala Midland. Up in Tellico Gap there will be a furniture company and feed company (today's last freight customer ) and down in the gap at the junction will be a pulpwood yard and a pallet company as well as a team track. The NM's mainline runs from the upper right around and down past the yard and into the tunnel at the lower right where (in theory anyway ) in proceeds to the Graham Co./Macon Co. line where it connects to the GCRC, which has trackage rights into the yard. A grand total of around 12 miles.
There will be staging yards (at some point in time ) at the lower right (east) and far left (west). Furniture and pallets were shipped all over the country so they will be going in both directions. Feed and fuel (GCRC) came from the midwest so that traffic will always come and go from the west. All pulpwood always goes east to the papermill in Canton (Southern). I will need a small fleet of boxcars for slave service between the lumber mill in Robbinsville (GCRC) and the pallet and furniture companies in Tellico Gap. Everything else can go most any directon.
While passenger traffic stopped in the late 40's in real life it will continue here. A passenger train was usually just a loco and a couple of coaches or a baggage and a coach which is what I will have as well. I can use the old timetables from the 40's for scheduling the pass. trains and the timetables from the 60's for the freight. While I have relocated the Southern's line geographically the town of Nanthala is very close in mileage to Tellico Gap for timetable purposes. However if this causes any operational problems times can be adjusted but at least it will give me a realistic starting point.
This means the Southern will have 4 trains a day (2 each freight and passenger) coming thru the junction. Also the GCRC will be coming once a day and the NM will make two trips a day plus have to switch the yard for the Southern and the GCRC. Whew! Wears me out just thinking about it!

Well I'll stop you now and crawl back under my benchwork.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 02/04/2007 2:57:54 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  4:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

That sounds like a great background story.

BTW, how do your locos handle that 4% incline?

Bruce

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000