Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: LongHornCaddy2 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Page: of 102

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  11:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Thanks Frederic and Tim!
Rick how do you raise the color temp. ?

Tyson, on my software I go to Adust > Color > Saturation/Warmth. Then slide the Warmth slider to the right (warmer). I also sharpened it some, played with levels and curves to adjust the exposure and saved it in sRGB.

My Version:

Original:

As you think, so will you be.

Edited by - Rick on 09/21/2007 2:15:54 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  2:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick, now what is s and a RGB?

Mike

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  2:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Thanks Rick, now what is s and a RGB?

Tyson, this site explains it better than I ever could. http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/color_management.htm

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  5:26:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick, I book marked that site!

Here is what I'm trying for both from a modeling and a photography standpoint with this picture. First from the photography perspective. As you look at the pic East is to your right. This is supposed to be early in the morning with the sun just peaking over the ridge so the angle causes the light to be harsher than mid-day and the shadows to be more dramatic ( I hope ). As for the modeling part of it I felt in the past my groundcovers were too monotone and didn't have enough texure so I spent time outdoors collecting twig armatures small enough to be used for bushes (instead of just trees) and then used more of the WS's field grasses. I then added a lot of browns, yellows and golds. Also sprinkled on some ground up pieces of dead leaves and twigs. Comments pro or con would be appreciated. Am I getting there from here?

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 09/22/2007 08:49:49 AM

davkin
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  5:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's lookin' real Good Tyson. I know how you feel about ground cover, it takes layers and different textures to make it come out realistic, I'm only now learning how to do this somewhat effectively.

As for the WS field grass, I have a suggestion. I was using that as well and it was just so darned tedious and not as convincing as I'd like. I then discovered Silfor by Scenery Express. Silflor is much easier to use, it's basically static grass that's already been prepared into a mat form for you so you can just tear off chunks of it and plant it on the layout. One of their sample packs goes a long way.

David

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  7:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks David! I agree about the Silfor but so far can't find anyplace that sells it in small amounts. A 12' by 12' piece would be a lifetime supply for me.

Mike

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  09:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tyson, I think you're getting there. The scenery looks very good as does your picture.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  12:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick, this one was easier as there is nothing in the pic that can "glow"

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  9:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I thought that last pic was pretty respectable but judging from the lack of response I guess not. Oh well, maybe this one will fare better? I like the first one more though.

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  9:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, although both of the last two pictures are nice, I agree that the early morning shot is my favorite.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  9:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,
Having seen the layout in person I can say no matter how good the pictures come out there is nothing that beats looking at everything with the naked eye.
Your addition of more scenic materials just enhances a good looking scene even more.

I like the first picture better also since the darker colors as well as the composition of the picture look better on my computer screen.
For some reason I get a better feel for the 3 dimensional look with the darker picture.

There is nothing really wrong with the new picture other than it looks very flat to me.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  9:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce. John after the response (or lack thereof ) to that first pic I have to admit I didn't put much effort in the second pic. Maybe I'll do it over.

Mike

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  05:01:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The first picture looks more "moody" and the second one looks more "point & click". I like them both because they represent different personal views of the same subject. I see the effect you are trying to achieve in the first picture and I think it's close enough, it would be interesting if you took a picture using your methods and asked us in what time of the day it was taken, or supposed to :)

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  2:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! you guys are getting way above my skill level, but I am learning a lot.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  2:36:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Nelson, I'm still learning this camera, hopefully I'll get better.

Jon I hope that makes two of us!

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 09/24/2007 2:38:35 PM

Page: of 102 Topic Next Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000