Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2
Page: of 101

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  06:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks T.C.! John actually while the first pic is too light the second is too dark. I am trying to get used to being able to adjust things like apertures and shutter speeds. I sprayed the stump a flat dark brown ( I used an automotive primer from Ace, whatever is on sale ), then dry brushed with Floquil markers using rust and aged concrete. I think you will be pleased with the stumps, I'll be trying your "feed and seed" today. Hopefully I'll be able to post a pic later.

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  07:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, a nice looking stump.

The second picture is nice a crisp. I find that color depends as much on lighting as on any camera setting.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  07:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  10:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good looking stump, Tyson. Well.... as good looking as a stump can be, anyway...

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  11:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! Bruce you are right about the lighting being the main thing.

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  4:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is another try on that stump:

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  7:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the area with the spilled grain. Again it looks better to the eye than the lens. In this case it a "glowing problem". I posted this in the thread on photo problems, hopefully someone will tell me where I'm going wrong when taking pics of light colored objects. John this stuff worked fine but I did sprinkle on some ground orange and yellow chalk for contrast.

Mike

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  9:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
The stump picture looks good.
The seed also looks good and the chalk gives it an extra dimension.
Keep up the good work.

About that shay are the problems fixed yet.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  10:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks John, glad you like it. About that Shay . The wheels are out of gauge, when the rear truck turns too far to the left the yoke hangs on the shaft and won't go back in (this is on a 12 inch radius and it's advertized to do 9.75 ), the wheels turn the drive shafts instead of the other way around and there is so much slop between the sideframe mounted gears and the gears on the wheels that sometimes the driveshafts turn and sometimes not, some or all of this is what is causing the x-over and turnout problems I'm guessing. Also there is no electrical pick-up on the rear truck, everything is there but nothing is happening. Other than that it's a regular little jewel! . I set it on the shelf for now as I would like to get the "hill" finished soon as October is our busiest month at the Museum.

Mike

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  02:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tyson, your tree stump ans scenery look very good.

For your pictures they don't look too bad. I'm guessing you used a flash for them. Using the flash mounted directly on the camera always washes out colors and details. Using a flash or lights from the side of your scene and even from above will give better results. Or, use a tripod and turn the flash off. If you insist on using the camera's flash, don't use it at full power. If your camera allows you to, try lowering the flash's power setting by a half to a full stop. Play around with it and see how it changes the way the picture looks and decide which setting works best.

As you think, so will you be.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  08:44:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rick, Thanks for the kind words on the scenery. On the photos, I never use a flash. There was an over head flourescent (1 white and 1 daylight) and a halogen off to the side. The camera is always on a tripod as my hands haven't been that steady in years .

Mike

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  09:16:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like these pictures,Tyson. The stump, in particular.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  10:39:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Hi Rick, Thanks for the kind words on the scenery. On the photos, I never use a flash. There was an over head flourescent (1 white and 1 daylight) and a halogen off to the side. The camera is always on a tripod as my hands haven't been that steady in years .

OK Tyson, I guess the spot you were using looked to me like you were using flash. At least at about 3 AM last night it did. Rich already gave you what would have been my next suggestion which would be to set your exposure compensation down. I would start at 1/3 of a stop and go down from there depending on your results. Also, as Rich mentioned, the white balance is off a bit. Not too much though. It's a little to cool now. I would try adjusting the white balance by raising the color temp a little.

As you think, so will you be.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  10:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike, The progress keeps coming, nice looking stump. The grain spill looks realistic too.
Nice work.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  11:08:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic and Tim!
Rick how do you raise the color temp. ?

Mike

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000