Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2
Page: of 101

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  8:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some here might remember V1.0 and V1.1 or V2.0, for those that don't a quick look back.
THEY SUCKED!
O.K. they weren't all that bad. V1.0 was L shaped down two walls with an L shaped pennisula into the center of the room. Problem? the room is only 9 x 11 and also has to house other stuff as well, one couldn't hardly move in there. For V1.1 I got rid of the pennisula, better but still a lot to maintain and the room was still crowded. Sadly I live in a low population area where there aren't many other people interested in model trains so the need for a larger layout that could keep a half dozen people (like they could fit in that small of a room with a layout too )busy was crazy.
Speaking of others interested in trains here there are only 7 I have found so far, 3 are Lionel collectors with no interest in layouts or operations, 3 are into HO but just want a layout where they can run the trains while they watch. They want to get into the modeling part but not the operation part. And the last one isn't sure what he wants , one day it's HO the next N, he might want to get into operations then again maybe not. He does like to come over here or go down to the museum and watch em' run. May be a moot point as it looks like his company may transfer him.
Anyway V2.0 was a 30" by 8 foot. It ran fine but most of it was salvaged from parts of V1.1 so the track plan had been kind of predetermined. The operation was fine but the track plan wasn't the most eye appealing. When I decided to go for V3.0 I made a set of wants and don't wants or "givens and druthers".

1- 28 inches wide so if I move it will fit thru the door
2- Very little track following the edge of the benchwork
3- Represent at least 3 R.R.'s
4- Represent this area and what the real railroads did to earn a living here
5- A higher level of "good enough" in my modeling

That said I have decided on a size and track plan which I will try to post soon, for now how ever I will leave you with this post of my pristine wiring practices.

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  9:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, it sounds like you are fast developing a plan.

We just had this discussion about 'good enough', etc., and I know that I said that I wouldn't go back and change parts of my layout, just because I've gained new skills and can now do better. That's true, but if there ever was an area that I wish I could start over, it would be my WIRING.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  9:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Bruce I hate wiring, track laying and soldering. However the trains don't run with out that stuff darn it!

Mike

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  10:12:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which is why my next layout probably won't have track or trains....no wiring!

But anyway, nice to see you off and running on a new, better version, Tyson.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  11:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Al you can always build a "Rails-to-Trails" layout! Model Railroader did one as a April Fool's joke one year.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 01/20/2007 11:46:14 PM

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  01:50:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to see you've started your V3.0. I'm looking forward to seeing the trackplan and then watching you build it. I've just started my N scale V1.0 so it'll be fun to see which way each of us go. Wanna race?

-Cody

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  05:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Wanna race?"
Naw Cody that would be too much like work then. But I'm interested in seeing where you go with yours also.

Mike

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  10:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you've "got a plan," Tyson. And your wiring looks just like mine - except you already have a lot more of it than I do.

quote:
Originally posted by Tabooma County Rwy

Al, I knew a guy back in the mid/late 70's here in the KC area whose trains were all static models. His layout was basement sized, but the only wiring on it was for animated models, sound effects (thunder, factory noise, etc), and lighting (sunrise/sunset, lightning, etc.) Other than the animation stuff, nothing ran. His layout was a scheduled stop for Greyline tour buses.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  10:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tyson,
Like the plan and look forward to following this construction.
Maybe when you get a little further along I will get up off my butt and make a visit to see the new construction.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  10:55:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

quote:
Originally posted by Tabooma County Rwy

Al, I knew a guy back in the mid/late 70's here in the KC area whose trains were all static models. His layout was basement sized, but the only wiring on it was for animated models, sound effects (thunder, factory noise, etc), and lighting (sunrise/sunset, lightning, etc.) Other than the animation stuff, nothing ran. His layout was a scheduled stop for Greyline tour buses.

I have a layout like that in my basement right now with actually zero wiring of any type..
I better get some wiring done soon or I could be in big trouble.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  11:01:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike

Looks like you've got a good set of Do's and Don'ts. I waiting on the track plan.

--Rich B.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  12:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike I can't imagine why people would want to see a layout that didn't run, animation not withstanding. John give me a decade or so and there should be notable progress! Rich this will be a small layout (28" x 6' plus staging yards) so I shouldn't be too long in getting something posted.

Mike

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  1:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tyson, looks like the same group of guys moved from there to here, my wife and I just had this conversation over breakfast, I have been living here going on 6yrs and every modeler??Ive met is a magazine reader or someday will build, one guy has a beautiful spray booth and expensive guns and in 3yrs has never used it. One guy has shelves FULL of kits from years and years some nice ones, and a whole shop and has never in the six yrs I've known him built a model of anything. Go figure. I offered to break in the spraybooth, but alas he does'nt want to get paint on it!
I will say one thing though they have plenty of advice for everybody over coffee...
So I like you am isolated until the shows that come up but most are in Portland 3hrs. away, but I drive it to get around other people who model. If it does'nt get better I am actually considering moving to a more active area....Jerry

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  1:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

"Wanna race?"
Naw Cody that would be too much like work then.

Thank goodness! I was bluffing.
-Cody

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  2:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"If it does'nt get better I am actually considering moving to a more active area....Jerry"
I haven't ruled that out either, but if I do move it will have to someplace warmer as well!

Mike

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  6:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Looks like your squared away.
Here is my plan Tyson!

Nice eh?
Philip
still working that tin.....

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Help with z scale track Topic Next Topic: Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000