Railroad Line Forums - NWSL MDC bullger
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 50 ]  [ Total: 55 ]  [ Newest Member: hardcoalcase ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Roundhouse
 NWSL MDC bullger
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Roundhouse Climax Questions Topic Next Topic: Testing a Nichibo 24v, 15 x 20 x 28mm Long Shaft M
Page: of 2

goldbandit
New Hire

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  2:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone please help me....
I have just started to install the NWSL bull gear kit in my MDC shay.
I have the cups on the bullgear and the ends of the truck shafts.
But now what? What do i do with the dogbones? what do I do with the shafts? What do i do with the ring like parts on the sprue?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  8:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
goldbandit, I'm going to assume you're talking about MDC's Shay kit, rather than their RTR Shay.

I built the MDC 2-truck kit about 10 years ago and used NWSL's bull gear and partial regearing kits. However, I don't recall the specifics of what/how I did it at the moment. When I get back home later tomorrow, I'll look up some of my references and construction notes to see what I did and if I can help you with your questions.

In the meantime, I'm not sure what you're calling "dogbones." Can you explain that term or provide a better description? If you're referring to the power shafts, there should be a long one and a short one. The long power shaft goes between the rear power truck and the bull gear assembly - if I remember correctly, it fits into the universals on the power truck and the bull gear shaft. The short power shaft fits into the universals on the front side of the bull gear shaft and the front power truck. The "ring like parts on the sprue" are most likely bushings or retainers for the power trucks - but I'll have to look at my stuff tomorrow to be sure.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  9:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goldbandit, I have the MDC Shay Handbook at home in New Jersey. We should be home on Tuesday. I'm not sure that your questions are covered in that book, but it is likely. If your question is not answered by then, I'll take a look.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Edited by - Dutchman on 01/07/2007 9:59:48 PM

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  03:59:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Oso Publishing book: The MDC Shay Handbook should have all the answers to your questions. I glanced through the book; but couldn't find the "dogbones" you were talking about. The link below is another book on building the Model Die Casting Shay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/9501-S-B-2-SHAY-Modelers-Handbook_W0QQitemZ190068703428QQihZ009QQcategoryZ4132QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

John

Edited by - jaynjay on 01/08/2007 04:01:54 AM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  9:10:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John and Bruce, I received the following email this evening from goldbandit:

quote:
Hi
Yes I do have the kit.
Yes the power shafts are what I am referring to. but they are to short. They are like smaller shorter versions of what I replaced. And I still have the steel shafts that came with the kit
thanks

I got home too late this afternoon (and remembered that I had some chores awaiting me when I got here), so I never got a chance to get to the basement to check my references or actually look at my 2-trucker. Tomorrow, if I get a chance, I'll take a look at what I have. I don't recall steel power shafts with the kit, however. But mine was one of the original 1984 Shay kit releases - I waited about 13 years to build it, so it's very likely that MDC replaced a number of the parts in later issues. I know at one time they replaced the open-pole motor with a canned motor - and then replaced that with another open-pole.

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  10:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just got my new re gear and bull gear kit yesterday.

Yes Mike they have steel shafts now.

What he is calling the dog bones and collars are the parts of the universal.

The shafts do look too short But I have had time to only look in the package....perhaps once the parts are on the shafts they are the proper length??

Thanks for starting this post...I just got a deal on a poor running HO WSL Co. Shay and have a kit for another and never reworked one before...but now I have all the books and tools...time to get going!

Edited by - Dave D on 01/09/2007 10:04:05 AM

goldbandit
New Hire

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  12:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

By now you have probably noticed I misspelled the tiopic of this forum.
Bullgear...
Thats more like it.
I want to thank all of you that have reply'd and look forward to getting this shay rolling.
I am looking to pick up a copy of "The MDC Shay Handbook" if any one has one to sell, or a good line on one, I am ready.
It is the hardest to find book in the world right now.
Thanks

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  12:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goldbandit,

I got my copy of the MDC Shay Handbook from Ron's Books last March. Their web address is : http://www.ronsbooks.com . You can also call them at 914-967-7492 between 11 a.m. and 10 p.m. EST.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

goldbandit
New Hire

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  3:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron's is out of them
and that is the fax number
thanks anyway lets keep try'n

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  4:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, my memory is shorter and faultier than I realized. I got curious about the power shafts, so I took my 2-trucker off the rails and gently turned it over... and there were those bright and shiny steel power shafts (along with 10 years of dust and even a cobweb strand or two).

Anyway, this is what the assembly should look like when it's put together. As can be seen in the first photo, the shaft between the bull gear and rear truck (on the left) is longer than the shaft for the front truck (on the right). The last two photos are closeups to illustrate how they fit in the universals.

And here's the lokie right side up again.

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  11:25:43 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nice shots Mike.

Do you ever have a problem with the gear case hitting obstructions?

The Handbook says to cut a flat spot on the bottom of it.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  11:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, if you look closely at the bull gear case, you can see where I lightly filed it. I remember being somewhat reluctant to actually cut the gear case open, so I decided to start with filing the parting lines on each half of the casing. My thinking was that I'd reduce the size in increments as needed. Fortunately, for Code 100 rail, which I don't spike or nail, the light filing was all that was needed. I'm pretty sure that I'd have to cut the bottom off the casing if I were to run the lokie over Code 70 or 55 rail, though. As it is, the Shay runs like a Swiss watch, albeit a tad noisily. It will literally crawl at a few inches per hour or move right along at a scale 20 mph without the gear case catching on anything or causing a derailment. In fact, the biggest problem I have is not with the gearing or the gear case - it's keeping the wheel treads clean. It's a common problem, I know, but it's still a pain in the wahzoo.

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  06:54:18 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes I noticed the light filing....very light smudges....like it was hitting now and then

Good news that they don't all need cutting...he mentions the possibility of dirt and debris getting in the hole he cut and I did not like the sound of that....she's a beauty Mike!

goldbandit
New Hire

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  09:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great shots on that drive line.
Do you recall if you had to drill holes in the plastic fittings to go on the ends of the shafts?
Thanks

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  09:51:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goldbandit

Great shots on that drive line.
Do you recall if you had to drill holes in the plastic fittings to go on the ends of the shafts?
Thanks

I don't recall having to do that. You'd want a snug fitting anyway to prevent the shaft from spinning inside at either or both ends.

goldbandit
New Hire

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  12:22:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well my blonde moment has passed.
After walking away from the project for a week I pulled it out again and right in front of me I saw the answer I have been looking for.
What I thought where the drive shaft ends are nothing and the rings with tabs ARE the drive shaft ends.
Cut the off the sprue trim the flash, press them on the shaft and BINGO the shay runs great.
Sometime the best action is to walk away and regroup.
Thanks for all the help.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Roundhouse Climax Questions Topic Next Topic: Testing a Nichibo 24v, 15 x 20 x 28mm Long Shaft M  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.32 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000