Railroad Line Forums - Copper Flashing and Patinas
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 230 ]  [ Total: 235 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Copper Flashing and Patinas
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: THE GRAND STATION O scale scratched Topic Next Topic: G. BILYOU o scale scratch build
Page: of 2

adammil1
New Hire

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  2:40:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, this is my first time posting, yet I've been reading the site for a bit of time now, and really enjoy it, I especially like looking at the great pictures here. Anyhow, I'm currently building SRMW's Whittensville Spinning Rig, (it is my second craftsman kit. I'm just getting back into the hobby after many years, and having a great time with it.) I really would love to add some realistic copper flashing to the roof with a true weathered patina to go along with it. I really like the pictures I've seen of the rustall system, and am wondering is there anything like this for a patina?

I'd love to have something that looks like this on my roof.

Any one have any pictures or descriptions of your techniques?

Thanks,

Adam

Dick Kuepper
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  2:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dick Kuepper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've never tried it, Adam, but take a look at

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/158-4

Welcome back to the World's Greatest Hobby

frankeva
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  3:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit frankeva's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adammil1
I really would love to add some realistic copper flashing to the roof with a true weathered patina to go along with it. I really like the pictures I've seen of the rustall system, and am wondering is there anything like this for a patina?

I have not had much success with liquid weathering solutions for model railroading, and a weathered copper is going to be really tricky if you expect to do it with a single liquid - one that simply delivers color in an alcohol base. Patina-It (as mentioned previously) is a chemical that oxidizes real copper to make it look old (blue/green). If you start with real copper, it will be costly.

Or you can simply use any kind of thin plastic as your base. I'm sure they even have plastic sheets molded to look like crimped copper.

For the patina, you can mix up some craft paint, perhaps starting with Cerulean Blue, and adding a muted green, then plenty of white to cut the intensity of the colors... and paint it on, using a lighter shade on the higher surfaces, and a darker shade of the same color in the crimps.

Jim T
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  4:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adam, I wonder if using "Patina-it" on brass shim stock would give you the look you're after? The shim stock can be gotten quite thin and is available most anyplace that sells machining supplies and will be fairly cheap. I haven't tried it, but think I will one of these days.

Jim

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  4:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adam

I use Folk Art Acrylic Paint Poetry Green as recommended by the folks over at Bar Mills. Take a look at the roof of my Mooney's Plumbing...
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7464&whichpage=8

And welcome to the neighborhood.
--Rich B.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  4:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Adam,
You did not say what material Bob gives you to represent the flashing.

So there are many options including the ones Frank and others posted.

I know that the Bragdon Weathering Powders have a green called "Green Grunge" which is a light green that I have used to represent moss on the sides and roofs of structures.

Also there is a product made by Modern Options that will give a patina to copper.
However you must start with the real thing.
I have used their rust product and like it very much as you are creating real rust.
I have never used their solution for copper so I can not be of any help there.

hhttp://www.modernoptions.com/SFpages/SFproducts.html

Also if you check the following web site you will find a company that sells copper foil material which is listed as real copper.
I have their chrome product to use on the chrome for 1/87 vehicles.

htttp://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal/bare-metal_foil.html

Good luck and how about posting a few pictures of your work.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Edited by - Bbags on 11/19/2006 4:53:25 PM

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  6:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used PolyScale Jade Green and then a thin wash of oily black to do the copper plate on the hull of this resin ship. Wish the photo was better, it's a little lighter in color than what you see.
http://public.fotki.com/stryper50/187_scale_dioramas/shrimp_cutter/a6.html

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  7:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adam, I've used Plaid Spring Green. You can use this link to see a roof I've used this color on: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7464&whichpage=10

frankeva
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  7:45:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit frankeva's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Adam, I've used Plaid Spring Green.

A little too green... needs some blue...

frankeva
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  7:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit frankeva's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichBeau
I use Folk Art Acrylic Paint Poetry Green as recommended by the folks over at Bar Mills.

Looks exactly like Rick's Spring Green, which IMHO is just too green. We have an old church in Milwaukee that has a copper dome, and the color looks much more blue - just no darker than your green...

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  8:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know Frank. Your roof in the photo looks just plain blue to me.

--Rich B.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  8:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, you're right, sometimes copper gets a blue-patina. In my mind I've always only thought about copper with a light green patina. I did some looking on the net and found a couple of pics that might be helpful.

Blue-Green patina - http://www.awardlighting.com/images/C095.jpg

Statue of Liberty - http://www.lawnjock.com/images/lib.jpg

Copper Mailbox - http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/0/0/6/9/webimg/17216774_tp.jpg

It does seem that they all have a little blue in them. Thanks Frank. Learned something new today.

Although, if you look at Adam's picture, that looks mostly green. I guess like everything else there's a prototype for everything.

Edited by - Rick on 11/19/2006 8:08:20 PM

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  9:07:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Adam,

I think I would lean toward using the chalks with some mineral spirts to bind it. If you find that you don't like it, then you can wash it off easily.

lumberjack
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  9:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adam, I used Americana acrylic paint by Deco Art. The color is called Sea Aqua. After I painted the stand up seam roof I lightened the green a little more using artist chalk.

Gerry Gilliland

Maritime Lumber

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  11:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks very good, Gerry! Kinda the way I think I remember seeing copper with the patina effect.

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  12:04:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I read (on this Forum) about an adhesive-backed copper foil that is used by stained-glass artists. They wrap it over the edge of the glass and then solder to it. I'm pretty sure somebody in the group has used it to represent copper flashing - I don't know if it comes in big enough sheets to be used for an entire roof.

I've had pretty good luck with Bragdon Green Grunge for getting a patinated copper look on various materials.

Don

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: THE GRAND STATION O scale scratched Topic Next Topic: G. BILYOU o scale scratch build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000