Railroad Line Forums - Annual Spending
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: BURRETT ]
 All Forums
 Railroad Line Administrative Forums
 Administrative Posts
 Annual Spending
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: member question.. Topic Next Topic: Trying to contact another member
Page: of 6

the_journeyman_au
New Hire

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  09:21:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spend what I spend. I don't want to know how much as that would ruin all the relaxation that I get from the hobby.
(that and if she who must be obeyed ever adds it up i'm in deep trouble )

Red P
Fireman

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  05:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I couldnt find the " UHHH lets not go there" button

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eightnotch/

railray
New Hire

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  11:39:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think "stuff" is ambiguous. Does it include books, camera gear, t-shirts? The zoom telephoto lens I bought has Vibration Reduction. I probably wouldn't have bought one with VR if it was not used for taking train pix. That would have saved me ~$50.

I just bought some sanded grout for scenery. I might use it for a tile repair. How do I proportion it?

This is clearly too stressful - I think I'll just do my taxes and see if I get a refund to blow on locomotives.

I'm outta here,
Ray

Bob Hunt
New Hire

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  7:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not counting magazines, probably around $150 to $200. My problem is that throught the years I have accumulated all this "stuff", some of it now somewhat dated, but unbuilt, several Ambroid kits, for example. Soooo, lately my purchasing of equipment or swag has greatly diminished. 'Course now I am into experimenting with the Proto 87 stuff, so that means replacing RP25 wheelsets with with NWSL proto replicas, new trackwork and Sargeant couplers. Hate to through away all those Kadee sets tho'
LOL Bob

Bob Hunt
Shadow Valley Short Line

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  7:58:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've stopped counting. This way I'm safe!
Peter

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  8:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I don't want to think about it :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

reggie
New Hire

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  1:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably about $1000.

ELK RIVER RR
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  3:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a simple question, none of my money now my kids inheritance is another story all together.Tom

mscwolf
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  08:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit mscwolf's Homepage  Send mscwolf an AOL message  Send mscwolf a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We're on a limited budget, since I have two kids in college/on missions. I would have to estimate somewhere around $1000 a year, but I think that depends. One, on whether I go to any shows, like Timonium, MD or the Craftsman Structure Show/Convention. Two, what do I need/want? I'm still pretty new to the hobby, so I'm building up inventory of tools and materials (paints, wood and stryrene stock, adhesives, etc) so most are still small $ items. I don't own many big named craftsman kits (yet) - just Scott Mason's Laskey Cabinet Company, and I buy everything for the layout at discount, or not at all (i.e. Atlas Flex Track, switches, and rolling stock/locos, etc). Plus it's a small layout, so I don't need much.

R/,
Norm

Norm

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  10:11:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I take a little bit out of my pay each time and put that into a hobby fund but I've also used gift cards to various home improvement stores to support the construction work I've been doing so that lessens the impact on the hobby fund and allows for other, larger purchases throughout the year,

Phil

Len Turner
Section Hand

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  1:55:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something I learned when I restored a 74 VW Beetle several tears ago...

If I knew how much I really spent on this stuff, I'd probably have a stroke; if the wife found out how much I really spent on this stuff, I'd probably have a divorce...

Len
http://escry.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Len Turner on 12/16/2010 1:58:36 PM

dbourey
Section Hand

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  7:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spend a lot more then my wife allows. LOL close to $2,000.

rckwallaby
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  9:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit rckwallaby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rckwallaby

Well now this is a subject I've had some interest in because for whatever reason (sick, masochistic, should have been a bookkeeper), I've been keeping a close record of everything I spend on the hobby.

Sometimes its very scary.

Phil

HA, HA !!
Just saw this old topic has popped up again so thought I'd check my original response from 2006.

Seems 2010 was 5 X scarier than 2006.
And 2009 was only 2 X more scary.

What's worse is that I really only have a junk room full of boxes to show for it all.

Is there a 'Biggest Loser' version for ToyTrain Fatties that I can go to ?
I'm going to have to go on a diet and ban myself from eBay, Brasstraiins.com and everybody else.

Phil Morrow.

He who dies with the most trains WINS !

Edited by - rckwallaby on 01/18/2011 9:40:01 PM

tdk6060
New Hire

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  10:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tdk6060's MSN Messenger address  Send tdk6060 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
just bought a new house rr money gos for bills

PEIR
Section Hand

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  2:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over $1000 but less than $2000. I'd hate to guess the actual dollar value that I have spent over the years.

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: member question.. Topic Next Topic: Trying to contact another member  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000