Railroad Line Forums - Fascia color
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 133 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: Coaltower ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Fascia color
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Has anyone tried Blue-Point manual turnout control Topic Next Topic: respirator for airbrushing
Page: of 3

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  5:56:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
What color fascia do you prefer on a model railroad?

Choices:

Light Green
Dark Green
Tan
Dark Brown
Black
White
Light Blue
Dark Blue
Other

(Anonymous Vote)
Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Edited by - Cigarguy on 07/23/2006 5:58:05 PM

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  7:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eight votes in and black is ahead by a whisker, followed by Dark Green with Tan taking third position. No one else has left the gate.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  7:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since my fascia is 'in the raw', I'm following this poll closely.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  7:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, since my facia is already green, I had to vote that way

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  8:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, Al, I new you would!

Bruce, it was our "discussion" from this a.m. that prompted me to create this thread. I was kind of hoping that people would chime in with "why" they voted for a certain color, hopefully to aid you in your decision.

My vote (as you know) goes to black, for the reasons posted in this mornings lounge. As I've stated before, there is no correct answer, it is strictly a matter of personal preference.

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  8:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am the first "other" vote so far. I went gray as it is a neutral colour that matched the painted floor so I put dark gray curtains between. I think it hides dirt etc better than some other colours.

Pic at http://www.trainnerd.ca/johnk/cn16f.jpg

rrkreitler
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  9:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted other because I am from the school that believes your fascia should be based on the dominant color of your layout (or the room).

The question to ask yourself is "Is the facia part of the railroad or part of the room?

For the "part of the railroad" crowd...
If your layout has a lot of trees and is predominantly green then a green fascia look good. If you have a lot of earth and rock then brown or gray looks good.

For the "part of the room" crowd...
Match it to the color of the carpeting or walls. This is where you see a lot of black used. Some people feel that black distracts from the railroad. Personally I like it. Especially if a black curtain is used to hide the stuff below the layout.

Thanks,
Dave K in NB

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  9:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are we talking about flats, semi-glosses, or glosses? (Seriously, even the surface reflectiveness of a color can make a difference in how it's perceived by a viewer.) Personally, I prefer flat black. My second choice would be a flat, dark green.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  10:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I voted other, my fascia is painted a grayish brown, its what many museums use to paint around diorama's. They use black too. It is a hard color to explain but I am with Mike (cigarguy) on a darker color seems to accent the RR in a better way.

I do feel strongly about a flat finish being the best.

I paint my valance the same color so it acts like framing a picture.

I used to be dark green, but that is the nice thing about fascia's, there easy to change.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  11:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well then, I went for black (flat black) as I got a job lot on some good black curtain material and I think the black frames the layout well. At least on those layouts it have seen with it used that way.

Dave's point about is it part of the layout or part of the room is well made and has given me food for thought.

Edited by - bpate on 07/23/2006 11:12:52 PM

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  11:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting thought, Dave. I never really thought of it in that way - part of the room, or part of the layout. Hmmm. Got me ta thinkin' now...

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  11:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm a little different on this. I voted black, but my fascia is actually a dark stained wood with several coats of urethane over it. I used luane plywood for my fascia materal. It creates a nice finished 'furniture' look. Everyone always complements the look during my open houses. My valence is a vynal material, also a very dark brown. I like the soft valence as I am tall and tend to hit my head on it! Never the less, I've always been from the school that the fascia and valence should be darker and as Tim said, it helps to 'frame' the picture you've created. Your eyes are drawn to lighter colors, so if the fascia and valence are lighter, it detracts from what you want people to look at; the layout. If I hadn't stained the wood, I would have painted it black.

Mark

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  12:24:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark, I see what you mean. The wooden fascia looks good. I started reading your website and have a question already. What is a 'french drain'? I'm not familar with that term.

Thanks

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  02:26:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I voted for dark green and painted my facers Spring Green by American Accents. The overall effect is quite nice and pleasing.
Peter

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  12:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my shelf I used DARK green ... and I have several reasons. One, I am mainly a Pennsy fan. Brunswick green (add some dirt) is just about as close to black as you can get and still be green. After visiting Mark F's layout I decided that I like the glossy look. It adds a finished, almost classy, look. I liked it so much that I have informed Tiffany that I am going urethane my facia for an even cleaner look. Another reason I went with the dark green is Tiffany. I have my shelf hung next to my dinning table (small condo) and since my wife is gracious enough to let me put the railroad there I figured I'd better make it look presentable. Green worked with the table we had and it works with table we bought to replace that table. Note that the second table was bought with the shelf layout in mind ... I have a good wife. I did use a dark color with a "framing" effect in mind but I think if I modeled the western states and desert areas I would have used a light tan or brown to match the surroundings.

Joe <><

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  12:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gee, Mike, no one's voted BLUE yet......

Karl Scribner
HMFWBIC
Kentucky Southern Railway
and associated lines
Midwest Lower Michigan

Edited by - k9wrangler on 07/24/2006 12:44:52 PM

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Has anyone tried Blue-Point manual turnout control Topic Next Topic: respirator for airbrushing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000