Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 78 ]  [ Total: 83 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  9:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Okay I did make some progress,

The blank is roughed out and I cut grooves to the diameter of the tower, it keeps you from going to deep. Well it's suppose too.

Then cut the ring or base of the tower and rough in the taper.

Smooth it all out and begin to sand it smooth. I go from 100 grit - 150 - 180 - 220 and finally 360.

I use a laquer base finish that fills the tiny holes, I also cut the lines in the tower to represent the panels. Easier now than later for sure.

Wah_la two towers for the cement plant. They will be cut to final height later. Now the platforms, ladders, bolt castings etc are next.

Wes, I ended up using hard maple, I wanted to use solid plastic but I could not get the hang of turning it, maybe next time.

Hey guys it is good to be posting again...thanks for the nice comments.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  9:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm look at these doors, at least I think they are doors. Perhaps some thin sytrene for the door with little pieces to represent the frame.

Any Ideas??

If you look back at the original photo you can see where these doors are located.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  08:20:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't tell if the door surface is flat or curved from this angle.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  9:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
James,

I have studied the photo for awhile now and I believe it is curved. I am not sure that it is a door, but maybe a vent of some kind. It possible it could be a filter opening but not sure of that either. Interesting they have ladders and platforms that go to those doorways. They must be important for something. If somebody knows please share your thoughts.

I am beginning to think they are sliders and not doors.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  05:03:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad your back. Love that cement plant. Those folding steps ar just what i need for by RR. Steam nut will tell you that. No more ladder. Now where did I put my saw?

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  4:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh man, this made my day. Welcome back stranger!

Your presence around here was sorely missed.

In memory of Mike Chambers

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  5:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, what a pleasure to read you again!

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  10:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ralph, Have Bruce knock those out in an afternoon for you. THey do work pretty well and they are much easier than getting a box or ladder to stand on.

Hi Ken, good to see you as well, how are things going in your neck of the woods, what have you been modeling?

Frederic, It's good to have some time to enjoy the camaraderie of the forum.

I haven't had much time to look over the forum yet but hopefully I will get some time to see everyone's beautiful work. What has everyone been working on?

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  3:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Stopping progress on the twin towersI for a little bit to change directions.

I moved on to another project for a period of time.

This mini dioram was given to me to see if I could incoperate it in the layout. It needs some TLC and the base is made out of cardboard that has warped over time.

Here is a look at it sitting in a location that I think will work. Yes, it is all one color.

Overhead view of mini diorama.

I placed the diorama in a number of locations and with the size I thought it would give a nice forced perspective. You are looking across an aisleway when viewing the mountains in the distance. (Kind of small looking)

This area of the layout is called Hermosa, snow fences and wide open country. (smaller yet)

View from a different angle and looking across a different aisle.

Let's see if we can find a home for this little dio.

Edited by - Tim Kerkhoff on 10/01/2011 3:59:52 PM

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  8:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A bit of progress, this dioram was basically one color - dark umber. I decided I did not want to draw attention to the diorama since it is not that close to the edge of the layout. Not much of any color was added as I like the subdued look. But it did need some weathering.

The ground cover will be re-done once the diorama is in place.

My goal is for the dio to break up the large expanse of scenery and look like a lonely farm house in the middle of no where. I am looking forward to it sitting in place with finish scenery.

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  12:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat little dio, but everything just blends together. Maybe some foilage other than brown would help.

As far as those 'doors' go, I'm thinking vents or pop-offs in case of an explosion????

Would sort of make sense since those platforms are not really that close to reach them easily.

As always, looking good

In memory of Mike Chambers

Twist67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  3:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Twist67's Homepage  Send Twist67 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there,
After starting with your thread some time ago I finally finished reading the last 50 pages of it during hte last two days.
Thereīs nothing I can say about what wasnīt said before...itīs an breathtaking adventure to look at those pictures.Always fantastic detailing on buildings,scenery,vehicles etc.
The little dio with that abandoned buildings will look very nice on the layout for sure.
Itīs beautiful.canīt wait to see more progress.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards,Chris

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  3:11:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ken,

Never thought of them being explosion type doors,Holy man put a firecarcker in there an I might be able to reproduce the real thing. You know I have some guys that I wwould like to see switch this area during an op session ....hmmmmm BANG

Chris,
Thanks for taking the time to read through the thread. I appreciate your comments and don't hesitate to offer suggestions as we go along.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  9:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice seeing you back, Tim!

Chuck

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  11:12:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

Glad you are back posting again. In the past, I drew a lot if inspiration from your great work, and now that I've moved and settled into a new house, I'm starting a newer, smaller version of my railroad and will welcome your "push" to keep me going...

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000