Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 263 ]  [ Total: 266 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  9:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year Tim. Hope we'll be hearing more of you soon.

In memory of Mike Chambers

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  9:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ken,

I have to say that I am not going to miss much of 2010. I am looking forward to 2011, I even had some of my favorite scotch to usher it in.

How is the new job going?

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  11:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a rough year Tim? I know the feeling! I've had a few of those myself. And like you, I turn to my old friend Johnny Walker to help me through the tough times!

Happy New Year, hope all is well and looking foward to seeing some updates.

Mark

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  06:17:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

I understand the time away. I took off for over a year. I'm just now getting the modeling motivation once again. I hope you're back at it soon and that you enjoy it.

Yes, I took a new teaching job last year. I moved to a 4th grade classroom and am really enjoying it. I also went back to school and completed a Masters degree in early childhood literacy. Both of those things certainly took time away from railroading. Fortunately, I've settled into the new curriculum and the masters is over, so I can focus on what is important - model railroading! ;~)

Glad to hear from you; be well my friend.

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  06:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim I hope you have a great 2011!

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  4:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Job is going better than expected Tim. I'll be moving to the front office when my boss retires in July. Totally unexpected.

I really want 2010 to fade away also.

In memory of Mike Chambers

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  5:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, good to see you post again. We were about to send out the Search & Rescue Team! 2010 was nearly a lost year to me as far as model railroading is concerned. 2011 has to be a step up!

Bruce

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  11:47:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tim. Hope to see some layout posts in 2011.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  9:29:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys here is something that did get completed and it really works well. First of all you need to watch Hobby Lobby for those sales flyers wher you can get 40-50% off. Then buy these plastic holding boxes. I bought these for 1.50-2.00 each. Then sort out all that fuzz, ground cover, rocks, sandy stuff, weeds, etc and sort them out. The numbers represent WS numbers, so when you run out you can go buy more of the same color. If your like me you go to the hooby shop thinking you know the color and bring home the same one you already have 6 bags of.

They come in different sizes but I like the ones that are larger so I can get my fingers to easily fit in them.

Last resort is to swipe, borrow, beg, or aquire that non teflon muffin tin. These work great as well. Don't pay attention to the blurry photo. I had to sneeze.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  9:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a little addition to the refinery project. It was made from scrap and a turned piece of wood to make the tank.

If you look in the background you can see the scratchbuilt pipe stand that runs through the refinery. It is about 6-7' currently and made out of brass. I need approx 6' more, but it looks a little different and I need to make a drawing first.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  9:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Last but not least I need a large tank with a cone top for the soda ash plant. This baby is approx 7.5" diameter and 9" tall and made out of styrofoam. I turned this on the lathe, which I had no idea how it would work. (Carving styrofoam) I am thinking about putting it back on the lathe and coating it with putty of some kind to fill in the cracks. Any ideas?

I will make the cone top out of foam as well and turn it on the lathe too.

Kind of looks like the Tin Man's cap on the Wizard of Oz.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  9:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the addition to the refinery. As far as the large tank goes can you not use a piece of PVC pipe?

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  10:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I like the addition to the refinery. As far as the large tank goes can you not use a piece of PVC pipe?

Mike, I could and I would but I can't seem to find the diameter I want. The other problem is, if I do I will need to buy 10' I bet the large pipe is rather salty. I have looked a small waste baskets etc but they are tapered and that is not acceptable.
I also need 6 smaller diameter bins and I think your idea will work for them. I also need help trying to make a cone out of styrene, I am certain somebody here can tell me the easy way to do this, I hope.
Appreciate the thought!

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  07:30:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, How about making the cone out of thin Evergreen, Cut a circle and then devide into sections. Cut one out and reglue the seam. Check the Harsco construction thread since Rick did this and it worked well.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  07:38:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, did I read this right -

"If you look in the background you can see the scratchbuilt pipe stand that runs through the refinery. It is about 6-7' currently and made out of brass. I need approx 6' more, but it looks a little different and I need to make a drawing first."

6-7 FEET? Good grief man! It does look great but must have been a bear to tackle.

Mark

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000