Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 52 ]  [ Total: 54 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  3:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Taking a break, this rock work is taking its toll....carrying those rock down to the basement and all. Plus I just ran out of hydrocal....
I did look back and found out I started around the 1st of June. WOW its seems longer than that ago...now I am busting my buttons...lol

Al, you are right about the forklift, it no doubt would help out a lot. Can you imagine how much damage I could do to the rest of the layout though.....For now I will use the boys to help me. But glad you are thinking about my back.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  8:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty well finished the rock work on the left end of the liftout today. Worked on the tunnel portal lining and now I am think I am ready to remove the liftout and take it back up to the shop. I shall finish most of the scenery on the mountain upstairs then reinstall one more time. Should be fun for sure.

This is an end view which is what you see when you come down the main aisle.

A closer look at the rock casting as it wraps around the mountain. This mold has a lot of unique rock faces. At the base of the rock work you will see the seam bewteen the liftout and the stationary benchwork. This will get blended in, once the scenery work on the mountain is done.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  11:16:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geez Tim, very impressive! I'll be anxious to see a photo with a train running through that scene as I'm sure it will dwarf the train! Very cool.

You mentioned that your not sure when you started this. As I've been building my layout, I've kept a running photo diary. About once a month or so, I take some random photos of completed work, print them out with some text explaining what I've accomplished as well as my thoughts for progress, etc. It's fun to look back at that stuff. When I slow down or feel discouraged, I can look at this book, which probably has about 50 pages or so, and really appreciate the progress that I've made.

Mark

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  08:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Great Idea, I need to do the same. I do keep a "things to do list" and cross items off, and every item I cross off makes me want to cross off more. I go back in the forum and look at posted photos, and your right, its nice to see where you were then, and now.
I know its a hobby, but maybe its the business guy in me, in wanting to get things done and move on to the next project.
Its all about keeping motivated, and your idea would no doubt help me.

BTW...I can't wait to see a train running through the scene as well. I am hoping it does a decent job of dwarfing the trains.

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  12:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tim, it's looking good just one minor problem. when looking at the tunnel head on, on the side with the two bridges, the mountain ends about 100 feet to the right were the Weber river flows around it and then the Now I-84 and before that US-89

I went past there tues day night (of course too late to get you your pictures, however I found some on line and some shots from Google earth as well as my brother was supposed to ride up there today to get some pics for ya)

This side

This picture is from Google Earth it is oriantated so that if you could stand on the ground at the bottom of the picture you would be looking directly at the tunnels on the east side which is were the picture you have of this tunnel was taken.

This is the west side of the tunnels looking east.
This side

Now this rock formation this tunnel is going through ends with a rather high cliff over looking the river so I would say as a suggestion that you model the river and at least US89 if not the 4-lane interstate were it goes into the wall right where the rocks you have built meet the wall.

Now for Devil's tower.

Picture from:
www.usgennet.org/usa/topic/preservation/slide.jpg

Picture from:
http://www.getty.edu/art/collections/images/m/06210801.jpg

picture from:
www.usgennet.org/usa/topic/preservation/misc/slide/devilsslide1a.jpg

picture from:
www.goldengatephoto.com/jpeg/99-42-1.jpg

picture from: Google earth

picture from:
http://www.carletonwatkins.org/views/hi-res_4000-4999/w4703p.htm

Now as to where the tunnel is to Devil's slide they are about 1 to 1.5 miles apart on the same side of the road.

The red line on this picture would be your facsia on your layout and the white dot would be where you took this picture from

I will hopfully get some better pictures in a day or two for you.

It's looking good
Mike J

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  12:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Tim, those rocks you made really make my eyes pop out of my head! Great work!

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  10:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Great research photos, it really helps put things in place. I knew the road went around the right end of the mountain along with the river. However, when I discussed this with Victor, my backdrop painter we decided to use modeling license. I have to tie in another set of bridges (to the right of this scene)that are at Devils slide concrete plant which I am modeling too. So we made a change, if it comes out right it will really be neat.

I wonder when the interstate was built, my era is late 50's and I am not sure the interstates were built by then. I know there would of been a road though.

On the opposite side of the mountain (West side) the scene actually depicts an area that is closer to Ogden. This area is suppose to look similar to terrain at sheepshead tunnel if you know where that is. I wanted to model sheepshead tunnel and devils gate bridge, but I just did not have the space. Actually, I would of liked modeling the real west side of that mountain, because of the vertical towering face, and different rock formations. But one must make decisions when building a model RR.
This is one negative of modeling the prototype, it can be very hard to use modelers license and change some things.
Very good observations and I appreciate your effort. I look forward to any photos that your brother can take. Thanks so much

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  10:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Thanks for the photos on Devils tower formation. Notice how much the rock color changes in one mile. I haven't decided whether I am modeling this or painting it on the backdrop. One thing for sure, I need some photos to prove to visitors that this strange formation really exist.

Eddie,

Thanks for the nice comments, they are always appreciated.

ogdentowebercanyon
Section Hand

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  5:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good work Tim. You are doing a great job of capturing the rocks and scenery in Utah. I have spent many a days in Weber and Echo Canyon. Too bad you didn't have enough room to do Devil's Gate and the line up Weber Canyon, it is by far the most spectacular place along the line. I am going to model Ogden to Morgan along with the Park City Branch in the 1946 to 1947 timeframe. Right now I am in the process of buying rolling stock and locomotives. The loco roster is almost complete, just need Overland to release their MK class steamers next year and I am good to go. Keep up the good work and keep posting pictures.

Ogdentowebercanyon

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  8:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jason,

Are you going to model the Coalville branch, Keetley jct, and I beleive Phoston. What industries were there at that time?

Your right about the area being spetacular, but I also model Green River and the bluffs and mountains there are quite impressive too.
I would really to see someone model the sheepshead tunnel like the prototype. 1 tunnel for WB main and the EB main at different elevation and no tunnel. Its very "UP ish" for sure.

ogdentowebercanyon
Section Hand

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  10:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My main focus is going to be the line from Ogden to Morgan so the space for the Park City branch is limited. It is actually going to be a second deck and will feature 4 individual shadow box scenes: Echo Junction where the line crosses the Lincoln Highway on the wooden trestle, Coalville, a small canyon scene on the way to Rockport if you know where that is (the track runs in a little gorge next to the river, and then Park City. I plan on modeling the ore mine in Park City since this kit is now availalbe from Blairline which is the mine that used to be located downtown.

http://www.blairline.com/cashmine/

I am still doing some looking into the other industries that were located in Coalville and Park City. This will give me some places to switch since the rest of the layout will be mainline running except for the sidings at Morgan and the switching in Ogden at the flour mills, etc... There is also something very appealing about a little branchline in the steam era. This line also hosted some passenger service by way of tacking a Harriman Combine on the end of the local freight. Will be neat to see this train rocking down the branch.

Have a good collection of rolling stock so far with a good amount of the UP brass models that Challenger has done such as the Hart ballast cars, the GS gons that were very common on the Park City Local, and the rebuilt b-50-17's. The motive power consists of the following, all of which was present in Ogden in 1946 to 1947:

OMI FEF-1 4-8-4, black and graphite
OMI FEF-1 4-8-4, TTG
OMI FEF-3 4-8-4, TTG
OMI P77 4-6-2, black and graphite
OMI P77 4-6-2, black and graphite
Sunset 2-8-0
OMI MT 4-8-2
Trix Big Boy 4013
Key TTT 2-10-2 coal burner
Key TTT 2-10-2 oil burner
CIL E6A, E6B, E6B lettered for the COSF
Kato NW-2

Still need a Key Challenger, Trix Big Boy 4015, Atlas S-2, an OMI 0-6-0, and the OMI MK classs that comes out next year. I researched all of the motive power from online groups and looking at pictures in UP Small Steam (lots of Ogden pictures), Crossroads of the West, Ogden Rails (both editions, if you don't have this book you need it!), The Overland Route, and Union Pacific Eastern District.

I plan on giving a lot space to the roundhouse facilities since I have the 350 ton coaling tower that Overland did of the Ogden coaling tower. Should be real neat to see some big boys parked under that with the mountains in the background. Talk to you soon.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  10:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have the first addition to "Ogden Rails" it is a great book. But what does the 2nd edition have that the first one doesn't?

You have quite a roster of motive power there for sure. I ampretty familar with the route up to Park City. If memory serves me correctly it splits at Keetley Jct. I thought there was an industry in Keetley, and Phoston. Check it out you might want to model something there too if you have room.

ogdentowebercanyon
Section Hand

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  11:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The second edition of Ogden Rails has tons more color pictures and it is hardback. Lots of pictures of the engine facilities, Riverdale yard, and the industries around Ogden. Lots of color photos from the 50's which is the era I think you are modeling. You won't be disappointed with it. I only have the first edition for the nice foldout map, the second edition doesn't have that one. You will be very happy if you get it. The difference is night and day.

I might be calling Echo Junction what you are calling Keetley. I always thought it was called Echo Junction but I could have just dreamed that up. Either way it is a neat area for sure.

ogdentowebercanyon
Section Hand

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  12:10:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,
What did you use to color the wood on your rural bridge? The coloring is really nice. Thanks.

Jason

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  02:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ogdentowebercanyon

..I plan on modeling the ore mine in Park City since this kit is now availalbe from Blairline which is the mine that used to be located downtown.

http://www.blairline.com/cashmine/.........
Jason,

Do you know anything about the Cash Mine by Blairline? I have been looking at it trying to decide if I want to buy it. I have seen it on sale before & it can be picked up at a reasonable price. Any info would be appreciated.

Paul

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000