Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 57 ]  [ Total: 60 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  07:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  1:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, here is Rusty raditor shop from Bar Mills. It's good to have friends.
I will try the streaking and then do some touchup on the other structure.

Edited by - Tim Kerkhoff on 08/09/2009 1:05:38 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  1:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rustys looks great Tim! I like the weathering on the roof! So, you HAVE been busy!

Mark

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  2:21:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Tim, you really have made some progress these past several months. Rusty's and the junk yard are both some really nice modeling. And I'm glad to see your updates posted here.

Also, thanks for posting the asphalt road how-to back in April. I plan to give the method a try the next time I have a paved road to do.

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  3:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always thought Jurgens was a neat little kit. You sure proved it Tim. Great looking scene

In memory of Mike Chambers

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  4:26:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice new buildings, Tim, and it's a pleasure to read you again.

B_A_R
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  5:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work, Tim, glad you are back.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  6:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I like the shape and character of both these structures, simple but unique. Where Rustys is going to be placed you really wouldn't notice it that much. I might re-think that and add a fascia board to the roof edge and some rafters and bring it to the front. Who knows what will happen
I appreciate the comments and it feels good to post. However, I did have to think about how to post photos once again, age ya think????

More to come!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  7:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you back posting again, Tim. Both the junk yard and the radiator shop look great. I look forward to seeing more pics.

Bruce

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  9:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some really nice modeling, Tim!

Chuck

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  11:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice sructures Tim. Good to see you beavering away.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  09:32:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good looking builds.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

shadetreekid
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  08:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You did a mighty fine job on the service station.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  11:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The last two pics are not very good, but it shows the almost finished dirt road in another part of the layout. I have messed with this area to try to get the look of a dirt road, I think I am close, or at least to my eye.

Tim,

Did you ever reveal the secret to doing this amazing dirt road? I have searched high and low for an answer to this and have not found it..

Thanks,

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  11:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Arthur,

Not much of a secret as it was trial and error. But I did find that using regular sifted clay dirt is a great start. I find that when I glued it down the color would keep changing so I finally found a method that solved that. I used the powdered chalks, it might have been Bragdons or somebody else's. Just use what looks like the dirt road in the area you model and scrub it in with a short stiff brush. I don't do anything else and it leaves it with a dry dusty dirt road look. Mixing the chalk color works well too, it allows you to have the tire track area a little lighter than than the edges and middle.
Also if you add grass to the middle, don't forget to scrub it too as it would be dusty.

Hope that helps.

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000