Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 86 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  8:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl for posting of the pics, the baler looks like the ghq model. I wrote to them and asked about the prototype. They responded and told there really wasn't one, but it resembled the john deere xxx model.
I reworked the weathering on the Hay baler and it looks better. I will post more once I get it planted.

Mike C,
The asphalt was created using Tom Johnson's method. The only difference is I screened the N-scale cinder ballast to remove the large pinkish pieces. Then once dry I airbrushed it with grimy black and smoke black from Pollyscale. I painted the cracks on with Engine black. I am going to try a felt tip pen next time and see how it does. I rolled the edges of the aasphalt as I thought that is how they might do it back then.

Thanks Frederic, Bruce, and Ken.
Thanks for the input, having people taking the time to follow along really makes it more fun.

Now its time to start adding the weeds and ground cover.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  8:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, I guess I missed Tom Johnson's method/explanation of how he did it. Can you provide an overview of how it's done, materials used, etc.? Thanks.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  9:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I could not find the original thread Mike, but here is the how to that Tom put together.

It was posted my Tom Johnson(INRAIL).
The topic is making roads.

I made the roads using Highball N scale cinder ballast. I ran a strip of masking tape down both sides of the road to give me somewhat of an even edge. I took spoon fulls of the N scale ballast and sprinkled it down from about 12 or so inches above the road which allows it to come down lightly and gives a fairly even surface. It will cover the masking tape on the edges but don't worry about that. You will pull the tape up later. After making sure the surface looks even and with a small hump in the middle, I sprayed the road with water mixed with Dawn or other dish soap in an old hairspray bottle. I sprayed from high above first to get the surface wet so the ballast didn't blow away by having the hairspray bottle too close. After the surface got wet, I got closer with the hairspray bottle and really soaked the ballast. Next, I applied Elmer's glue and water mixed at almost 50/50 to the wet ballast. Keep the bottle close so it flows into the ballast evenly. If you allow the glue to fall from a higher level, it will leave craters and sometimes bubbles. Now here is the important step. Allow all of this to dry to where you don't not see the white from the Elmer's glue. I would even allow it to dry beyond this. I am not sure on time. I just sort of watch it until it is just damp and not really wet. Pull the masking tape up from the edges and tamp down the edges with your fingers or a piece of wood. The next step is to tamp down all of the ballast with a piece of wood that has a flat surface. This does not have to be really big. Lightly tamp down the ballast so the surface is smooth and not rough. Be carefull! The ballast can stick to your block of wood if it is too wet. The secret is to tamp with light quick touches to the surface of the ballast. It goes a lot faster than all of this explanation and is easy once you get the hang of it. I would practice first to get the "right touch." After a couple days drying time, I do weather the surface where all of the car traffic runs with Floquil Grimey Black and some Engine Black mixed in since the grimey black tends to be too gray. Whew! I hope all of this makes some sense

End:

I have not found anything that equals this method,IMO it has that grainy look of asphalt which even up close it looks good. I do like to sift it through a fine screen to remove the larger ballast pieces.

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  01:14:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wow Tim the progress has been great.

I can't remember if I sent you these pictures or not I thought I did You asked me to get them for you a few years ago.

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  07:48:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Mike, that is an amazing outcropping or whatever the proper name is!! If someone modelled it, I'll bet there would be those that would dispute the realism of it! Great pics!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  10:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, it has been almost 4 months since I posted to this thread. Amazing how fast time goes.

Mike, its good to hear from you and thanks for the pictures. You were kind enough to send them to me many moons ago and I used them along with ones that Phil was gracious enough to take. I used them to paint the backdrop. If you look back a few pages you will see the finish backdrop and our rendition of the Devil Slide geological form.
thanks again for posting the photos.

When it comes to the RR, forward progress has slowed but not stopped. We continue havng work sessions on Tuesday nights and the guys have been great at helping out in many ways. Op sessions have been taking place on a monthly basis and we continue to find little snafus to work on. Its all been fun but I do miss the gang here, and hopefully soon I will be back to posting on a regular basis.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  01:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to see you back Tim. Your input and postings have been missed. Glad to hear all is well on the railroad and the guys are keeping you focused!

Mark

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  5:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tim. Good to see you posting. Happy August.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  01:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Tim,
I was getting worried about you!! Of course, you could have been on a really long vacation!! Glad to see you posting and that things are well with you!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  5:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hope I rememeber how to do this, it has been awhile.

Here are a couple buildings that need some final touching up but they are ready for planting on the layout.

First one is Jurgens junk yard by Monroe models.

Looks like I need to tone down the redish chalk. One thing about taking photos, it really shows everything.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  5:10:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A couple more from different angles. Everything you see came with the kit with the exception of a few detail parts and the back fence. The fence was made from central vally plastic fencing.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  10:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The reddish chalk on the fence and facade doesn't look so far off to me, given your soil color. Maybe brush a bit off the sign and streak the steel roof?

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  01:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking junk yard Tim. And a good sized junkyard dog to protect it!!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

Edited by - hunter48820 on 08/09/2009 01:41:21 AM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  01:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Tim. I think it looks great. Maybe a little streaking is a good idea. Glad to see your getting back into things!

Mark

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  05:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim
Count me in, excellent build on the junkyard. weathering and detail look terrific.
Peter
BCT

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000