Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  6:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, Mike is right. Great choice for creating a 'scenic divider'. Your first pic above clearly shows how effective this will be. I can't wait to see this area evolve.

Mark

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  6:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or, you could check Crow River Products...they make some 40s-50s type guard rails. Check the Valley Model Trains site, look for Crow River Products. I've used them on a highway bridge and they look good.....

That highway overpass scene is sure going to be a good looking point on the railroad, Tim!

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  7:06:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Al,

I checked the Valley website and all I could find is highway system. It doesn't show a photo so I am not sure.
I checked out the walthers site and the only one I could find in HO scale is from pikestuff http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/541-3 It might be ok, but it would be nice to hear from someone who has used it. If you know the part number Al, I will order them from Valley.

Mike,
You said, make your own. Ok..I guess I need help.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  9:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Back at it after a short trip out of town. If you recall this is the liftout section. I am building it this way becasue it sits far back from the front edge and leaning over to do the rock work, and finishing would of been a real bear.

First couple pics are of the unfinished plaster and shows the rock work form a couple different angles.

After I applied the base color wash coats. There are more to do, but it needs to dry first.

If you were a mountain climber you would see this view.

You can see the reference photo I am working from. I think I am close to the right shapes etc.

I plan to continue to paint the rock face and then take it down to the basement this weekend. I need to get a couple other fella's to help lift it in place. It is getting heavy with all this plaster. Gosh I hope it doesn't snap.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  10:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe slip a board under it for support prior to lifting it might prevent "snappage."

What do you use for your color washes?

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  10:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mike,

The slip board is a good idea, however it will be tricky getting this thing in place. It suprises me on how heavy something like this gets. There is about 50 pounds of plaster used so far, but it weighs much more. I wonder what portion of the water stays in the plaster.

For this particular washes I used Creamcoat or Folkart paints mixed with water. I will use the same paints when I got to highlighting and drybrushing. I used to use oil base, which I like much better, but its not worth the smell.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  01:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, your rockwork looks great! I can't wait to see it in place. How big is this 'liftout'?

Mark

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  09:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark, thanks.

The liftout section is approx 7'-8' long, 26-30" high. I have built them a little larger than this before, but never this much rock work. (Weight)

Liftouts are nice way to do scenery like this, that is away from the aisle. However in this case all the scenery will be done and complete when I install it the final time. Right now I want to continue to paint the rock work which should really enhance it (I hope)as its kinda blah right now. Then put it in place this weekend and study it carefully and take photos so that when I bring it back to the shop I can finish it. I have never completed a liftout prior to setting it in place so it should be interesting.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  10:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The rock woek is not complete as of yet, but I made a little more progress on that and the painting.
The biggest news is that we set the liftout in place tonight. It took 3 of us but it went really well. Here are some pics of the event.

There is two of us in the front and one in the back. Were lifting it over the benchwork in this photo

Were getting closer

And closer

YEAH it still fit and fit rather well too.

Put the portals in place and one of the bridges to get an overall feel. You can see I still need to finish the rock work on the left hand side, but I can reach this from the aisle.

This photo shows the liftout that we just put in place to the right (phase I). To the left is the finished scene that was completed a couple weeks ago (phaseII). Then to the left of that, which is not in the photo is phase III. That is the overpass and and a couple structures that are being built. I am working on it at the same time, but haven't made much more progress worth showing yet.

This was a big relief to see the liftout go in place. You know it should fit, but you never know until you really put it in place.
It will get pulled out again so I can do the scenery and touch up on painting. Hopefully I will make more progress this weekend.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  11:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another superb job, Tim!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  07:49:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

It fits like a glove, and looks great, too.

Bruce

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  11:50:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, very impressive to see this all coming together so well!

Mark

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  12:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Simply some magnificent rockwork
Peter

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  1:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for the nice comments, it is appreciated.

I agree Mark, it is finally coming together.
I am not sure when I started on this, perhaps I need to look back and see. It seems like 3-4 months ago, but no matter I have enjoyed the process and working on scenery for a change. However, once I get this finished it will be time to move on to something else. Not sure what yet

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  3:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great, Tim! Have you considered buying a 1:1 forklift for moving such objects?

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000