Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 55 ]  [ Total: 55 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  6:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim
Nicely built and the weathering is light and realistic: used but not abused.
Peter
BCT

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  7:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Actually a number of the kits that you will see coming up are of a group build nature. It could of been worked on by several of the guys and including myself. But we thank you for your nice comments.

Now on with the finished backdrop pictures of the Devils Slide area of the layout.

First I thought you might enjoy seeing a series of how it started and a couple prototype photos.
Anybody remember thes 2 photos, it is the corner with only the foam board stacked up.

I want to thanks Phil (Carrie Creek) for taking photos for me of the devils slide area as he was traveling through. I really appreciate the time he took to get some great shots.
This is of just a few of the concrete towers that exist at the cement plant. Notice the mountain behind the plant, it appears to have just slid away. I tried to capture this in the painting that Victor did.

Here is the picture of the actual slide which is a famous geological formation. It also gave the town its name, Devils Slide. Plus I thought you would look at the backdrop and wonder why in the world would somebody paint something like that. Because its really there.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  7:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Moving on the beginnings of the backdrop.

The blocking in of the mountains and basic sky completed.

The sun and clouds were added, mist in the valley and the beginning of the slide.

Final picture. I had Victor rework the sun to make it appear more yellow and add the halo around it. It then appeared to be more of a morning sun to me.

Looking to the right of the sun you would see the slide and the mountains that are indictive of that area.

If you recall the post before this one is the mountain behind the concrete plant. This represents that area.

I decided to start naming the feature scenes on the layout. Since this scene represents the morning sun coming up, I called this one "Burning daylight" it came from a John Wayne film, but I always enjoyed hearing him say it a day break.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  8:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I hope I don't bore you with these photo's but here are a few more.

This photo does not do the slide justice. I had him paint it so it would appear more 3D which he did. I just need to get the right angle on the camera I guess. You will have to take my word for it, that it turned out well.

I took a couple photos from about 12" away, you can see the trunks of tress evident in this one.

One of the buttes matching up to my 3D scenery which is not complete yet.

Looking back toward the sun scene and the 3D scenery. Notice the faint clouds just beginning to burn away from the morning sun. I never realized all the differences in a morning sky than a midday or a dusk one. After studying several hundred photographs you can really tell. Every time we do a section of backdrop I begin to realize all the subtle changes in nature that I took for granted.

Another shot about 12" away, almost gives the appearance of driving up into the morning mountain mist.

Victor captured the scene as I wanted, and I congratulate him for putting it all together and having to work with nut picker like me.

Edited by - Tim Kerkhoff on 03/28/2009 8:10:43 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  8:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful station, Tim, nicely detailed.
And very nice work, once again, on the backdrop. And I also love the scene with the soon to be quarry buildings.
And finally, I think it's a great idea to give names to the scenes.

Edited by - Frederic Testard on 03/28/2009 8:20:44 PM

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  10:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks really great Tim. As always Victor's art work is amazing.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  10:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, you will never bore me with pics from your layout. Victor has done an amazing job! I am always amazed at how well you are able to blend the 3D scenery with the backdrop. You are indeed fortunate to have talent such as Victors at your disposal.

Also, that gas station kit turned out great! I do love the air hose. Wow, you don't see those anymore, now do you? I can still hear the bell going off when you drive into the station! Ah yes, the memories. Nice detail!

Mark

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  05:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stunning! Great modeling, great backdrop!

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  05:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim
Truly enjoyed the entire series of photos on how the "Burning Daylight" scene was designed and constructed. The backdrop painting was masterfully done.
Peter
BCT

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  08:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful scenery, as usual, Tim. What a difference between the 'before' and 'after' shots!

Bruce

shark_jj
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  09:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish we had a Victor in our area, any chance of cloning him. Those backdrops are outstanding.

John Johnston
Grand Trunk Southern

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  09:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bore us with more pictures? Impossible!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  10:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the nice comments everyone, I will pass them on to Victor.

John, I like that idea of cloning Victor, might get him to come by more often.

Burning Daylight turns out to be the first scene I named. I need to start thinking about the Sun/cloud scene and the sunset one. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  10:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Tim. What a difference between the 'before' and 'after' shots!

Bruce, The whole 3D scenery and backdrop thing is a favorite thing of mine to work on. It really helps form an illusion between the make believe and the real. There is a long ways to go yet with all the structures and foreground scenery, but its getting there.

CDF
New Hire

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  09:03:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, I would name the "sun behind the clouds" scene "Brilliance" It is probably the best natural scene in model railroading.

Edited by - CDF on 03/30/2009 09:17:44 AM

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.94 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000