Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

CDF
New Hire

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  1:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update on Smith and Sons - I spoke with Harley on the phone (nice gentleman)
If you would like a product information sheet and an order from, send him a self addressed stamped envelope to the address I posted above.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  10:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Update time:

More backdrop painting progress.

If you look back and compare this photo with the previous one you will see the blending between the 3D and backdrop taking place. Normally the corner would be curved, but I did not feel it was necessary. You have to imagine that the valance will go back up and it will cover some of the corner. I plan on cutting down the valance height which will create a frame look for the viewer. It's all about trying to guide the viewers eye in a scene like this so that they do not notice corners. Also to have the 3D scenery and backdrop blend in a way so the viewer doesn't see it right away.

Here is the beginning of Devils Slide rock formation. As we get further along I will post the real photo and backdrop photos.

Now were looking back at the slide from a different angle plus the 3D corner mountain. It will not blend into the backdrop as nice as the other view, but you have to make choices.

I think we are making progess.

Edited by - Tim Kerkhoff on 02/19/2009 11:23:22 PM

emccamey
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  10:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit emccamey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Kerkhoff

Update time:
More backdrop painting progress.
. . . <sniped> . . .
I think we are making progress.

That - Sir Tim, is an understatement!

-ed-

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  10:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Next up is some of these other projects that have been taking up modeling time.

Bart and Ted has spent their profit for this year in asphalt. It's not completed as I need to weather it and paint the cracks but it is finally glued in place.

Here are a couple little structures that I got from the local hobby shop. Somebody wanted to sell off some of their things and I was there at the right time. I added some pipes to the N-scale tanks, painted the valves and weathered it. The little shed really looked toy like but after some paint and weathering it becomes a nice little building. I might need to find a door someday. I bought a whole bunch of little buildings for very little money, with a little rework and painting etc they should turn out fine. I love little fines like these.

James VanB
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  12:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit James VanB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Absolutely marvelous Tim. The blending between your scenery and backdrop is great. I could only dream to have it work like that. Look forward to lots more pictures.

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  09:28:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim. The blending looks great. I realy think you have something there with those little n-scale tanks. I thing there would be many worthwhile applications.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  10:03:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, using those N-scale tanks is a neat idea. I hadn't thought of anything like that before, but your photo shows it obviously works.

RonH56
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  10:04:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,
That backdrop is just crazy! It's obvious you are an artist but the question that begs to be answered is...
How long did it take for you to paint those beautiful hills in that corner?
I have SKY with a few a clouds and I thought I did pretty well for myself.
Will you be in central MASS anytime soon?

"What the heck wuz that?"
Ron Haviland
Owner/Operator
Red Water Railway Co.
L.B. & S Shortline RR.

Podunk, New England

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  10:15:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone,

Chris and Mike, I am finding that there are a number of N-scale structures that work quite nicely, even with HO right next to it. I would not bought these kits if they were not in the buy this box of stuff sale, but I am glad I did. I have no idea who makes the little tanks, but they could work well in a number of dioramas or scenes.

Ron, I wish I could take the credit but I have a fellow (Victor) who paints my backdrops. I do the 3D scenery, and sometimes help with skys, but he is the artist. We have a great relationship and he is fun guy to work with. To answer your question in how much time. In the backdrops you are currently looking at approx 40'. We are up to 8 hours approx. my guess is that we are about half way done.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  12:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
While working on cleaning up the bench, I decided to finish painting and weathering the oil platform. This is a Walthers kit and for plastic it really is nice.
This platform is part of a whole scene that I am working on in the town of Evanston. This platforms pipiing ties into a tank structure close by. This platform is HO scale.

The platic grating is almost see through.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  12:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim
Nice job on the Oil platform. Looking forward to seeing in on the railroad.
Peter
BCT

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  12:54:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work Tim. The rust streaks look great.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  1:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are doing some great work with styrene structures, Tim.

Bruce

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  6:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This platform is really beautiful, Tim. The level of detailing is impressive, and your nice assembly and paint job still improves it.
Great progress on the backdrop, too.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  6:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, excellent job of painting and weathering on the platform. Those tanks look fantastic too.

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000