Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 84 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  09:08:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, that is some outstanding scenery work!

Bruce

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  09:34:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,
Your scenery is magnificent.
I have been saving the techniques and tips that are also contained in the thread for future use when I get back to making another mountain.

The last set of pictures are some of the best modeled scenes I have ever seen.
Hard to tell from the pictures that it is a model railroad and not the real thing.
You sure have captured the look and feel of a real railroad right down to the dark stains just where they belong on the tunnel portals.

Thank you so much for posting the great information and pictures contained in this thread.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  11:48:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, great rock work. The way you blended the dirt and plants in to the rock is very realistic.

Joe <><

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  12:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spectacular Tim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  6:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for the nice words. Sometimes you can be your own worse enenmy when it comes to finishing a scene or a model. I pick it apart, then change, then change back, then a bit more of this, then....well you get the picture. I am glad you like it.
I am hoping it photographs well from numerous angles, will just have to wait and see.

John, I hope that some of the techniques help, some of them was my first time too.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  8:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your layout doesn't make the Great Layouts book in the next year or so, I think I'll quit buying them. Your work is definetly first class, and more than worthy of being pubished!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Edited by - Cigarguy on 07/31/2006 8:45:25 PM

Matt Gidley
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  11:01:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Matt Gidley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tim. I just read all of your posts on this thread and the scenery one. Outstanding work!! I'd say your scenery is up there with the best! In fact, you are one of the best! Thanks for sharing everything - I can't wait to see this area finished. A couple questions:
1) You write posts to yourseof a lot - are you okay?
2) Your rocks look great - what molds are you using?
3) Are you using Joe Fugate's mixture for your goop?

Thanks,
Matt Gidley

Pics, clinics, and more at www.gothamcitysub.com

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  11:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Matt,

First of all thanks for the nice comments, I really appreciate and I really have enjoyed your website as well. Very nice modeling there for sure.

I got my mixture of goopd from MR, I beleive Lous Sassi wrote the article but I do recall he mentioned he got it from someone else. The mixture I use is posted a couple pages back.

On the rock molds I buy them or make them myself off of interesting rocks or a lump of coal. A couple of them might be Bragdons but to tell you the truth I can't remember.

As far as talking to myself, well what can I say. I get lonely when it comes to the scenery post. However, it seems to be picking up, so I hope I stop talking to myself soon.

Thanks for the questions!

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  11:37:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Thank you very much, but to tell you the truth, being published has never been one of my goals.
I take that back, when I first started I really thought it would be neat to be published, but for some reason I never followed through. Actually I was offered a deal a number of years ago and I just decided it wasn't my time and I really felt that my modeleing wasn't good enough.
For the present I enjoy the modeling and posting to the forum. Perhaps in the future I might pursue being published. I still feel I have a long ways to go in increasing my skill level.
I appreciate your post, thank you.

BTW..have you been published yourself. I look at the layouts in the magazines, but I am terrible at looking at who created them.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  12:29:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, having been recently published, I have to tell you it is quite a thrill. Like many others, I always dreamed of the day that I would be published.

Look at it this way; we are being publshed every day when we post contributions here on the forum. The big difference here is that we get to see feedback from our readers, which you don't really get in the mags. Heck, look at what you have done right here in this thread and the responses that you have gotten (check out how many times this thread has been read!) This thread alone is a comprehensive series of articles that are well done!

So stop with the comments like "I still feel I have a long ways to go in increasing my skill level." You are one talented modeler. Geesh, I should be so lucky to have the skills that you have demonstrated here!

And by the way, keep it coming because I'm really enjoying watching your layout come to life and am learning a lot from your contributions!

Mark

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  1:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tim...I know that some people only want to be published when their layout is completed while others will write to the magazine press only after a few scenes have been done.

You could easily offer the magazine press some "how to" articles showcasing what you've done already...going through the process "step-by-step". Sure, maybe some of these ideas have been written about before, but I know MR often "cycles through" how-to articles every few years to target those people who are always coming into the hobby as greenhorns each year...and there's nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

While the thrill of being published never leaves a person...just knowing that you are helping others (and the readership - while declining in most mags - is still pretty big)makes it all the more worthwhile. An added bonus is that the payment for publication can certainly help finance a few more locomotives!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  02:46:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

Because of time constraints, I have limited myself to the threads I spend time with. BIG MISTAKE! Last night, for the first time, I carefully read through your construction project here, and I found myself totally amazed by what appears to be so real. We used to live 120 miles South of Grand Junction and we made frequent trips East to Denver and West through Salt Lake. You have really captured the scenery along those routes. Thanks for sharing your work, and I hope as the fellows have suggested, that you will find a publisher.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Hamer

. . .You could easily offer the magazine press some "how to" articles showcasing what you've done already...going through the process "step-by-step". . .

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  02:23:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
One word WOW

Mike J

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  5:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,
I know I am suppose to be working on Phase II, which I am, but I decided to do about 5-6' of scenery to the left of what I just finished. I call it Phasse III.

There are no mountains here, and its going to be rather flat. Its quite a large area for such a flata scene so my buddy came up with the idea of an earth bridge going over the mains. I am also building a couple structures that goes in this area as well. The bridge scene does a great job of separating the mountainous terrain and the Riverdale yard area. When the train goes under the overpass it will be arriving in Riverdale yard. A good transition I think. For the bridge I am using 2 of the RIX models with the metal fencing.

In the first photo you can see the scenery I just completed on the right, and the location of the bridge to the left.

This photo shows how I am curving the approach and how I made it out of styrofoam. The mains supports are styrofoam as well. I made cutouts for the bridge to sit in, and I plan on coating the styrofoam with wood putty to get that concrete look. I thought that curving and sloping the approach will give it a better overall apperance.

The last photo is looking back the other way at the bridge. I know the photos are dark, but I was to lazy to get the lights out.

I need some guardrails for the road, who makes some good looking ones?????

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  6:07:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tim...you asked who makes some good-looking guard rails. Why...you do, of course! Simply scratchbuild em!

I really like your idea of using the bridge and approach as a scenic divide...especially betwen these two very large and differing scenes. Great choice!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000