Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 71 ]  [ Total: 72 ]  [ Newest Member: johnnycee6 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  12:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link Tim. I do not recall ever seeing that thread. Some additional great shots there.

Although this photo is still my favorite,

these are also fantastic.

Just a pleasure to look at, especially when grouped together.

Gregg

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  7:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, thanks for posting these fantastic pictures. The integration between the 3D modelling and the backdrop is unbelievably smooth.

Brunton
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  11:29:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim,

This old Wyoming boy recognizes the area at the bottom of your stairs - those are the hills / pinnacles at Green River! You have managed to really capture the vast loneliness of Wyoming - a goal of my layout as well, though there's no way I'll manage it to the extent you have.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  7:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, if there was ever a layout that deserved to be in the mags, it's yours! So when can we expect to see it. I have to believe that if the publishers saw these pics, they would be tripping over each other to get first dibs at you in THEIR mag!

Mark

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  2:04:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark, (Bruton) you got it, actually this 3D rock formation is suppose to represent castle rock within the city of Green River. When I get around to taking new photos you will see that it has changed quite a bit as the scenery is pretty well done on the mountain.

Frederic,
I have always enjoyed the blending of the backdrop into the 3D scenery. Sometimes it actually works.

Mark, Nobody from the magazines are breaking down the door. Someday I might contact them to see if there would be some interest. However, I have put together an article that might get published, will have to see.

Thanks for the kind remarks.

clif
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  04:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, you also need to send pics to Alalen keller so we all could get a better look,

BTW for the instruction part of the video, have Allen film part of the back ground painting sessions, we all would love that one.

rfmicro
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  05:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

I have rarly seen such artistic back drops on any model railroad that could compare to what you have created. They so naturally blend with the railroad scene, it is difficult to see where the transition begins or ends. Great job. You should be very proud of what you have created here.

Regards,
Trent

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  4:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Trent and Clif for the nice comments. We are starting work on another section of backdrop this weekend. I have most everything ready, I just need Victor.

However, I have made some progress around the layout and pics will soon be coming on that. Right now I have to paint this monster of a water tank. It is HO scale and stand approx 11" tall. It has been painted once, the current silver but now it's resting place is going to be in Ogden and that one was painted dirty black. Gosh I hope I bought enough paint.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  6:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's really an impressive tank, Tim. And a nice one. It must be four or five times bigger than the BTS water tank you showed us in the planning mill thread.

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  6:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks interesting..I bet it was tough to climb up the side near the top as the ladder looks like it angles back.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

NE Brownstone
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  6:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit NE Brownstone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's not much one can say, but, WOW! If it weren't for the fascia boards I'd swear I was looking at some railfan's pictures of trains in the desert. I love the clouds witht he sun breaking through. Nice touch. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that before. Totally breath-taking!

Yeah, someone give Allen Keller a call!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  9:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, that tank is huge! I can't wait to see some pics of what you've been working on. How about that refinery? You were making great progress on that for a while. Is it done?

Mark

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  10:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Frederic, it is rather large, when I bought this tank I really wasn't aware that it was that big. I take a shot with a figure standing beside it to give everyone a reference.

Chris, your right, wouldn't that be a tough climb.

Mark, Work has stopped on the refinery as I decided to work elsewhere for now. It's not forgotten though.

NE, Thanks for the kind remarks.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  10:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dang, I thougth I posted this question when I posted the water tower pic.

How is the best way to achieve a faded weathered look to a structure like this. I have painted the base coat a smoke powder black. I have heard that by adding white to the same color (thinned down) then spray it again it will give it a faded paint look. This process as I understand should be repeated, each time more diluted and little more white added to the base paint.

Any Ideas?????

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  10:57:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My 2 cents Tim. Try mixing light sand with your black. I am not sure about the ratio but I would think more sand than black so it is like a grime undercar weathered colour. Thin it down and dust it from top to bottom using vertical strokes. I would use it on a test piece of plastic e.g. a black rolling stock tank car to get the ration right. I believe this would make it slightly warmer than adding white to it.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000