Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 81 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  01:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, being a newcomer to this forum, I just discovered your thread. Speaking as a full time landscape painter artist, I can't praise your scenery, coloring, and not least, you wonderful backdrop work enough! Stunning and elegant work!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  7:20:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Andy, Mark and Kirk,
This has been a fun project and their is a lot more to do.

Mark, perhaps after the book comes out, we both could go on a speaking tour. Cheese cloth plaster works.

I have been thinking lately that I just might need something to move my logs around this diorama. While quinching my thirst with an ale or two (not pumpkin ale) I studied Bruce's derrick he is building. This thread rasied my curiosity in how did they move logs around back in the 30'-40' and 50's. I recall seeing something like what Bruce is building but much larger so it could swing logs a greater distance. I thought someboday made a kit at one time.
I am looking for your help in what would be prototypical for the broomstick factory that was built in late 30's early 40's.
Logs will arrive to the factory and mill by car and by truck. They had to unload them somehow, Any thoughts?????

I borrowed a photo from NE brownstone to post here, as I think something like this is what they might of used.

It would add more interest to the diorama, but I am not sure they would have something like this. I guess I could go back to drinking the ale and imagine that a tugboat should be in the scene too.

BTW...progress is moving right along on getting it planted. I might have to get Bob and Larry out of jail for the latest adventure.

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  11:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know if it's prototypical or not, but that would be an interesting addition to the scene.

Remember...it is your broomstick factory...

How about sharing some of that ale

In memory of Mike Chambers

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  9:35:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Some progress, a finished Micro-scale kit of a Machinery manufacture. I really enjoy the Micro-Scale kits, especially the hydrocal bases.

I do need to add a few more details, and will do that once its scenic in.

This kit came with real copper flashing, for where the overhangs attach to the main structure. I worked to give it a aged copper patina, I think the green is a little to dark.

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  12:51:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pictures Tim, we need pictures!! Looking forward to some when you get to that point!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  12:53:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, just what the doctor ordered! A progress report on Tim's layout!!! Yes, bring on the pictures Tim, I for one can't get enough of your layout.

Mark

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  08:53:28 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Amen to that, Mark!

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  09:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

Just when we were ready to send out the Search & Rescue team to find you...

I really do need to take one of my Micro-Scale kits off the shelf and dig in.

I'll join the clamor for some pics when you get a chance!

Bruce

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  09:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

I would of sworn that I posted pics....hmm. I guess in my haste I forgot to add them to the posting....duh.duh.duh. Surely this is not a senior moment is it?

I will get them posted over the weekend when I get back home....sheeesh

Bruce, My guess is that you will enjoy building a MS kit. Now all you need to do is reach way up there to the top shelf and get it down.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  4:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank God, I thought I was the only one that couldn't see the pics!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  6:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Kerkhoff

Now all you need to do is reach way up there to the top shelf and get it down.

Tim, you can only imagine.

Bruce

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  6:31:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Tim, it's looking good. I really like what you did with the base and the flashing. Very nice. It's a shame the rest of the guys can't see the photos.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  7:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, I've seen The Shelf(and from what I remember there are two sets shelves and a desk that had some "stuff" on it as well) if you need someone to help you do the heavy lifting I'm just a phone call away. Pat

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  10:30:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Okay I think I have it now.....I hope.

Mike, you know it helps if you stare at the screen for a minute or so and then it appears.

Same comments as before, its just were all a couple days older now.

The only negative to the plaster base is that it can chip easily as you turn it around on your workbench. A little touchup and it will be fine.

I viewed the preview, as I can only imagine what the comments might be if I messed up again.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  11:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, fantastic modeling. I always enjoy seeing your work.

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000