Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 87 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  09:47:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,
I just showed these photos to my wife. She said, "Are those photos from out West?" "Yes!" I replied. She was sure suprised when I told her it was your train layout and not an actual prototype photo. Kudos to you!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  11:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for very nice words. It is great to share progress with others. Normally what happens is you work and work and complete something and then only your normal crew gets to see what you have done, or you open things up in an open house.
The forum really helps me keep going and I look forward to all the suggestions as it only can help me be a better modeler.
So thank you for the support.

Mike, (cigarguy)
Tell your wife that is one of the nicest compliments she could ever say to a MRR. Thanks for showing her the progress.
I have something up my sleeve that will be unveiled in the upcoming months that you might want to share with her. My backdrop painter is coming in August and all the little details have been worked on for him to finalize a couple areas. I am very excited about this particular backdrop painting as its something I wanted for many many years. I just need to finish the scenery project I am working on first. Will see how it goes, Victor will be challnged on this one. BTW he is excited too, which make its even more fun.

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  12:10:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim,
I have enjoyed your posts and photos of your mountains. One question comes to my mind, at least. You mention, at the first of this thread, "goop". I have seen this somewhere in the past and I think everyone has variations on the original formula. I know vermeculite (spelling) is used; but what else. And why did you use this over sculptamold?

John

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  2:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
John,

Goop formula is as follows,

1 part CelluClay (Michaels is where I buy it)

1 part Vermiculite (Menards, garden shop,)
buy the smaller size

1 part flat latex paint, earth color (I get paint from sotres that have mixed it wrong and you can buy it cheap. Plus they will even add more color to get the earth color you want.

.75 part of Elmers white glue. (Buy it in a gallon size as its much cheaper)

1 shot of Pine Sol or Lysol if you are going to keep it around for a long period of time. It controls mold forming. I only keep mine for a few weeks, but I have heard where others have had it for months, and its still ready to go.

Mix it all together add some water if you want it to be thinner and that is it. I use a spatula or brush to apply it, just don't get caught stealing your wifes best spatula's

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  2:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
John,

I use Sculptamold for scenery work as well for forming ridges, filling in small areas etc. I suppose if you colored the sculptamold it would be similar to goop. However I really like the consistency of goop, the celluclay and vermiculite gives an interesting texture. The paint ensures that if your scenery gets chipped it wil be the same color through the entire thickness of applied goop. The glue lets you sprinkle ground foam, rocks, twigs, weeds etc all in one step and its sure to stay put.
I could see you substituting Sculptamold for the vermiculite and celluclay and giving it a try. My guess is that it would be similar results.

Bruce, (Dutchman) uses the same goop formula and he might have some thoughts on the subject as well.

Hope this helps. sorry for typo's I was in a hurry.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  9:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Made some good progress today, worked on scenery around the portal. Pretty close to being finished on the mountain portion, will do touch up in a week or so when everything dries out and I can see final clors.

Air brushed the track and started to ballast the first section. Its wet in the photo, and it will dry to more of a limestone color.

If I get time tomorrow I should be able to finish up most of the area, thats my goal anyways.

This is the mountain portion above the portals.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  10:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trussman

Bruce, (Dutchman) uses the same goop formula and he might have some thoughts on the subject as well.

The only thing that I will add is that I've kept batches of goop in a tupperware bowl for over two months with no problems. I put a piece of plastic wrap right on top of the mound of goop and then put the lid on. If it dries out a bit, I add a little water and mix it around. Oh, and I have only been using 1/2 cup of white glue in the mix.

Bruce

Edited by - Dutchman on 07/29/2006 10:12:33 PM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  10:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More beautiful scenery, Tim!

I've used colored Sculptamold for many years and have been happy with the results. But it's become increasingly difficult to find locally. Neither Michaels nor Hobby Lobby carry it in my area (no one in the stores can tell me why ) so I have had to mail order the last few bags I've purchased. With shipping costs increasing, it now costs about as much for the S/H as it does for the product itself. So I have decided to try "goop" the next time I'm ready to do scenery. I haven't compared the cost of mixing goop to ordering Sculptamold, but I'm sure it can't be any more than the Sculptamold - and there's no waiting a week for delivery.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, here's my "recipe" for coloring Sculptamold. First, I dilute my standard "earth" color paint with water, 1 part paint to 3 parts water, and mix well. Then I pour 1 cup of Sculptamold into my mixing bowl and add enough dilute paint to make a "goop-like" consistency. I seldom measure the paint/water mix, so sometimes I need to add a little more of either that or the Sculptamold to get the consistency I want. After that, I spread it with the usual spatulas, sticks, palette knives, etc. One thing to note: colored Sculptamold can take a day or two to fully dry. Sculptamold mixed with plain water (no paint added) dries much quicker.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  2:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, thanks for the tip and recipe on coloring Sculptamold. I've used it plain for years, but never colored it. Great idea, one to file away for future, for cetrain!

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  7:59:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Few pictures, just waiting for scenery to dry before doing anymore.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  8:23:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim, I responded to your photo in the weekend thread about "heading home light". That was a great shot, and so are these. I remember the excitement I gained each time I was able to progress on my B&M layout. Now that it's complete, it's fun watching you progress on your fabulous layout there.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  9:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, I do appreciate your comments. Believe me it feels good to have this pretty well completed. This phase and the next one are backbreakers and I will be glad when they are done. It has been fun, other than the leaning over and working off ladders all the time.

Mike C. and Al, I have bought some of that paint that comes in pint bottles (Walmart, Hobby Lobby). It has more pigment in it than latex paint. I just squirt it into the sculptamold to color it. Just another thought!

After using both, I am really am sold on the goop mixture, but either one will work.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  12:29:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Tim, those last four pics bring it all together, don't they? Just fantastic work! Those UP engines look right at home in a very believable and extremely well done scene! I've really enjoyed watching you pull this together. Bravo!

Mark

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  08:32:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim. some of the best scenery modeling I've ever seen. Excellent! Thanks for the pics.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  08:45:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, Tim! Very nicely done.

Chuck

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000