Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  10:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris,

If I had time I would put a beaver pond right where the plywood lake is, in that last photo. If I just had some beavers. Do you happen to know where I can find some?

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  10:59:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where's the steam engines??? Seriously I don't remember your era so I don't know if steam engines fit. I have always been jealous of the large number of steam engine models that UP modelers have to chose from. Oh well. Seems to be no smilies that steam or smoke.
Have fun;
L&N nut
Jon

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  05:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a roster, Tim. Indeed, you should be able to run a good number of trains with such a team of locos.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  09:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jon,

I have a couple steamers, they are just not in the photo. I model mid to late 50's for the most part, so some steam would still be around. I need to send my 4-6-6-4 to Bruce (steamnut)to have him work it over to get it running well. My two steam engines are brass and one runs well and the other needs some TLC. From what I have seen the new plastic steamers run well right out of the box, so maybe its time to add one and see how it goes.

Frederic,

Currently we are operating about 22 trains a session, but that number will go up over time to around 30-34. The need for power on the layout is almost as insastiable as is the need for more rolling stock. Fortunately my RR friends have added a train or two to help eleviate that problem for awhile.
My current plan is to add 2-3 trains per year for the next several years. That is of course while I build structures and scenery and fix problems.

Gosh I make it sound like work! The layout is an escape for me, to relax and leave the worries behind. Plus building/creating a RR with friends just adds the icing on the cake.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  09:46:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok. Thanks for the reply. I'll be rooting for more steam engines with sound.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  10:49:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always get excited when I see this thread pop up with the hopes of seeing more pictures of this gorgeous layout. Tim, those are some nice additions to the roster.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  12:34:02 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't agree more. I will be watching closely for how you weather the locomotives.. your other weathered locos and rolling stocks are fantastic! Keep those pictures rolling. This layout very much deserves to be a major feature and on the cover of MR.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  07:44:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yea, Steam! I can smell it now. Oh wait, that smell is from my 0-4-0 sitting here nice and warm in the basement. 10 weeks till steam up. Tim, send it on whenever, and I'll take a look at it.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  05:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for the very nice comments.

Believe it or not the RR survived another Op session this past Sunday. Here are a few pics, I hope you enjoy.

This is Jeff doing some serious squinting, perhaps I need to back off on weathering over the numbers.

One of the City trains going past the Green River depot. Yes I know its cardboard, but it is better than an ole Athearn box sitting there. That is Larry working in the new coach yard.

Speeding away to the Altamont and Aspen Tunnel.

The Green River yard is beginning to fill up, in the background is a manifest train making it's way west.

Sometimes you just have to get on your knees when there is an issue that arises. That is my son Brian next to me. He has helped out with the staging yards to keep things running smoothly. Hard to tell, but that is my new carpet I am kneeling on.....ahhhh. why I didn't do that years ago.

Now this accident occurred when one of the fellas put this aluminum foil car on the grade crossing. It's hard to believe but that was a perfect shell of a car before the City of St Loius plowed into it. Perhaps I need to install flashers here.

This is Bob sitting in one of the hot seats in the dispatchers room. It's his first time, and he did a fine job. Normally I give them a football helmet to wear to help protect their head when the action gets hectic.

Another session completed, and a few more problems to fix. Nothing better than operating to find those pesky little problems. Thanks for looking.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  08:58:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Tim, some fantastic pictures! And a good shot of you, the owner, trying to fix a problem during the session. We can all relate to that!!!

You know, I had to go back and look, but I noticed above that the coach yard in Green River is done and operating, yet the last post on that reconstruction project was back in August. Your holding out on us!

Glad to hear all went well with the session. It looks like everyone had fun.

Mark

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  10:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like the crew had a great time, Tim.

Bruce

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  11:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, just what I was hoping for, more pictures. Thanks Tim. The layout looks great and it looks like everyone had a ball.

Brunton
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  1:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fantastic, Tim! That is one very impressive yard at Green River! What a layout! I'm green with envy!!!

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  3:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the pics Tim. Looks like everyone is having a good time running your layout.

In memory of Mike Chambers

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  3:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I think eveyone had a good time, I know I did.

Ken,

I thought you might notice that no one was drinking Dr Pepper. Actually I ran out of that potion first. I guess I need to buy more of that next time. The Nestea in the can in the last photos, just doesn't carry the same kick.

The session lasted from 2:00 till about 7:30 with a break in the middle. That was a long time, and in the future I will cut back on trains or end the session earlier. Gosh I don't want to wear the operators out, but the RR has to make money, as the guys say.

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.82 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000