Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 71 ]  [ Total: 72 ]  [ Newest Member: johnnycee6 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  12:01:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, Google "Aiphone" They have phone systems that may suit your needs. Congrats on the first run.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  12:12:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on getting that first op session in!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  01:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Tim. My guess was wrong but I'm sure the model is good.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  06:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

In the round-robin ops group I belong to, everyone uses the FRS radios - with one exception. One gent uses phones. As a group, we largely prefer the radios. I think that you might find as your core group of operators becomes more accustomed to the layout, you'll hear less "repeats." We have little idle chatter, the radios are reserved for train talk only.
As Mark suggested, one of our layouts does use two channels, one for dispatching, one for yard guys. When a train approaches the yard, the dispatcher contacts the yard guy and tells him train XX is knocking on his door. The yard guy will tell him to hold the train outside the yard, or that it's ok for him to approach. If the ok is given, the dispatcher will tell train XX to go the milepost just outside the yard, then to contact the yardmaster. From there, they (train XX) can switch channels with the flip of a finger and communicate with the yard guy at will. Most of the time we have found that once in the yard, we just talk directly to the yardmaster as opposed to using the radio, since we're generally only a few feet from them!
I'd give the radios a chance to prove themselves over a few sessions before jumping into the phone fray. Unless, of course, phones are what you're really after! :)

Ah, just remembered... the gent who uses the phones will be with us in April, perhaps you could talk to him about it then.

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Edited by - Cigarguy on 01/08/2008 07:34:55 AM

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  07:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the layouts here uses phones between the dispatcher and the yards only, The road crews use the radio's.

B_A_R
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  10:35:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a great session, Tim, you layout looks like a pleasure to operate, especially the CTC board.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  10:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think you are right, as time goes by and more signals get in there will be less talk. A lot of our problem is that the RR is new to them. I have put many labels around the layout that helps identify where they are etc. But everyone uses a little different lingo, so I will concentrate my efforts on that first. The radios work fine, but there was just too much communicating going on. As we gain more and more experience it should take care of itself.

The two channel thing we have done and it works ok, but its kind of a pain to switch channels. I have actually thought of adding radios that are on a separate channel and having them hanging where the frequency would change.

For now nothing is going to happen, but I appreciate the links, sometimes reading about how others tackle problems will help solve mine.

Tonight is a work session, so it will be interesting to hear what the work crew thought about how the session went.

Thanks for the input.

Mike, did you get my reply back on layout suggestions?

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  11:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tim,

Congrats on your first successful operating session. It gets easier from now on. Right now I plan to have my first operation session at the end of February, nothing like a deadline to motivate you.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  4:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Tim, I did. Thanks!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  12:16:40 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is one of the best threads on the forum. I have learned a lot of things from reading on this. Even though I model in on30, there are so many things (tips et al) I am going to steal from this great layout, particularly where scenery is concerned. The scenery done here is just fabulous and very detailed. It is frankly right up there with Furlow and Olson desert scenery modeling.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  9:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Arthur,

That is quite a compliment, I appreciate your kind words. I am glad that some of the post might help you with your scenery. As you already know there is many wonderful modelers on the forum and all you have to do is ask, and you will get some great advice.

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  10:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim Congrats on the ops session. May it be the first of many,,,
Joe

Cheers!, Joe

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  9:06:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim, I just caught up on your thread. I'm so glad to hear about your first ops session! It's amazing to watch an incredible layout come to life...just like the first breaths of a newborn baby! Much congratulations and here's to many more sessions!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  10:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Tim. Looking forward to more anecdotes about you and your friends beavering away.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  10:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike and Joe,
It has been a long time coming, but what a great feeling to see it running.

With my friend Larry supplying some of his locomotives the last session it went well. But it was time for me to add more power to the layout. So here is what I have been working on the last week or so. Installing receivers, and details to SD7's, GP9's, and E units, of course they just happen to be Union Pacific.
This will give me enough power that will allow me to add a few more trains over time, or in case one conks out during a session.

I need to weather them yet, but I will wait on that until after the next session. Which is coming up the first part of February.

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000