Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 82 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  07:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, I'm going to have to get me some of that wax paper. It looks like it could have a multitude of uses.

Bruce

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  09:26:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Christina,
Good question, you can install a tortoise in any position that you might need to. The trick is getting the linkage to the turnout. I typically use a brass tube and then insert a music wire thru the tube to the turnout. (Music wire=the same type that comes with the tortoise.) You can buy it in 3' lengths and different sizes. With this method you can control a turnout 3' away from where the tortoise is installed.

The following picture is not that clear, but you can see the brass tube extending to the left. Also note the linkage at the tortoise throw arm, this allows for some movement so that the wire runs smoothly through the brass tube.

If you would like additional pictures, let me know and I will get them posted. Sorry that its not that clear.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  09:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Peter, Christina, thanks for the coments.
Peter, Gosh I wish your statement was true, otherwise why did I have to re-do this yard.

Bruce, Let me know what other uses you find for the wax paper. I use it to seal plastic drink cups too. When I mix up some paint I can now leave it right in the pastic cup and seal it with wax paper. I have them sealed for 6 months like this and it hasn't dried out....WOW. Save me from looking for jars with lids, or just throwing it out.

Ken, Nothing better than good turtle soup, especially from one of those big snappers.

Quinn222
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  10:06:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Tim, that's really helpful and solves a problem for me with that one area. When you have time I would like to see more photos if you have them. Also, where do you purchase music wire?

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  10:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim
It's obvious .. the first time was just a warm up.
Peter

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  12:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Christina, I purchase mine at the hobby shop, however you can buy it at the ACE or Tru value hardware. Retail centers like Menards or maybe lowes would have it too. Take a piece along with you so you get the right size. Actually I use one size larger. You can also buy the brass, copper, or aluminum tubing there as well. The tubing and wire does not need to fit snuggly, but it needs to be small enough to not let the music wire bend.

Another neat way is what the airplane guys use on there flying models. I am not sure what it is called, but its plastic and they slide inside each other smoothly.

I wil get some pics once the paint dries.

Peter, Actually the yard took me 3 times to get right... I am still not sure I have it.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  12:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim
Practice makes perfect.
Peter

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  8:04:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes it has been a while since I posted in this thread, almost 6 weeks. I have been busy building a refinery complex for the town of Sinclair on my layout.

Here are a few pics of the prototype.

These 4 pictures give a short overview of the prototype. The plan is to model it in such a way to make a good representation of the site. Most of the complex is being scratchbuilt using new techniques for me and many new materials that I have not used before. It has been a lot of fun thus far. For those of you who have been following along in this thread, I just want you to know that I am not asleep at the switch. But rather I have started another thread in the forum. Its called "Building a refinery from scratch" Here is the link if you are interested in following along. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18000
I will be posting in this thread as I add structures and details to the layout, such as the ones that follows. I hope you enjoy.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  8:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the site space of the model. Its obvious I have a long way to go, but its a start.

This is looking at the left end of the refinery space, overall dimensions are approx. 3' x 9' that the refinery will eventually fill.

The silver structure is easily recognized as its the Walthers refinery kit. This was built as a stand in until the refinery was built. I will use many parts of it in the new refinery.

Gives you a view of the middle section or just to the right of the two larger towers. I laid 1/4" plywood on top of the base so that sections can be removed to work on them.

This a photo of the plastruct butane refinery, I will leave most of it intact, but add more tanks and of course piping to the area.

You can see the plywood that I will be working on, but also you can see that this is a liftout section to allow access if needed. It was going to be an operators pit, but I believe they can reach everything from the aisle.

If you have any questions or suggestions feel free to fire away. This project will take quite awhile to complete, but as I make progress I will post some of it here. Otherwise I will be posting in the other thread.

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  9:00:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tim,

Looks like you have a great start to the refinery project. can't wait to see the finished project.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  9:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your making some great progress Tim. Can't wait to see more.

In memory of Mike Chambers

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  11:53:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, I've been following your progress on the refinery thread, but it's really cool to see it come together here. I didn't realize you've completed so many components already! And in such a large space. Good lord man, this should keep you busy for quite a while!

Mark

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  11:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim. It looks great. Can almost smell the fumes

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

BrianZ
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  12:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Tim!

Looks like you’re refining the art of scratch building!

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  6:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Well its been almost two months since I posted here,and I decided to give you an update. This update will be absent of photos, as I not certain what I would take photos of.
The last month or so I have been feverishly working on the layout to get it ready for the first real time operating session. I am getting pretty close, but today was special in that the programming of all the turnouts through the CTC panel was completed and debugged. This has been quite a hurdle for me, as I a not much of a programmer, and it meant fixing all the little wiring issues around the layout. Well it all seems to be working great and now it lets me concentrate on programming the latches that will control the signals.
I thougth I would TOOT my horn,

toot toot!

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.95 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000