Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 64 ]  [ Total: 66 ]  [ Newest Member: johnnycee6 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  12:48:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Kerkhoff

Gosh its been almost a month since the last post.

Not that anyone has been watching the clock, but yes, we were wondering what happened to you Tim! Glad to see this thread active again. Pics? Yes! Don't hold back. We are never disappointed!

Mark

Brunton
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  06:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been suffering withdrawl pains for a month! Good to hear they'll soon be over!

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  10:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
HI guys,

Lets see, its time for an update. It has been awhile coming, but I am back to doing scenery work in the yard. If you recall the yard had a coach yard additon, and a number of turnouts added to make the yard more functional. With that decison, it called for a few comprimises, and it also affected the scenery along the backdrop and the large liftout mountain. See page 44-45 for a better look if you like.
In the series of photos you will see that a section of scenery need to be filled in. It had to be strong as people will undoubtely lean against it. The first two photos show the additonal scenery form that was built.

You can see the foam applied to a wood backing support in this picture.

After sculptamold was applied, as you can see I tinted it green.

Then it was time to blend it in. I used the cheap acrylics you get from Walmart. This was the first coat of paint, all that is left is some touch up. The 3 photos show the backdrop and the all most vertical scenery from left to right.

What do you think?

The mountain is back in place and I will post those photos soon.

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  11:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is quite the technique. I think the scenery blends nicely into the backdrop. The colours are an excellent match. Are you going to continue the green in places further down the backdrop so as to divide the rock layers and create a little more distance/depth? The top of the mountain has good colour and the foreground is lighter. I would think that the colour should be a little stronger/darker as the scenery is nearer to the viewer. Food for thought. I really like this kind of land form and it is so true to the prototype. Well done.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  11:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tim,

Glad to hear you finally were able to chase those nasty electrical gremlins away. They sure cane be a pain and add years to ones life.

I really like the way you blended the backdrop into the scenery, you can't tell where the scenery ends and the backdrop begins. Amazing work and technique.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  04:05:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Chris, you bring up a good point. Here is the real thing which shows its darker at the top then becomes lighter. I used some personal preference with some of the coloring. It really is rather grayish color the closer you get to the bottom of the mountain. If I understand your comment correctly, you are thinking that I should have more green/earth colors toward the bottom.

Let me know what you think after looking at these.

This series shows a panorama type shots from left to the right. Castle rock is the large mountain with the big bluff top, and it's well know by its towering view of Green River.
The first 2-3 photos are to the left of what I just painted, the balance is the remaining photos.
Sorry for all the photos, but its a big area

Are those trees I see?

Edited by - Tim Kerkhoff on 08/23/2007 04:07:54 AM

Brunton
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  05:51:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I was growing up in Wyoming we'd pass through the Green River area from time to time. Those great views of the hills overlooking Green River are making me homesick! Fortunately, I'm heading out that direction in a few days!

Great work, Tim!!

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  06:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim
The blending of the vertical wall and the back drop is near perfect. Always enjoy your photo updates.
Peter

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  08:17:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,
As usual, your work is superb. I was reading Chris's comments and thinking to myself, "Yep, he's right." Then I saw your photos... I must admit that I am suprised that the top is darker than the bottom of those mountains. I guess it just goes against what we view as "normal," but photos don't lie. You are spot on with your scenery! Bravo.

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  08:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim your foreground blend into the background is about the best I've ever seen.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  08:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

A superb job of representing the real world in miniature! As others have mentioned, the seamless transition from the layout to the backdrop is simply amazing.

Bruce

Quinn222
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  09:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've run out of superlatives, as always it looks fantastic. Your use of color and the way it blends with the backdrop is perfect.

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  11:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

Another great Vista mistah.

That's incredible scenery in the area you are modeling. The American western landscape is truly awesome and almost extra-terrestrial in its scope and variety. Your rendition and backdrops is giving a very convincing rendition of its grandeur and majesty.

Stevie O'D

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  4:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for the nice comments, its always good to hear that people like what you are doing.[:D

I am hoping to put together a short tutorial on using wax paper in scenery building. I have most of the photos taken, I just need to edit and crop the best ones.

I also have been working/playing on my super secret project that is coming up. One hint..its going to be a scratchbuilt project. (Ralph is influencing me)]

Edited by - Tim Kerkhoff on 08/23/2007 4:59:51 PM

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  6:24:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tim. Good to see the pictures. The soil is darker at the top and your formations are bang on.. Amazing. I still see a bit more green around and just above track level in the photos and in the valleys crevasses almost like individual patches grasses and bushes running down the slopes. Though the cliffs and fallout is definitely bare.

I put your photos into photoshop to bring out what I mean. I am not trying to be critical but it is just food for thought and consideration. It is great just the way it is.

This is truly going to be a great scene.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000