Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 56 ]  [ Total: 56 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  11:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, we made it back from terrific trip to Alaska. I thought I would post a couple photos.

We arrived by plane to Fairbanks, and then was transported by train to Denalia. What a great ride and gorgeous scenery.

We were in the last car on the train, so I could get plenty of photos as we went around curves etc. We spent 8 days exploring Alaska, we were fortunate to see alot of animals and had good weather.

Here is the ship that we cruised south to Vancouver on. Quite a ship and of course there was plenty to eat.

On our way south, the shipped stopped at Galcier bay. You can see that it was rather chilly outside, however some braved the cold in swimsuits. No that was not us.

It was a fun trip and made many wonderful memories.

Now that we are back home, its back to work on the layout. Tuesday night the guys came out and we finished up some wiring, and re-installed the mountain. Should be some updates in the near future.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  11:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim
Thanks for posting a few photos from your trip. It's easy to see and appreciate the beauty of Alaska.
Peter

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  01:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Tim, that looks like it was a great trip! I hope to get to Alaska one of these days, and to get there by train and enjoy it on a ship, well I'm sure it doesn't get any better than that!

Mark

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  06:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful! Both Slim Jerkins and myself are planning 25th anniversary Alaskan cruises. What ship did you sail?

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  09:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It was a great trip, we rode trains on 3 separate occasions. We also did the narrow guage rided in Skagway on the White mountain - Yukon RR.

Ralph - it was the Sapphire Princess of the Princess cruise lines. Holland America has ships that go to that area as well. I would check both of them out for the best deals. Princess has their own lodging places on land which were very nice. We did not do that many of the Princess tours as we found our own from private individuals. Saved money but also got that personal touch directly from the owners. There was 6 of us that went together which really makes for more enjoyment. We celebrated our 35th anniversary, and another couple had their 45th and another was celebrating his 60th birthday. There was alot of toasting going own,

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  09:53:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim
Great shots of your trip. The train goes through magnificent landscapes, and this huge ship is really impressive. Thanks for sharing these great moments and happy 35th anniversary.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  9:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pictures Tim.
Having never ridden in one of the tour cars I am curious if it is as luxurious as they say it is.
I have always ridden in the front cars that you see in your pictures.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  11:51:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

I have to say they are pretty darn nice cars. There tables where 4 people can sit across from one another. The glass starts about at your waist and goes above your head for viewing the great outdoors. There is a diner below each car where we had our meals. They were very nice, but to tell you the truth I was looking more forward to riding in the front cars.
Oh... there was a bar on the top level as well, with 2 servers. You wasn't going to get dehydrated.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  12:59:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Kerkhoff

You wasn't going to get dehydrated.

Or ,maybe you were...

great pics, glad you enjoyed the trip.

Karl.A

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  09:04:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like you had a great time. Nice pics Tim

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  7:32:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, ready for an update...............me too.

The story goes like this. I left on vacation and there was a few things unfinished. Return home and finish up the "to do list" (only to make another) However I noticed that I had a few flickering LEDS in the yard panels, but things were working. A bit bewildered about the flickering LED's, but why not finish the "to do list".
Last night the work crew was out and I wanted to test the electrical portion of new renovated area. Trains will run, turnouts will throw, no shorts...hooray I thought. Now lets check for detection so the signals will work. I figured there would be a couple small issues, that would be easily fixed. After 4 hours I still can't figure it out.
I thought I was a good troubleshooter too, well last night proved that theory wrong. I re-traced the wiring steps, tested detection cards, unsoldered and soldered wires. Grooooowlllled, said a few choice words to no avail.
Finally I gave up and went to bed. My thinking was that something will hit me, and gosh Tim how could you be so..dxxb..... Well, nothing hit me, and nothing today either. Tonight I tried a few more things and blah blah blah......grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Less things work now than they did before.

I don't believe I have ever been this frusterated over electronics before, but its getting the best of me. I know I will find the problem eventually, and once the problem is identified the solution will be easy. In the meantime I am fumming and I just thought I would share the frustrations.

Yes I already tried that too.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  7:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, in these situations, it is usually something so stupid, so obvious, that when you find what it is, you hate yourself for now seeing it in the first place!!!

Mark

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  10:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
By golly progress has been made and most if not all the electric gremlins are taken care of. Boy that wasn't fun. When it comes to electrical, there isn't much to take photos of, but alas there is some scenery work going on. Ballasting, fitting the mountain back in place and some structure building. Hopefully I will start posting again before to long.

In the meantime I had a New England guest stop by and visit. Carl Laskey came by, and it was great to meet another forum member, especially with Carl's talent. It was very nice to meet you Carl, and I hope to see you again this fall at the Craftman show in November.

Gosh its been almost a month since the last post.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  10:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was beginning to wonder if you were still working on your layout or not... Glad to hear that the electrical gremlins didn't get the best of you. Can't wait to see the updated photos!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  10:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear you got the electrical problems fixed Tim, now where are those progress pics?

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000